Phono Tour - Vista Audio Phono 2

DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,533
edited May 26 in 2 Channel Audio
With so many questions arising recently about budget friendly phono preamps, I decided to try and get another tour up off the ground for you guys. This time, it is a product I technically do not carry, but I have some pull to make it happen.

Enter the Vista Audio Phono 2:

http://vista-audio.com/products/phono-2/index.htm

This is a fully adjustable Phono and retails at $399.

This will take a few weeks to get off the ground. If interested please sign up using the same method found on the Wireworld thread. Go to the contact page on my website and put "Phono Tour" in the subject. Provide your full name, Polk Audio username, and your shipping address.

https://www.audiothesis.com/contact

Like the Wireworld demo, there might be a small fee associated as a holdover for those I have reservations with. This would include fresh-off-the-boat members or longtime members with no real presence. However, this trial is open to anyone who wants to be a part of it.
audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
Cabling: Wireworld
TV: Sony XBR-75X940C

Comments

• DaveHoDaveHo Posts: 1,532
    Sweet! Count me in. Perfect timing as I'm looking to upgrade from my Cambridge Audio 640p Info submitted.
  • andrew82andrew82 Posts: 150
    Sounds great! I've been looking to try out a new phono amp.

Thanks for putting this together Skip!
    @DSkip, has this gotten any traction? Looking to upgrade soon & would like to give the Vista a shot.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,533
    I'm sending an email now. I'll be out of town for two weeks starting July 1, so it will likely happen after that.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Excellent! Thanks for putting this together.
    This is about to happen. If you are interested, please sign up as the unit will probably ship sometime this week.
    audiothesis.com/

We have a grand total of.... FOUR participants! This is a free (excluding shipping to next person) two-week trial with a well-received phono.

Dave, you are first on the list. Let me know if you need to move to second on the list to prepare for the trial.

Current list is:

1. DaveHo
    2. andrew82
    3. indyhawg
    4. dromunds
    audiothesis.com/

@DSkip, I'm good being first. Still shipping this week? If so I'll place my order for the TubeBox DS and maybe one more to do a comparison.
    I'm going to provide your info to them today and it will ship when they have a chance. This tour has officially started!
    audiothesis.com/

• muncybobmuncybob Posts: 1,661
    Skip...somehow missed this. just signed up if not too late.
    Yep, my name really is Bob
    Another member has been added to the list:

5. Muncybob
    audiothesis.com/

Is this shipping from the US distributor or from Europe?
    It will ship from Verty Audio in New York.
    audiothesis.com/

All participants - I need one more things from you all and this can be posted in this thread. Please provide the cartridge information so instructions can be provided to set the Phono 2 correctly. The input is highly customizable so this is vital information.

Thanks
    audiothesis.com/

edited June 29
    Audio Technica 440mla which is an MM cart with a spec'd 4.0mV output.

Will the distributor provide any resistors for custom loading? I know the dip switches provide some degree of customization, but from what I can gather my cart works best with a 32-36 kOhm load which I don't believe is achievable using the dip switches.

And I just placed an order for a Pro-Ject Tube Box DS to compare. Should be here Saturday so that'll give me a few days to get acquainted with it before the Vista arrives.
    Shure V15 Type V
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 820
    Denon DL-103R
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 6,100
    Probably start with Denon DL-160.
    May switch out to Denon DL-103D but not sure yet
    edited June 29
    Nevermind on the resistors. Bought a bunch of Vishay/Dale's of different values from Mouser to try.
  • andrew82andrew82 Posts: 150
    Audio Technica: AT95E
    I may use the Denon DL-160 and a Goldring 1012GX, rather than the Denon DL-103D for this.
    A database so far to help those in the tour:

http://vista-audio.com/products/phono-1mkII/examples.htm

The unit has shipped!
    audiothesis.com/

Cool. The Tube Box DS I'll be comparing the Vista to came yesterday. Listened to 4 LPs & am pretty impressed so far. Can wait to get the Vista!
    This one continues to trek on. Anyone interested can still get in on this one.
    audiothesis.com/

Just read the 1st review and looking forward to this. I'm assuming I'm last on the list and if not please put me there, having some trouble with my preamp again.
  • mwk455mwk455 Posts: 185
    Let me know if it's still going around ? Would like to give it a try.
  • mwk455mwk455 Posts: 185
    My cart is a Denon dl110
    mwk455 wrote: »
    Let me know if it's still going around ? Would like to give it a try.

Hello mwk. I'm sorry I missed this until now, but the tour is still active. If you wish to join, please follow the instructions in the first post.

As of now, indy has finished his time and dromunds is up next.
    audiothesis.com/

Indy, please send me a PM whenever you forward it and let me know anticipated arrival/ tracking number. Thanks. -Don
  • indyhawgindyhawg Posts: 820
    Don--I just sent you and Skip an email with the shipment info. Have fun with this when it arrives. Jeff