Average volume for listening

What's everyone's average db level for listening. I find that I really rarely "crank it up" and if I do it's only for a short passage in a song. It sounds great but I don't find it as pleasing to listen at 95-100db as say 75db.

Comments

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,915
    Isn't 100 supposed to be the pain threshold? I rarely go above 80 but mostly much lower. I like my ears, given the choice I would probably rather stare into the sun.
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 60
    On an Audyssey calibrated system typically -20 to -10 dB.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 8,942
    Depending on the music, and day of the week, between the high 60s, and into the 70s. For example, currently listening to a string quartet, and it is in the high 60s. Listening to rock on Friday and Saturday night will get into the 80s, with, maybe, a brief period in the 90s.
  • jayman_1975jayman_1975 Posts: 607
    edited May 25
    Yeah it probably would be. I'll measure tomorrow where I mostly listen and at what db level I would count as cranking it up. I think I hit 90db once when I was trying out my new amp but only kept it there for a maybe 10 or so seconds. I suppose I have never seen 100db as it wasn't too comfortable at 90 even.
    mpitogo wrote: »
    mpitogo wrote: »

Mine is Audessy calibrated and I usually listen at -20 to -30 even depending on the music. . If I'm feeling particularly frisky I might hit -10 but not often
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 1,066
    I do't have the exact figures handy, Senator, but rest assured it's somewhere between loud and louder.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 37,312
    edited May 26
    One thing you guys need to specify is which scale on the SPL meter you are using.

If you're hitting 90 to 100 on the "C" scale and it doesn't sound good you need better gear. With better gear you don't notice how loud or even louder than 100dB is.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,841
    I don't have a dB meter but I'd guess I average high 70's low 80's.
  • Joey_VJoey_V Posts: 5,701
    70s
  • dannylightningdannylightning Posts: 85
    edited May 26
    my meter shows in the 60-70's most of the time.. when i feel like cranking it up 80ish db seems good, its loud but not really loud.

those of you talking about odyssey and negative db numbers. if you were listening at -10db you would not be able to hear the music. its showing you a adjustment number not the db you are hearing the music at.

human berating measure around 10db, a human talking 60db, a alarm clock 80db, chain saw 110db, if its too loud your too old.... lol.
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 60
    Playing classical music Tchiskovsky Pathetic at times it hits 85dB slow response A weighted.
  • machonemachone Posts: 693
    I set my A weighted meter to hold peaks when I listen.
    80-85 is the average peek with 90 on the high side.
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,012
    Don't have a meter but I guess it would depend on if I have had some big boy drinks or not and if it is the weekend. If those two are met then ear bleeding will commence.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,264
    kharp1 wrote: »
    I do't have the exact figures handy, Senator, but rest assured it's somewhere between loud and louder.

I measured in the mid '90s on the weekend with my rig, A weighted, I'm in the Loud and Louder camp too. Who put in big boy amplifies if ya ain't gonna crank it I say? :)
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 8,942
    F1nut wrote: »
    One thing you guys need to specify is which scale on the SPL meter you are using.

If you're hitting 90 to 100 on the "C" scale and it doesn't sound good you need better gear. With better gear you don't notice how loud or even louder than 100dB is.

That is the truth. While I wasn't using my SPL meter at the time, when I blew up my S5 MKI speakers I was literally being pounded by the sound. Yet, I was thinking how can this sound so good, but be so loud. LOL

Prior nights before that I consistently measured in the 100s with peaks over 110db. Never again. That was an expensive lesson. :)

• mrbironmrbiron Posts: 4,126
    When the family is home......Moana plays at a 50-60
    When the family is NOT home, i crank Moana up to 80-90.

You're welcome!
  • halohalo Posts: 3,508
    SPL meter, C weighted, shows that I'm in the high 60 dB to mid 70 dB range most of the time.
  • Erik TracyErik Tracy Posts: 4,691
    edited May 26
    "C" weighting, fast response SPL meter.

I measured avg 85 dB for *critical* listening.

Scare the neighbors loud with Sabbath was measured at 98 dB peaks.

Measured distance from speakers with the SPL meter - 12 ft.

Clean, pure, and totally awesome.
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,370
    I use a meter at home most of the time and try for around 80-85 also.

it is Funny when you leave the room and now you notice how loud it is :p as it didn't sound as loud when your in the room in the sweet spot!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 13,889
    mrbiron wrote: »

You're welcome!

Signature-worthy material, right there, folks.
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,595
    75-80 dBC
  • gcegce Posts: 2,035
    Mine goes to 11.
  • drumminmandrumminman Posts: 3,342
    F1nut wrote: »

Totally agree. I can have it loud and not realize it's making it difficult to converse with the person next to me because it's so clean.
    I was listening tonight on my second rig at 85db and it was clean and not stressed. Any more and I feel it would start to fall apart. Mind you this is with a cheaper Yamaha integrated amp providing the muscle. 80wpc. On my main rig I have stand alone 2 channel amp at 300wpc and can hit 105db and it's clean and crisp. Louder than I would listen to for very long but still tight as a whip.
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 911
    DSkip wrote: »
    If the bass doesn't adjust my hearts rhythm, it isn't loud enough.

Sig. material. Love it.
  • ThortonThorton Posts: 911
    Usually 80 - 90+ db depending on my mood and the content. 60 db'ish is background music.
  • Moose68BashMoose68Bash Posts: 3,249
    When my wife is listening, no greater than 65 dB.

When I'm alone, it depends on the music. Symphonic music requires a higher level because of the dynamic range. Solo cello is great at a lower level -- say 70 dB.

Pavarotti: As loud as I can stand it, but no greater than 85 dB, which is where I believe damage to the hearing begins.

I don't listen to much rock music, but when I do, I say Skip hit the nail on the head.
  • WillowWillow Posts: 8,659
    mrbiron wrote: »

You're welcome!

So you really like to let system shine, shine ,shine when no one is around?! That's cool.