I like Tidal but

2»

Comments

• kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 2,762
    Spotify supposedly has 40 million plus subscribers. I expect there is going to be a shakeout and/or consolidation in the online streaming music business. I had Rhapsody about 10 years ago (now called Napster). Rhapsody bought out Napster and then adopted their name. I would not be surprised to see another consolidation/merger happen- kinda like what happens in the Cable TV industry. Companies can leverage the subscriber income stream from the company they want to buy out to get financing for the buyout.

I like Spotify much more than the old Rhapsody. Music streaming may eventually lead to the death of the CD.
    Sure.....and the greater efficiencies are passed onto the customer. Wait, less competition in the marketplace is better for the customer?!?
    I guess what Im getting at in my mind is...is there a noticeable difference in the Spotify SQ vs. streaming Spotify for free, because I think I can rationalize 10 bucks a month, but not 20.

• $10 a month seems to be a magic #. Can anyone say Netflix fast 3 times? At least with these music streamers, the artists are now getting royalty payments.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,859
    I'm not dogging on anyone (honest) but I don't understand how someone can feel that $20 a month is unacceptable for CD quality streaming of 46 million + songs.
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 2,762
    Not unacceptable by any measure....just looking at the big picture of the cost to run a household of four other people, DirecTV, ATT, blah,blah, blah. It really is a deal when compared to the freaking internet/phone and TV bills.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,632
    I rationalized the 20 a month by not buying CD's, it's saving me money, time, space....
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,218
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I'm not dogging on anyone (honest) but I don't understand how someone can feel that $20 a month is unacceptable for CD quality streaming of 46 million + songs.

Ditto.....the difference is 10 bucks....one trip to Micky D's, 2 rental movies from on demand, one cheap bottle of wine, less than a 12 pack of beer, about 3 bottled waters if your out and about.

If better music quality isn't worth 3 bottled waters to you, then music quality in general doesn't hold much value in your mind. I get 10 bucks to some is stretching a household budget, but the same have no problem spending that 10 spot on things I just mentioned.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 797

They are probably wringing their hands, in the hopes of $19.99 some day
  • tonyb wrote: »

Ditto.....the difference is 10 bucks....one trip to Micky D's, 2 rental movies from on demand, one cheap bottle of wine, less than a 12 pack of beer, about 3 bottled waters if your out and about.

If better music quality isn't worth 3 bottled waters to you, then music quality in general doesn't hold much value in your mind. I get 10 bucks to some is stretching a household budget, but the same have no problem spending that 10 spot on things I just mentioned.

This is a tough choice - beer or music? Kind of like the old Jack Benny show where Jack was held up at gun point and the thief puts it to Jack: "Your money or your life!" and, after a long pause, the crook asks Jack, "Well, what's it gonna be?" and Jack replies, "I'm thinking." DBT has decisively proven time and time again that music sounds much better after the consumption of at least 3 beers.

dnrl1romik97.png

wstaw4f9g0sd.png
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,928

If Satan want anymore of my money he's ganna have to take it.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,218
    "DBT has decisively proven time and time again that music sounds much better after the consumption of at least 3 beers."

Don't know about that, kinda like the old sayin'..."The more I drink the better you look." :)
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,416
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Not unacceptable by any measure....just looking at the big picture of the cost to run a household of four other people, DirecTV, ATT, blah,blah, blah. It really is a deal when compared to the freaking internet/phone and TV bills.

I completely hear ya, family of six here, lots of expenses (and they haven't even gotten to the age where I know they will be REALLY expensive!).

But two counterpoints:
    1. Surely you purchase some new music. One cd or record at least covers the 10 spot (I hardly buy music anymore).
    2. I have trimmed the budget in other areas. Cricket for my wireless plan (works fine for me), playstation vue and plex for tv, cut the home phone line, etc.

Now, if you're not doing any paid streaming, just spotify free and pandora, and you would rather spend that $20 on music that you can keep, I understand that. But at that rate it will take an entire human life to build up a decent percentage of the library tidal or spotify have...good luck!
    I can safely say that at least 75% of what is on there I would never buy. It is probably more like 90%. It has been two months on tidal so far and I found one "must have" cd.
    If Pol Pot owned Tidal would you subscribe? I wouldnt and I like Pol Pot a lot better than Madona.
    zyos27tlc97n.jpg
    Ok I hate Tidal now
  • Pol Pot did do a much better and believable cover of "Like a Virgin" than Madonna.
    On a serious note, wil albums come and go like movies do on Netflix?
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 3,416
    afterburnt wrote: »
    On a serious note, wil albums come and go like movies do on Netflix?

I've seen very little of that in the time I've been using it. Mostly just add albums. Once in a while an artist pulls an album. But usually if it's anywhere it's on tidal since they pay a bit more Supposedly....
2»