Woot!!! Finally a SDA owner

Options
Just picked up a pair of CRS.
6jee75zw8g8b.jpg

Only issue is no interconnect cable (dual blade type). From the schematics listed here, it's a '85ish model? I'll be making an IC cable with a Speakon, but I'm a bit confused about the pin outs for it. The schematic only shows one channel and it's unclear if the pins cross or stay in orientation from side to side, and then I've read that only one pin is actually active?

Looking for a little more clarification please.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    Blade/blade are both active. Do you know what drivers are in them? Seeing that they have dual tweeters both blades will be carring signal.
    The switch is inside the cabinet. Get good pictures of the wire orientation before you do anything. Each speaker is the opposite of the other so do not tear down both at same time or you could confuse yourself.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Good to know. I'll pull one apart and post the driver #s. I'm also wondering if this should go 194, or 198? So far as I can tell, they have the SL2K tweets.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Good to know. I'll pull one apart and post the driver #s. I'm also wondering if this should go 194, or 198? So far as I can tell, they have the SL2K tweets.

194's
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    RD-0194s are drop-in replacements. Once you get the IC squared away, try operating them with the dimensional tweeters disconnected. You may like it better.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • FestYboy
    Options
    You mean just the tweeters out of circuit? I always wondered why the next gen of CRS and some SDA2s only had the one tweet.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    Polk eliminated the dimensional tweeters after the 2nd generation. The outer tweeters are the ones to disconnect.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    Congrats on the SDAs.
    I disconnected the SDA tweeters on my 1A's and like it better.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Great pickup! I'm still on the lookout :)
  • Drahthaar
    Drahthaar Posts: 48
    Options
    Congrats, I picked up a pair about a year ago and love them. I also unhooked the SDA tweeter and cut out some of the harshness of the tweeters
  • FestYboy
    Options
    I'm hoping the swap to the 194s will help in that department. If I feel that the secondary tweeter still needs to go, then I'll have an extra pair for another project ;) and the 2000s will fill the void.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    Another advantage in not using the SDA tweeters is when you upgrade the x-overs there's half the tweeter circuit parts required.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    Congrats on the CRS's :)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Been wanting a pair of CRS's for a while. Good deal, you got some !
  • FestYboy
    Options
    I'll put it out there, voltz is the man! Hooked me up sumpin fierce! Can't wait to get these things fired up as they were meant to be.
  • FestYboy
    Options
    Ok, so after a generational snafu, voltz it STILL the man.... I'll just have to wait a little longer to get them doing the voodoo that they do so well.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    congrats - CRS are one of the ones I've yet to hear/try, but they are high on the list!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre