Pro-ject MaIA

Hello
Is this a good amp? I know it's a subjective question, but I have never heard of this brand...
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/projmaiabla/pro-ject-maia-2-ch-x-25-watts-integrated-amplifier/1.html

Thanks
RTiA5 + CSiA4
No surround...yet
Pioneer VSX920

Comments

• rednedtugentrednedtugent Posts: 10,282
    I'll bite, fer what?
  • French_guyFrench_guy Posts: 174
    15 years ago, I purchased my 1st HT set: 4 Jamo bookshelves (Jamo Alto Signature), 1 center (Infinity) and a Jamo sub
    http://www.son-video.com/Rayons/Hifi/Enceintes/Jamo-Alto.html
    I sold 1 pair of speakers and the center, and kept 1 pair
    Those speakers won an award in France (“Diapason d’or”)…..I’m not using them anymore since I have now Polk RtiA5 for my HT
    I was thinking using them for a dedicated 2 channels rig…..and maybe make my 1st step in the “audiophile” world (I know that one is suggestive as well)
    So I’m looking for a decent integrated amp for music listening only

Thanks
    RTiA5 + CSiA4
    No surround...yet
    Pioneer VSX920
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 14,340
    It has Flying Mole modules.
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

I am always amused by solid state products that tout "tube like sound".
    It reminds me of that ancient ad campaign "It's just as good as a Xerox [machine]".

Right.

Or, perhaps, a KIA that's "just as good as a Mercedes".

:)

If ya want "tube like sound", it's hard (IMO, of course) to beat using vacuum tubes
    to get it.

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

I don't specifically want tube sound....i don't know what i want actually
    This is why i'm posting here
    I want "something" for music listening, that is decent and will help to "educate" me in the endless "audiophile" world (if it makes sense.....)
    RTiA5 + CSiA4
    No surround...yet
    Pioneer VSX920
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,534
    French_guy wrote: »
    I want "something" for music listening, that is decent and will help to "educate" me in the endless "audiophile" world (if it makes sense.....)

If you can find one, NAD C326BEE integrated amplifier. Cheap and is a great first step into better sound quality. Do some Googling for more information, I own one as part of my PC sound system and honestly...for the money it commands(very reasonable), it's difficult to beat.
    Living room: Samsung UN55KU7000 4K UHD HDR 55 inch TV, Marantz CD6004, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon, Parasound zPhono, Mac Mini, Oppo BDP-93, XBox One S 2Tb, Kenwood DPX792BH car deck for radio purposes, Marantz SR5010 AVR, Parasound HCA-1200II, Front SDA 2 modded with Larrys Rings and RD0-194-1 tweeters, Rear Onkyo SKF-4800 Towers, Center CSiA6, BOOM Tannoy TS2.12 Sub, Audioquest Evergreen interconnects just about everywhere except from AVR to amp, MIT Terminator 4, MIT AVT3 speaker cables with extra terminals covered up Monitor 5 Jr+ in the wings for a center channel.

Bedroom: Mac Mini, XBox One 500Gb+2TB External, Control Marantz SR6008 powering the top halves of the towers, Dumb amp Harman Kardon HK3490 powering the lower halves of the towers, RTiA7 passively bi-amped, Alpine CDA-9886 car deck for radio purposes, Schiit Asgard 2, Sony MDR-1R.

Keiko wrote: »
    That's offensive and not audio related. I'm telling! :#
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,357

Well, if you don't know what you want, and just are trying things hit or miss, that can get costly. I'd suggest to get out and get your ears on some stuff to find the sound you like and try and mirror that.

On the other hand, if you just want to use the extra set of bookies for music, are looking for a cheap alternative to power them, grab a vintage receiver for cheap. They have good power and sound most of them anyway. Depends on what you want to throw at building a 2 channel system, many options and many costly ones too.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    edited May 31
    tonyb wrote: »

Well, if you don't know what you want, and just are trying things hit or miss, that can get costly. I'd suggest to get out and get your ears on some stuff to find the sound you like and try and mirror that.

(emphasis added)

^^^ Truer words (at least in the context of the "hifi hobby") were never spoken.

Listen much
    Think often
    Trust but verify
    Talk little

;)

Yeah, but not always easy to find a place where to listen to some specific equipment...!!!
    RTiA5 + CSiA4
    No surround...yet
    Pioneer VSX920
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 37,671
    Pro-ject has been around a good while, known for their turntables.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

Yeah, but not always easy to find a place where to listen to some specific equipment...!!!

True, but doesn't have to be new gear. You have friends I hope. lol Maybe some Polkies are in your neck of the woods, arrange a get together, bring lots of beer.

If there is a certain piece your interested in, ask here for thoughts on it or other users. Tell us what kind of sound you like and musical preferences. We have guys that roll through gear as fast as a Kardashian taking a selfie. Chances are someone here has had one or still does.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

(emphasis added)

^^^ Truer words (at least in the context of the "hifi hobby") were never spoken.

Listen much
    Think often
    Trust but verify
    Talk little

;)

A characteristic not becoming of you Mark. lol Never known you to be at a loss for words. Well....once I think, but that was in the tasteless babe thread. ;)
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    PS Audio Quintet
    ;)

I meant listen to music, rather than talk about sound.
    Indeed, when you get down to it, taliking or reading about hifi is sort of like talking or reading about s-e-x.

In both cases, empiricism trumps therory (or even opinions, for that matter).

:)

o.k. what kind of music do you listen to?
    edited May 31
    I like vocals (female such as Lisa Gerard, Tracy Chapman, Florence and the machine, etc...), bands such as The Silencers, The Smiths, etc....Jazz and some classic music. And of course, some French bands that you probably don't know (I'm French)
    No rock, heavy metal, techno though...not at all !!!
    I like warm sound
    RTiA5 + CSiA4
    No surround...yet
    Pioneer VSX920
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,202
    Given that description the Dayens Ampino might be on your list. It has the sound you are after and can compete with tubes more so than any other budget friendly solid state does.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra, Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    well I do have 'Les Sinners'!
    I like vocals (female such as Lisa Gerard, Tracy Chapman, Florence and the machine, etc...), bands such as The Silencers, The Smiths, etc....Jazz and some classic music. And of course, some French bands that you probably don't know (I'm French)
    No rock, heavy metal, techno though...not at all !!!
    I like warm sound

Good Speakers btw.
    I moved up from budget vintage receiver to affordable with the
    Yamaha A-S2100 and couldn't be happier. “Chacun voit midi à sa porte”

edited June 1
    I think "chacun voit midi a sa porte" can't be more true when it comes to our hobby....
    So you do know the Jamo Alto Signature?
    I was also looking at the Marantz line, such as the PM6005.......
    RTiA5 + CSiA4
    No surround...yet
    Pioneer VSX920