Set LSIM707 to "Small" or "Large" for 2-channel stereo

I have a pair of LSIM 707s deployed as fronts in my main 5.2 HT system (Center : 706c, surrounds 702 fx). I also have two Power Sound Audio xs15se subwoofers deployed in the system, and I have been wondering whether there would be any advantage to setting the 707s as "Large", exclusively for 2-channel stereo music (in which case I shall not use the subs), and set them to "SMALL" for all other HT duties... I do enjoy the Power Sound Audio subs for both music and HT movies, so if there is really no advantage in using the 707s exclusively in full-range "Large" mode for 2-channel music, then I would rather set them as "Small" for both 2-channel music and HT movie duties without doing any further tinkering...

I am powering the 2 fronts with 2 Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks, and the rest of the speakers with an XPA-5.

Thoughts?

Comments

  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 3,203
    Large
    Parlor: Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

    Dungeon: Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*Usher N-6361*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*IFI nano IDSD* Cambridge CXU*

    Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

    Head gear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S*

    Hello Kitty boombox

    Spares: Yamaha RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*


    Self Control is over rated.
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 1,349
    Your amps shouldn't have a problem power wise running them at large. The suggestion for small is because most people run HT systems with an AVR. Limited power, and nobody wants clipped speakers.

    Try different combinations, and whatever sounds best to your ears, go with that.

  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,357
    edited June 1
    rpf65 wrote: »

    Try different combinations, and whatever sounds best to your ears, go with that.

    This ^^^

    Personally, I like big floorstanders set to large, with or without a sub. They sound too thin to me set on small.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • GatecrasherGatecrasher Posts: 1,596
    edited June 10
    sahmen wrote: »
    I have a pair of LSIM 707s deployed as fronts in my main 5.2 HT system (Center : 706c, surrounds 702 fx). I also have two Power Sound Audio xs15se subwoofers deployed in the system, and I have been wondering whether there would be any advantage to setting the 707s as "Large", exclusively for 2-channel stereo music (in which case I shall not use the subs), and set them to "SMALL" for all other HT duties... I do enjoy the Power Sound Audio subs for both music and HT movies, so if there is really no advantage in using the 707s exclusively in full-range "Large" mode for 2-channel music, then I would rather set them as "Small" for both 2-channel music and HT movie duties without doing any further tinkering...

    I am powering the 2 fronts with 2 Emotiva XPA-1 monoblocks, and the rest of the speakers with an XPA-5.

    Thoughts?

    I would experiment and see what sounds best but with my AVR and my Polk SRTs, I set the satellites to "small".

    When I have them set to "large" the sound is somewhat muddled sounding where it's as-if the subs are conflicting with the satellites when it comes to the lows and mid frequencies. When I set the satellites to "small" I seem to get a much sharper definition between the lows and highs and a lot more punch from the subs.

    It's not a matter of power as much as what frequencies are directed to each speaker. The SC-09TX has ample power. In Stereo mode it has 269 watts per channel. By setting the AVR to "small", all of the lows are directed to the subs and not to the satellites. They get just the mids and highs. Your speakers might sound better set to high than the SRTs do though because they have drivers that are designed to produce lower frequencies than the SRT satellites probably are. That's why I'd probably use the recommendations from others as variables in your experimentation and then let you ears make the final decision for you. With my set-up it was a pretty-easy decision.

    Here's what the owner's manual for my Pioneer SC-09TX says about the small and large settings.

    "Select LARGE if your front speakers reproduce bass frequencies effectively, or if you didn't connect a subwoofer.

    Select SMALL to send the bass frequencies to the subwoofer."

    POLK AUDIO SRT
    (Signature Reference Theater)

    2rqdrna.jpg s6k686.jpg 11rgneu.jpg
    SRT 10.2 SYSTEM
    (4) SRT Subs & Satellites
    (2) SRT Center Speakers
    (2) SRT Control Centers w/Remote
    (4) f/x1000 Surrounds
    (2) PSW650 Subs
    Pioneer Elite SC-09TX AVR
    Pioneer Elite BDP-09FD Blu-Ray
    Pioneer Elite BDP-33FD Blu-Ray (Region-Free)
    Custom HTPC w/Multi-Lane SATA Hot-Swapable Drive RAID Tower
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,132
    tonyb wrote: »
    rpf65 wrote: »

    Try different combinations, and whatever sounds best to your ears, go with that.

    This ^^^

    Personally, I like big floorstanders set to large, with or without a sub. They sound too thin to me set on small.

    Yeah much like a tin can to me. Sound is tiny and the personality of the music or movie is taken out. This is at least my experience.
    Living room

    Mains: SDA 2B Studio
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved

    2 Channel/Bedroom

    Polk TSI 200
    Power: Yamaha Av34
    CDP: Technics SL-PD688
    TT: Pioneer PL510

    Noggin Rockin'

    Grado SR80e
    Harman Kardon CL
    Bravo V2 12AU7

    Closet of Dreams:

    Marantz PM235
    Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Paradigm Monitor 90
    Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition

    "Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
  • pearsall001pearsall001 Posts: 4,321
    Small at 60/80 Hz. The 707's aren't even close to what your subs can do. Your mids will open up, the tweeter will sparkle & the entire presentation will have more weight, body & the feel of the music.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Extensive room treatments
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!