You have a $4000 budget, what would you buy?

Comments

• SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,534
    halo wrote: »
    Russ, you're going to have to stop by before we move.

I heard Chicago took away his key to the city, not sure if they banned him.
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,444
    Rick88 wrote: »
    LOL.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Who the hell is Scott?!?!

I thought you were Scott... :/

LOL. I get people's names here confused too. I recently sent halo (Victor) a message and called him Gary. Gary is halo71... :)

One of the advantages to having your name as your username. B)

Yet I'm still Doug.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher: CP-6311, Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15, RTA 15tl, Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, iFi LS3.5
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,312
    For $4K I would get a power cord.

Just kidding, but I would.

I would spend a few dollars more and get the TOTL PSB speakers. They replaced the PSB Synchrony One, and I love my pair of Synchrony Ones. They replaced my SDA 2, and led me onto my speaker upgrade path.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • audiocr381veaudiocr381ve Posts: 2,567
    Steve, I get what you're saying about the Harbeths although I loved my Super HL5's.

I've owned so many pairs of speakers in the $2k-$5k range, and I can honestly say that I can't remember anything wrong with the PSB Synchrony One's that I had for a few months. They sounded absolutely amazing. Voices, check. Dynamics, check. Full range, check. Musical,
    check. I only let them go to fund other things but I will eventually own another pair.

Good luck man! I remember you being so content with those Harbeths. Funny how things change.
    || Polk SDA-CRS+ with all the goodies
    || Totem Hawk
    || Pass Labs Aleph 30
    || Rogue Perseus Magnum Tube Preamp
    || Dodd Reference Level Preamp
    || Chord Hugo
    || Wyred 4 Sound Remedy
    || Tidal
    || Squeezebox Touch
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 17,837
    I don't have a synchrony budget, but the Imagine T2 is no my possibility list.
    Source: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75 | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,383
    Man what's a guy gotta do to have a good rep
    Next time don't be so stingy with the booze, blow and the hookers...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Walker Precision Motor Drive with ClearAudio Titanium v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

Men are like a very fine wine. They start off as grapes, and it takes the love of a Woman to stomp the crap out of them in order to make them something modestly acceptable to have dinner with...
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 1,989
    edited May 29
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I would take a look at Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or Revel Performa3 F208 (may be a bit above budget, but much better bass than the F206). They may do some things better and look more impressive than Polk LSiM705s, but they do cost more too.

Focal and Harbeth sounds are about as far apart as speaker manufacturers can get.
    Oh, man do I agree about the Harbeth, Focal difference even though I've only spent limited time listening to both at a show. There are so many things that he may or may not like. Still, if he wants different...Different they are. I dug the 948's however.

As far as the Venere 3.0 and the S...I dug those also. However, I absolutely love the cabinet design and walnut finish, Oh Man! Yes, their top speaker finishes are pure sex. However the cabinet design of the Venere does not disappoint and is a working mans Aida... in cabinet design...anyway.

However, all said and done....with a $4K budget and wanting to move further out there in the audio realm of musical ability.....

I think he should take Skip's advice and move on those Usher Dancer CP-8571's. Especially given he has the space for them! One one year old , $10,500 speakers for $3500 asking price! Would need to find a company to crate and ship them but this is nothing new.

I'm a couple of hours away from them and have family in the area...if I can be of any help, let me know. I would love to listen to them any way...LOL!

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649342111-usher-audio-dancer-cp8571-diamonddmd-speakers-one-year-old/

Post edited by WLDock on
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
    edited May 29
    I have no delusions that a $4k floorstander is going to be a big move from Harbeth 7-es's. I'm looking for a different sounding speaker; if I can get some Harbeth midrange/treble goodness mixed in, all the better.

As I said in the opening, I'm looking for larger scale, and a bit more up-front presentation. Harbeth's are "smoking jacket" speakers, I'm wanting something more balsy and exciting.

The Harbeth question reminds me of comments many motorcycle magazine writers would make about Honda'a offerings; "Honda's are so good at so many things, they're boring."

Source: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75 | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,779
    WLDock wrote: »
    I would take a look at Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or Revel Performa3 F208 (may be a bit above budget, but much better bass than the F206). They may do some things better and look more impressive than Polk LSiM705s, but they do cost more too.

Focal and Harbeth sounds are about as far apart as speaker manufacturers can get.
    Oh, man do I agree about the Harbeth, Focal difference even though I've only spent limited time listening to both at a show. There are so many things that he may or may not like. Still, if he wants different...Different they are. I dug the 948's however.

As far as the Venere 3.0 and the S...I dug those also. However, I absolutely love the cabinet design and walnut finish, Oh Man! Yes, their top speaker finishes are pure sex. However the cabinet design of the Venere does not disappoint and is a working mans Aida... in cabinet design...anyway.

However, all said and done....with a $4K budget and wanting to move further out there in the audio realm of musical ability.....

I think he should take Skip's advice and move on those Usher Dancer CP-8571's. Especially given he has the space for them! One one year old , $10,500 speakers for $3500 asking price! Would need to find a company to crate and ship them but this is nothing new.

I'm a couple of hours away from them and have family in the area...if I can be of any help, let me know. I would love to listen to them any way...LOL!

http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649342111-usher-audio-dancer-cp8571-diamonddmd-speakers-one-year-old/

I want the CP 8571's.... How do i get them shipped to me?

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7702 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo BDP-103D | Sony PS4 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 64" Plasma | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A23 x2 Amps Parsound Halo A21 Amp & P5 Pre | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's| Usher BE-616 Center|KEF T100 Surrounds | SVS SB2000 Sub |Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | Marantz SA8004 SACD | Bluesound Node 2 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Budgie Phono Pre | Samsung 50" SUHD TV

Patio Polk Atrium 8's |Marantz 2252B |

Office Bluesound Node | Audioengine P4 | Peachtree Nova 125SE |

Closet | SDA SRS 2.3's | Monitor 5B's Yamaha M80 | Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2385
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 1,989
    edited May 29
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,505

Sheetfire Mikey! I'll run up there and crate them myself! Bring em to you. You feed and beer me for a week and it's a deal.
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I don't have a synchrony budget, but the Imagine T2 is no my possibility list.

Yeah you do. Hit audiogon for a really good deal on a pair of Synchrony One's.

|| Totem Hawk
    || Pass Labs Aleph 30
    || Chord Hugo
    || Wyred 4 Sound Remedy
    || Tidal
    || Squeezebox Touch
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,717
    lightman1 wrote: »

Sheetfire Mikey! I'll run up there and crate them myself! Bring em to you. You feed and beer me for a week and it's a deal.

You can store em here for a short time too..... because...... um..... because I said so lol.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Must be new... forgot about that.

Would be very interested to see what you thought about the T2's.

|| Totem Hawk
    || Pass Labs Aleph 30
    || Chord Hugo
    || Wyred 4 Sound Remedy
    || Tidal
    || Squeezebox Touch
  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 2,724
    Klipsch Cornwall iii's is my recommendation :)
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,155
    Bumpski's

Don't forget to post your journey Steve :)
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 1,877
    edited June 4
    Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio did a series of reviews of speakers in this price range in the last couple of months. He views the Focal Aria 936 favorably for being a very good value...and does not think they are bright.

1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Pioneer Elite SC-97; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 105D; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Samsung UHD 4K Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Parasound A21; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Marantz SA8004; Music Hall MMF7 and PS Audio NuWave phono pre; Technics SL-1200MKII and PS Audio GCPH phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Anthem Pre-2L SE pre and Parasound HCA-1500A amp; Squeezebox Touch; Wyred4Sound DAC2; MIT S3 cables
  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,288
    Or wait a couple months until the new SDA line comes out....

How "confirmed" is this John? I have seen some cryptic messages from them on social media lately that point to this.

Wait!!!!! What!!!????
    2-channel
    Yaqin MC-30L, Denon DVD 3900, Sony C69ES CD Changer, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box MM, Polk Audio SDA SRS 2 Blade-Blade, Monster Cable throughout.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,948
    xsmi wrote: »

How "confirmed" is this John? I have seen some cryptic messages from them on social media lately that point to this.

Wait!!!!! What!!!????

I wouldn't get on the hype train just yet.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,155
    xsmi wrote: »

Wait!!!!! What!!!????

ka40ba3acfny.jpg
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,639
    edited June 4
    Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio did a series of reviews of speakers in this price range in the last couple of months. He views the Focal Aria 936 favorably for being a very good value...and does not think they are bright.

I think Kevin is weird but still all in all a good dude! a audio freak like most of us!

okay I guess i should say I've spoken to him and sort of grew to like him...not normal or anything but a cool dude none the less :) but heck who is?
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • I would* look for a demo pair of ATC SMC40 v2.
    They have chicken wire grills for both kinds of music.
    lywaiuxsc0jd.jpg

* on the other hand a pair came up and I couldn't pull the trigger.
    Studio 2 equipment;
    Yamaha a-s2100 Amp, CD-2100 CD player, T-S500 tuner
    Loudspeakers: Harbeth p3esr, Polk RT7
    Cables: Aural Harmony Sonnet Interconnect II, WireWorld Equinox 7 speaker,
    Black Cat silverstar 75 ohm digital, Signal Digital Power Cord, PS Audio Perfect Wave AC-3,
    Pangea SE14, Voltz supplied interconnects
    Optional: Arcam DV88 DVD/CD (HDCD) player, Polk SDS-400 speakers
    I would* look for a demo pair of ATC SMC40 v2.
    They have chicken wire grills for both kinds of music.
    lywaiuxsc0jd.jpg

* on the other hand a pair came up and I couldn't pull the trigger.

I've been wanting to hear some ATC for awhile now. Those look awesome.

|| Totem Hawk
    || Pass Labs Aleph 30
    || Chord Hugo
    || Wyred 4 Sound Remedy
    || Tidal
    || Squeezebox Touch
  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 69
    That Focal story is pretty cool.

I recently pumped up the volume on Martin Logan Motion 40's in my master bedroom and man I can only imagine what a pair Motion 60XT can do in a larger room.
    Living Room Music-2.0
    Family Room Home Theater-7.2.2
    Office Home Theater-5.1
    Master Bedroom Music-2.0
    Patio Music-2.0
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,499
    Steve is pretty well schooled, has a lot to choose from too. I might just reiterate that to re-think the must be new aspect. 4K can buy a lot of speaker on the used markets.

If I had 4k to spend though, I'd be buying plane tickets back to Italy. See, take Bev on a nice relaxing vacation somewhere after your all moved in.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 1,554
    tonyb wrote: »
    If I had 4k to spend though, I'd be buying plane tickets back to Italy.

"Commendatore"!

Modest HT - Sony STRDA3700ES, RT800i, CS400i center, RT25i surrounds, Def Tech PF 15TL+, Belkin PF30, Sony BDP-S390.
    Bedroom - HK AVR 340, Monitor 5jr+ Series2, CS245 center, Yamaha YST-SW160, Furez 10/2, Roku 3
    edited June 30
    Another potential buy:
    Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers w/RAAL upgrade

The Wharfedales are interesting (esp the Jade 7), I'm still considering those as well, but I'm a little skeptical about the "british sound" as that is my main reason for switching up.

Also still considering the PSB Imagine T2 or even possibly the Imagine X2T. I have owned 2 sets of "API" speakers in the past and they have the kind of drive I like; not laid back, and not "klipsch-like" forward.
    Post edited by steveinaz on
  • deronb1deronb1 Posts: 3,890
    Was just ooking at those on YouTube. Seem very nice