You have a $4000 budget, what would you buy?

12346»

Comments

  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,365
    halo wrote: »
    Russ, you're going to have to stop by before we move.

    I heard Chicago took away his key to the city, not sure if they banned him.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,905
    Rick88 wrote: »
    LOL.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Who the hell is Scott?!?!

    I thought you were Scott... :/

    LOL. I get people's names here confused too. I recently sent halo (Victor) a message and called him Gary. Gary is halo71... :)

    One of the advantages to having your name as your username. B)

    Yet I'm still Doug.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 8,965
    For $4K I would get a power cord.

    Just kidding, but I would.

    I would spend a few dollars more and get the TOTL PSB speakers. They replaced the PSB Synchrony One, and I love my pair of Synchrony Ones. They replaced my SDA 2, and led me onto my speaker upgrade path.
  • audiocr381veaudiocr381ve Posts: 2,567
    Steve, I get what you're saying about the Harbeths although I loved my Super HL5's.

    I've owned so many pairs of speakers in the $2k-$5k range, and I can honestly say that I can't remember anything wrong with the PSB Synchrony One's that I had for a few months. They sounded absolutely amazing. Voices, check. Dynamics, check. Full range, check. Musical,
    check. I only let them go to fund other things but I will eventually own another pair.

    Good luck man! I remember you being so content with those Harbeths. Funny how things change.
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 17,659
    I don't have a synchrony budget, but the Imagine T2 is no my possibility list.
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 15,908
    Man what's a guy gotta do to have a good rep
    Next time don't be so stingy with the booze, blow and the hookers...
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 1,950
    edited May 29
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I would take a look at Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or Revel Performa3 F208 (may be a bit above budget, but much better bass than the F206). They may do some things better and look more impressive than Polk LSiM705s, but they do cost more too.

    Focal and Harbeth sounds are about as far apart as speaker manufacturers can get.
    Oh, man do I agree about the Harbeth, Focal difference even though I've only spent limited time listening to both at a show. There are so many things that he may or may not like. Still, if he wants different...Different they are. I dug the 948's however.

    As far as the Venere 3.0 and the S...I dug those also. However, I absolutely love the cabinet design and walnut finish, Oh Man! Yes, their top speaker finishes are pure sex. However the cabinet design of the Venere does not disappoint and is a working mans Aida... in cabinet design...anyway.

    However, all said and done....with a $4K budget and wanting to move further out there in the audio realm of musical ability.....

    I think he should take Skip's advice and move on those Usher Dancer CP-8571's. Especially given he has the space for them! One one year old , $10,500 speakers for $3500 asking price! Would need to find a company to crate and ship them but this is nothing new.

    I'm a couple of hours away from them and have family in the area...if I can be of any help, let me know. I would love to listen to them any way...LOL!

    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649342111-usher-audio-dancer-cp8571-diamonddmd-speakers-one-year-old/

    Post edited by WLDock on
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 17,659
    edited May 29
    I have no delusions that a $4k floorstander is going to be a big move from Harbeth 7-es's. I'm looking for a different sounding speaker; if I can get some Harbeth midrange/treble goodness mixed in, all the better.

    As I said in the opening, I'm looking for larger scale, and a bit more up-front presentation. Harbeth's are "smoking jacket" speakers, I'm wanting something more balsy and exciting.

    The Harbeth question reminds me of comments many motorcycle magazine writers would make about Honda'a offerings; "Honda's are so good at so many things, they're boring."

  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 4,595
    WLDock wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I would take a look at Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or Revel Performa3 F208 (may be a bit above budget, but much better bass than the F206). They may do some things better and look more impressive than Polk LSiM705s, but they do cost more too.

    Focal and Harbeth sounds are about as far apart as speaker manufacturers can get.
    Oh, man do I agree about the Harbeth, Focal difference even though I've only spent limited time listening to both at a show. There are so many things that he may or may not like. Still, if he wants different...Different they are. I dug the 948's however.

    As far as the Venere 3.0 and the S...I dug those also. However, I absolutely love the cabinet design and walnut finish, Oh Man! Yes, their top speaker finishes are pure sex. However the cabinet design of the Venere does not disappoint and is a working mans Aida... in cabinet design...anyway.

    However, all said and done....with a $4K budget and wanting to move further out there in the audio realm of musical ability.....

    I think he should take Skip's advice and move on those Usher Dancer CP-8571's. Especially given he has the space for them! One one year old , $10,500 speakers for $3500 asking price! Would need to find a company to crate and ship them but this is nothing new.

    I'm a couple of hours away from them and have family in the area...if I can be of any help, let me know. I would love to listen to them any way...LOL!

    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649342111-usher-audio-dancer-cp8571-diamonddmd-speakers-one-year-old/

    I want the CP 8571's.... How do i get them shipped to me?

  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 1,950
    edited May 29
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,051
    WLDock wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I would take a look at Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or Revel Performa3 F208 (may be a bit above budget, but much better bass than the F206). They may do some things better and look more impressive than Polk LSiM705s, but they do cost more too.

    Focal and Harbeth sounds are about as far apart as speaker manufacturers can get.
    Oh, man do I agree about the Harbeth, Focal difference even though I've only spent limited time listening to both at a show. There are so many things that he may or may not like. Still, if he wants different...Different they are. I dug the 948's however.

    As far as the Venere 3.0 and the S...I dug those also. However, I absolutely love the cabinet design and walnut finish, Oh Man! Yes, their top speaker finishes are pure sex. However the cabinet design of the Venere does not disappoint and is a working mans Aida... in cabinet design...anyway.

    However, all said and done....with a $4K budget and wanting to move further out there in the audio realm of musical ability.....

    I think he should take Skip's advice and move on those Usher Dancer CP-8571's. Especially given he has the space for them! One one year old , $10,500 speakers for $3500 asking price! Would need to find a company to crate and ship them but this is nothing new.

    I'm a couple of hours away from them and have family in the area...if I can be of any help, let me know. I would love to listen to them any way...LOL!

    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649342111-usher-audio-dancer-cp8571-diamonddmd-speakers-one-year-old/

    I want the CP 8571's.... How do i get them shipped to me?

    Sheetfire Mikey! I'll run up there and crate them myself! Bring em to you. You feed and beer me for a week and it's a deal.
  • audiocr381veaudiocr381ve Posts: 2,567
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I don't have a synchrony budget, but the Imagine T2 is no my possibility list.

    Yeah you do. Hit audiogon for a really good deal on a pair of Synchrony One's.

  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,206
    lightman1 wrote: »
    WLDock wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I would take a look at Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or Revel Performa3 F208 (may be a bit above budget, but much better bass than the F206). They may do some things better and look more impressive than Polk LSiM705s, but they do cost more too.

    Focal and Harbeth sounds are about as far apart as speaker manufacturers can get.
    Oh, man do I agree about the Harbeth, Focal difference even though I've only spent limited time listening to both at a show. There are so many things that he may or may not like. Still, if he wants different...Different they are. I dug the 948's however.

    As far as the Venere 3.0 and the S...I dug those also. However, I absolutely love the cabinet design and walnut finish, Oh Man! Yes, their top speaker finishes are pure sex. However the cabinet design of the Venere does not disappoint and is a working mans Aida... in cabinet design...anyway.

    However, all said and done....with a $4K budget and wanting to move further out there in the audio realm of musical ability.....

    I think he should take Skip's advice and move on those Usher Dancer CP-8571's. Especially given he has the space for them! One one year old , $10,500 speakers for $3500 asking price! Would need to find a company to crate and ship them but this is nothing new.

    I'm a couple of hours away from them and have family in the area...if I can be of any help, let me know. I would love to listen to them any way...LOL!

    http://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649342111-usher-audio-dancer-cp8571-diamonddmd-speakers-one-year-old/

    I want the CP 8571's.... How do i get them shipped to me?

    Sheetfire Mikey! I'll run up there and crate them myself! Bring em to you. You feed and beer me for a week and it's a deal.

    You can store em here for a short time too..... because...... um..... because I said so lol.....
  • audiocr381veaudiocr381ve Posts: 2,567
    Must be new... forgot about that.

    Would be very interested to see what you thought about the T2's.

  • jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 2,598
    Klipsch Cornwall iii's is my recommendation :)
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 7,471
    Bumpski's

    Don't forget to post your journey Steve :)
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 1,777
    edited June 4
    Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio did a series of reviews of speakers in this price range in the last couple of months. He views the Focal Aria 936 favorably for being a very good value...and does not think they are bright.

  • xsmixsmi Posts: 1,278
    Or wait a couple months until the new SDA line comes out....

    How "confirmed" is this John? I have seen some cryptic messages from them on social media lately that point to this.

    Wait!!!!! What!!!????
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 6,851
    xsmi wrote: »
    Or wait a couple months until the new SDA line comes out....

    How "confirmed" is this John? I have seen some cryptic messages from them on social media lately that point to this.

    Wait!!!!! What!!!????

    I wouldn't get on the hype train just yet.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 7,471
    xsmi wrote: »
    Or wait a couple months until the new SDA line comes out....

    How "confirmed" is this John? I have seen some cryptic messages from them on social media lately that point to this.

    Wait!!!!! What!!!????

    ka40ba3acfny.jpg
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,389
    edited June 4
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Kevin Deal of Upscale Audio did a series of reviews of speakers in this price range in the last couple of months. He views the Focal Aria 936 favorably for being a very good value...and does not think they are bright.


    I think Kevin is weird but still all in all a good dude! a audio freak like most of us!

    okay I guess i should say I've spoken to him and sort of grew to like him...not normal or anything but a cool dude none the less :) but heck who is?
  • I would buy 3,700 $1 power-ball lotto tickets and a pair of $300 Polk Audio Signature S20 bookshelf speakers. After I won the multi-state power-ball jackpot, I would buy the entire Island of Maui and vote everyone else off the Island except for me and several highly gifted female personal assistants. (I need help applying the sun screen and the sun tan lotion). This would be the ultimate reality TV show. I would then sell CBS the rights to that reality TV show, and, with the Beach Boys, I would buy the Island of Aruba and learn to speak Dutch. Then I would spend the rest of my days Island hopping. B)

    0qwo0fpir5uo.png

  • rednedtugentrednedtugent Posts: 9,892
    I would* look for a demo pair of ATC SMC40 v2.
    They have chicken wire grills for both kinds of music.
    lywaiuxsc0jd.jpg


    * on the other hand a pair came up and I couldn't pull the trigger.
  • audiocr381veaudiocr381ve Posts: 2,567
    I would* look for a demo pair of ATC SMC40 v2.
    They have chicken wire grills for both kinds of music.
    lywaiuxsc0jd.jpg


    * on the other hand a pair came up and I couldn't pull the trigger.

    I've been wanting to hear some ATC for awhile now. Those look awesome.

  • mpitogompitogo Posts: 61
    That Focal story is pretty cool.

    I recently pumped up the volume on Martin Logan Motion 40's in my master bedroom and man I can only imagine what a pair Motion 60XT can do in a larger room.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,215
    Steve is pretty well schooled, has a lot to choose from too. I might just reiterate that to re-think the must be new aspect. 4K can buy a lot of speaker on the used markets.

    If I had 4k to spend though, I'd be buying plane tickets back to Italy. See, take Bev on a nice relaxing vacation somewhere after your all moved in.
  • Jimbo18Jimbo18 Posts: 1,409
    tonyb wrote: »
    If I had 4k to spend though, I'd be buying plane tickets back to Italy.

    "Commendatore"!


  • WHARFEDALE - Diamond 250 Tower Speakers
    Speakers
    Now $1,299.00

    - I'm assuming the price quoted is per speaker (it does not say "pr" in the description).

    These speakers have dual 8" bass drivers

    There are many other higher end speakers at the Music Direct website

    https://www.musicdirect.com/speakers/wharfedale-diamond-250-tower-speakers
    wsv1s12940ze.png
12346»
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!