Phono Tour - Vista Audio Phono 2

2»

Comments

• dromundsdromunds Posts: 6,097
    Thanks.
    Received the unit today. Will inbox later and hopefully be able to put her thru the paces soon
    Skip, is Muncybob next? If so, one of y'all please let me know address and I'll get 'er shipped for the next participant.
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,661
    If I am next please bump me down one slot...preamp still not back from the shop :(
    Yep, my name really is Bob
    This baby is shipped!
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,661
    Looking forward to playing with this. Their website has suggested load/gain for some carts but of course mine being older(Shure V15 type V) is not listed...any suggestions?
    Yep, my name really is Bob
    Skip has a database on the 1st page of this thread that has the load and gain for various cartridges. He has two Shures listed and they are both 23kohm loads and 40 db gain, but neither is a V15. I used a Shure M91ED cart and I don't recall the load and gain I used off the top of my head, but I left the phono preamp with those settings, I seem to remember it was 47kohm load and maybe 50 db gain. It seems a bit difficult to find the load and gain settings on the internet for the V15 Type V, but I think I found the settings for the load on the Type IV - which appear to be 47kohm load but I couldn't find the gain on a quick search - didn't have much time sorry. I would try the V15 Type V with the 47 load setting that its currently set at, and try to look harder for the gain on the Type V. It may turn out its 50 db gain like the M91ED, I don't know, but if that's the case it would be set up when you receive it. You could talk to Skip about changing the load setting if you find its other than 47Kohm. Most MM carts are default 47kohm IIRC, but some have max benefits at other than 47. As Skip's database shows, the Shure M97XE has a load of 23kohm. The phono preamp is super easy to change once you understand the basic concept of the setting tabs.
2»