Singles....what do I do with these...

kevhed72
kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
I have a ton of them....they seem like one of the most useless mediums ever. I hate the fact they usually are the "best" two songs from an entire album, when they are from an era where bands focused on making entire albums vs. one pop song. Opinions....is they a collectors market for these ?.
?

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Download them and store them away....what else is there to do with them.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • kevhed72
    tonyb wrote: »
    Download them and store them away....what else is there to do with them.

Good idea....but I don't have any of the gear to do that properly. It looks like some of them came out of a jukebox, which is kinda interesting. To think some of these things were being listened to by people in a malt shop or bar somewhere in Chicago back in the 50s...my guess most people could care less these days.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Back in the day..a single was exposure for an artist..radio air play..Long before LP records became the norm...depending on what you have..by what artist,you could be sitting on a gold mine...Even those old labels could be worth a fortune since the recording company doesn't exist anymore...I'd be checking them out real careful..
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,306
    I'd be interested if you have some stuff I like.
    Ha, hearing your description and mention of the malt shop, I got a visual that took me way back to my crush on Betty from the Archie comics.
    About two weeks ago.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Sell great on eBay if you are talking about 45's? Only if it is a famous artist. Beatles, Elvis,Cash etc. Peaple who have Juteboxes collect them. Pace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    msg wrote: »
    I'd be interested if you have some stuff I like.
    Ha, hearing your description and mention of the malt shop, I got a visual that took me way back to my crush on Betty from the Archie comics.
    About two weeks ago.

Obviously, a Mary Ann guy also then.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited May 2017
    I also miss the old lunch counters you would find at Rexall and FW Woolworth.... I am toying with the idea of trying to resurrect that concept so the wife and I can work together. An upscale version could be just the ticket to grab some baby-boomer cash from those on a nostalgia kick.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kevhed72
    I also miss the old lunch counters you would find at Rexall and FW Woolworth.... I am toying with the idea of trying to resurrect that concept so the wife and I can work together. An upscale version could be just the ticket to grab some baby-boomer cash from those on a nostalgia kick.

You know....that's not the worse idea I've ever heard.....actually like it. My Aunt and Uncle are on a road trip out west and posted pics of the Wall Drug store they stopped by in a Montana to get a nickel cup of coffee. The place had a cool, old school look to it. I think many people are sick of everything being a chain type restaurant....count me in!
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Yep. Mom used to take us to Woolworths in SC when we were youngins. Old juke in the back near the tables. Good stuff you don't see anymore.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I stuff mine in g-strings at the local establishment, just to help boost the economy.
  • tonyb
    Many good memories at the old Woolworth counter. Actually the Mexicans have something similar. In my neck of the woods anyway, you can go into a Mexican grocery store, and on the inside is a place where you can sit, get all the usual Mexican foods grilled up right there. It's not a counter per say like Woolworths, but similar.

Aside from the usual foods at Woolworth, the side attraction was the soda fountain aspect, shakes, floats, etc. A piece of Americana that slipped away. Though back then, you didn't have the competition you do today with even fast food joints serving breakfast, burgers, shakes and floats. McDonalds shakes was top dog back then, along with DQ. Then the ultimate drive in showed up, A&W, and blew our minds.

I would imagine in todays world of regulations, licensing, certifications,etc., that concept would be a pain in the arse to resurrect. Be kinda nice though to see Walgreens or similar try it though. I can see it working in smaller towns, not big cities though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I stuff mine in g-strings at the local establishment, just to help boost the economy.

So that was you walking around Nordstrom's stuffing bills in the panties on the rack. I heard stories...thought it was my cousin though.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    kevhed72 wrote: »

You know....that's not the worse idea I've ever heard.....actually like it. My Aunt and Uncle are on a road trip out west and posted pics of the Wall Drug store they stopped by in a Montana to get a nickel cup of coffee. The place had a cool, old school look to it. I think many people are sick of everything being a chain type restaurant....count me in!

Wall drug is in Wall,South Dakota... love it there.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I have a ton of them....they seem like one of the most useless mediums ever. I hate the fact they usually are the "best" two songs from an entire album, when they are from an era where bands focused on making entire albums vs. one pop song. Opinions....is they a collectors market for these ?.
    ?

I like the 45 singles in the picture sleeves. If you have any you want to sell send me a PM with a list and if they interest me I'll make you an offer. Are they in decent shape?