Advice (please) needed re RTA12b fuse

Haven't been on in a while -posting for a friend who purchased a pair of 12b's off craigslist in Franklin, TN earlier this week. He just blew a fuse while (perhaps) over-driving them with a 75Wpc Yamaha htr-5540...so, with a huge please and advance thank you...can anyone offer advice on a replacement fuse and thoughts (beyond overdriving) on why they might have blown? I'll try to get a picture of the fuse up. Cheers and peace on this Memorial Day weekend.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    .75 amp fast blow.

Only one reason it blew, clipping.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• elitt
    elitt Posts: 162
    Much obliged. And I'll suggest more power! Auto parts store ok?
  • F1nut
    Any place that sells that spec fuse is fine.

That was a $300 entry level AVR. It has no business trying to drive those speakers.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• elitt
    elitt Posts: 162
    Thank you so much. And Dave, if you're reading....I iwe you a long overdue post/thank you for the dreadnaught. It's gorgeous and sounds amazing.
  • scottger
    scottger Posts: 3
    Hey can I use a 1amp fuse if I keep the volume really low until the correct one arrives? I can't find these anywhere save for online...
  • F1nut
    As long as you keep it low you'll be fine, but definitely order the proper fuse.

President of Club Polk

• scottger
    I so appreciate the help...So here’s what happened. I put the new fuses in, turned on the receiver, turned down the volume, and started playing Wagner at very low volume. Well the fuses tripped immediately. So, I grabbed the 1a fuse (instead of the 3/4 which is what was originally in there), and started with a different approach. I unplugged the line to the speakers, had the volume on the receiver all the way down, and then turned it on and things are working. I don’t know if it’s how I connected them this time? Should I do the same with the proper fuses?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Unplugged the line to the speakers? The speaker wire?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • scottger
    edited June 2017
    yes, the speaker wire...I know, it sounds silly.