Without a case

mantis
mantis Posts: 17,032
Hello everyone,
Ever try to use a iPhone 7 plus without a case? I kind it barely usable as it just slips right out of your hand. I would probably drop it almost ever time I tried to use it if I didn't have a case on it.
I took my case off today and cleaned it inside and out. Wiped the phone down and I had to do it over my table as I felt I was gonna drop it. I can't see how anyone uses it without a case. Its to damn thin.
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I would never use any cellphone without a case, they are way too expensive to risk dropping and shattering into a million pieces.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have the 7, which replaced my broken 5. In the first four months I have dropped it more than I did in 4 years with the 5. If they still offer the 5SE when the 8 comes out then I am getting the 5, and use the 7 as a spare.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Yeah, all new devices I've tried seem too slickery and not even comfortable to use without protection.

87dhbaxflzot.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I use the otter box defender because part of my job is construction type work and I carry it in my pocket. Extra protection for when something heavy bumps against my pocket. I also own the otter box symmetry case. Somewhat slimmer but still lots of protection. I always ask hipsters I see rockin no case if they have ever dropped it? Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • msg
    I like the Otterbox Defender cases, too. SEIDIO used to make some really good ones, but I don't like their new designs as much. I think there's a push for case manufacturers to provide best protection while reducing bulk. I never really cared much about the bulk, again, since I find it easier to handle a bulkier phone.

Only thing I don't like about the Otterbox Defenders is the built in screen protector. I usually pop that out, and install my own on the device itself. Used to use Zagg's Invisible Shield, but I don't know what's happened to them. Their product line seems slim these days. I've recently switched over to Armorsuit's Military Shield products. Particularly enjoy their matte shield screen protectors. They're not quite as clear as the gloss, but smoother to use and non-reflective.

v5x2zuln66ci.jpg
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited May 2017
    I used to use Zagg film but once i tried the tempered glass stuff by supershieldz the film is so yesterday. The glass still protects the phone glass hard as a diamond don't scratch and is very finger sensitive. So for like 5$ its all i get now. The fine folks i order my cases from off ebay include a tempered glass with every case now. I just toss them in the phone box just in case i ever need to use it, never have yet. So for 7$ you get both case and glass. Case's i buy are very sturdy protective and not the jelly silicone type. Mine actually has a carbon fiber back.
  • msg
    Is the one you have raised? I tried something similar, but it was raised, and wasn't very smooth to use.

You said a whole lot there, Ivan, but didn't really provide any useful information lol :p
    I disabled signatures.
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I have the 7, which replaced my broken 5. In the first four months I have dropped it more than I did in 4 years with the 5. If they still offer the 5SE when the 8 comes out then I am getting the 5, and use the 7 as a spare.

Perfect point "Newer is NOT always Better".

What I find unbelievable with today's technology is that they won't come out with an unbreakable screen. I'm sure it's all about money, why make something unbreakable when you know people will break it and you can charge them $200+ to fix it. No you make it even harder to hold onto so it will get broken more often. Heck you cant even replace the battery without paying Apple or whoever makes your new phone what another $200.

I will NEVER have one. IMO It just a useless money pit!
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Apropos of nothing (what else is new? ;)) -- the title of this thread makes me think of a fine if slightly obscure old 'OO song:

https://youtu.be/0wYS0u0s1Wk
    I've got a Gibson, without a case
    But I can't get that even-tanned look on my face
    Ill-fitting clothes, and I blend in the crowd
    Fingers so clumsy, voice too loud
    But I'm one...

:)