Made a mistake selling my RT800i's

Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
I got a great deal on some RT1000p's and had a friend who wanted to set up his very first surround system. As part of the great deal, I also had a pair of RT600's and a CS400i center.

So I sold him the RT800i's I had been using as fronts in my HT, as well as the 600's for surround duty and the CS400.

I really should have played with the RT1000's a lot more before selling off the 800's. I assumed I was making a move up the ladder, but that turns out not to be the case. Yeah, the bass is obviously stronger in the 1000's, because of the powered subs in each tower, but the mids are weaker and the overall presentation is lacking versus the 800's.

So that's my second mistake selling off speakers. The first was selling my Monitor 7C's.

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    I sold a pair of SDA 2B's to move to SDA 1.2's. Biggest mistake I've made in my audio journey since joining this forum. I still think about those mint 2B's and driving and sleeping in my car for two days to go get them. It is what it is though, and I do enjoy my new Dynaudio's.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    Sorry @Jimbo18.

Did you ask around here first? I haven't owned the 800s, but have owned the rt55s and the rt1000is and I would the rt55s in a heartbeat, exactly as you said.

The good news is that these pop up fairly regularly. I'll keep a lookout for some 55s if you're interested. Easier to ship than the 800s lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jimbo18
    Thanks, rooftop, I will be patient and keep watching CL. They often show up in this area. I was just mostly posting to let anyone else that is contemplating the change know that it's definitely not an upgrade.

And, btw, I did own some RT55's before the RT800's and prefer the 800's for bass.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Yes, unfortunately that was a mistake. The RT800s were pretty highly regarded for home theater systems with a subwoofer.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    How good a "friend" is he :*
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Sorry to hear that Jimbo, I would have told ya that wasn't an upgrade. Look at it differently, get yourself some Sig series Polk speakers. I much better RT type of sound.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    That's why it's good to have a room for all the speakers one Hoardes, you don't have to feel sorry about letting them go they are always there to return to thier rightful spot where they can replace the ones that you thought would best them.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    It was a set of RT1000Ps that brought me to the forum wondering why the bass sounded so boomy. At the time Circuit City still had a policy of giving full credit on upgrade speaker purchases within a year. Traded up to the RTi150s. Winning!
  • Jimbo18
    Yeah, if I had the room, I would still have several more sets of Polks. But, I was trying to help a friend out. He wanted an AVR that had two sub outs, he said his OCD wouldn't let him use just one. I could have given him the RT1000's but figured that would be overkill on the subs. The 800's with two subs sound awesome, btw.

I think @tonyb has the right idea. Going to have to save up some pennies for those. In the meantime, if some 800's show up nearby, I will go after those.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Just buy a boatload and leave them at somebody elses house. I do. You live just across the 150 bridge from me. When I run out of room at Mikes house, I'll just leave them at yours. Deal?
    And hey! Next time I'm back in town, come on over. Good times to be had.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    I didn't even know there was a Denver, NC. Jims good (patient) people.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I can throw a rock and hit his house.
  • Jimbo18
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I can throw a rock and hit his house.

That was you?!!! Dang, I beat the carp out of the neighbor for nothing.

And yeah, IF you ever stay at home long enough, we should get together.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Hey Jimbo - I too had a 7 channel HT setup with the Polk RT series. I had the RT800i's up front and absolutely loved them. Only reason I sold them was to go smaller in my room with limited floor space. I do miss them too!

Not sure where you're located, but there's a guy selling a pair of RTi70's in mint condition in Harrisburg, PA. These were the successor to the RT800i's. Personally (and I think I'm in the minority here) I like the looks of the RTiXXX series over the earlier RTXXXi series. I actually had a mix in my HT. My fronts were RT800i, center was CSi40, surrounds were FXi50, and rears were RT35i. I thought the finish on the RTiXXX series was much nicer. It was a little shinier, and had almost a very slight redish hue to the black finish. I liked it a lot.

Best of luck,
    -Al
  • Jimbo18
    scubalab wrote: »
    Hey Jimbo - I too had a 7 channel HT setup with the Polk RT series. I had the RT800i's up front and absolutely loved them. Only reason I sold them was to go smaller in my room with limited floor space. I do miss them too!

Not sure where you're located, but there's a guy selling a pair of RTi70's in mint condition in Harrisburg, PA. These were the successor to the RT800i's. Personally (and I think I'm in the minority here) I like the looks of the RTiXXX series over the earlier RTXXXi series. I actually had a mix in my HT. My fronts were RT800i, center was CSi40, surrounds were FXi50, and rears were RT35i. I thought the finish on the RTiXXX series was much nicer. It was a little shinier, and had almost a very slight redish hue to the black finish. I liked it a lot.

Best of luck,
    -Al

I live near Charlotte, NC. Somewhat ironically, I lived most of my life about an hour north of Harrisburg, Pa.

I had the 800's paired with a CS400 and loved it. Don't know what the heck I was thinking getting rid of them. The system I set up for my friend, sounds better than my own. D'oh!

I will keep the RTi's in mind. Haven't ever owned any of those and they don't seem to be as common as the RT series.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    I believe the RTiXXX series were the end of the run, but don't hold me to that!

Yeah, your front soundstage was darn near identical to what mine was several years back. It was incredible!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    ahh, Jim, really sorry to hear this. Sellers Remorse is a B.
    Good that you say you see these come up from time to time. Our local CL is awful; maybe see something decent and reasonable once every three years.

Probably don't need to say this, but gonna anyway - quit sellin' your old stuff before you're sure! I get that space is tight, but find a way, and if the wife complains, well... well, nevermind. You'll lose that battle and I don't want to be held responsible.

Hope you find another set soon and the numbers are right if that's what you want to do!
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jimbo18
    msg wrote: »
    ahh, Jim, really sorry to hear this. Sellers Remorse is a B.
    Good that you say you see these come up from time to time. Our local CL is awful; maybe see something decent and reasonable once every three years.

Probably don't need to say this, but gonna anyway - quit sellin' your old stuff before you're sure! I get that space is tight, but find a way, and if the wife complains, well... well, nevermind. You'll lose that battle and I don't want to be held responsible.

Hope you find another set soon and the numbers are right if that's what you want to do!

Scott, In this case, I had the room to keep the 800's for a while, I was just trying to be a nice guy. Obviously, I won't let that happen again :)

I see RT600's more often than 800's but they both show up every couple months.

Have even thought about trying some other brands. I picked up a pair of Energy speakers CB 10, and was surprised how good they sounded for a small bookie. I haven't been too keen on the Klipsch horns I have heard in the past, and thought that these might be similar, but the tweeter sounded pretty nice. They play way above their weight class, imho.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Yes, the dual woofers RT models we're better received.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,424
    Jimbo18 wrote: »
    Scott, In this case, I had the room to keep the 800's for a while, I was just trying to be a nice guy. Obviously, I won't let that happen again :)
    No, being nice does not pay. Being a thug, does, though. Especially the week after big game days. Or so I hear.
    I disabled signatures.