You have a $4000 budget, what would you buy?

Comments

• steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 17,766
    edited May 26
    Appreciate all the suggestions, you guys have definitely showed me some options I had not considered. My main reason for this thread was because I've been living with the same speakers for about 6yrs now, so I haven't been paying much attention to what is out there. I'm really pleased with what is available within the range of sub $4k.

Thanks again fellers for some great ideas to mull through. It'll be awhile before I follow through, but someone is going to get a nice set of Harbeth's for a good price. *wink*
    Source: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75 | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,533
    edited May 26
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    I still vividly remember how impressed I was with Spatial Audio's M3 Turbo at THE SHOW last year.

And also the Salk Song Tower - plenty of dynamic slam and balance.

I'm going to the LA Audio show next week - I'm going to revisit Spatial's room.

I'm am intrigued by the Spatial Audio M3 too from all I heard from others who have got to listen to them and the price leaves room for more gear :)

http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram-m3/

p.s. since my 3 trips to LSAF I find I have a thing for open baffles ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Erik TracyErik Tracy Posts: 4,691
    voltz wrote: »
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    I still vividly remember how impressed I was with Spatial Audio's M3 Turbo at THE SHOW last year.

And also the Salk Song Tower - plenty of dynamic slam and balance.

I'm going to the LA Audio show next week - I'm going to revisit Spatial's room.

I'm am intrigued by the Spatial Audio M3 too from all I heard from others who have got to listen to them and the price leaves room for more gear :)

http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram-m3/

p.s. since my 3 trips to LSAF I find I have a thing for open baffles ;)

I was blown away by the M3s - they dug DEEP, and the sound was holographic. The price is amazing.

I just don't have the space to get them set up right. :s :'(

H9: If you don't trust what you are hearing, then maybe you need to be less invested in a hobby which all the pleasure comes from listening to music.
    I probably would have bought some M3's someday if Skip hadn't push me in different direction.

but now my path is clear to me at least ;) I just joined the Usher fan club!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 3,243
    voltz wrote: »
    I probably would have bought some M3's someday if Skip hadn't push me in different direction.

but now my path is clear to me at least ;) I just joined the Usher fan club!

Darryl, welcome aboard. I can only imagine how nice those dancers are. I bought my N-6361 "just because" and now I can't wait to get a set of diamonds.
    Parlor: Yamaha RX-A2030*Parasound Halo P5*Parasound Halo A-31*Parasound 2250v2*Emotiva XPA-200 Gen1*LSiM707 Fronts*LSiM706c Center*LSiM702f/x Surrounds*Monitor70 Series II Rears*Monitor40 Series II Presence*SVS PB2000 Sub X2*OPPO BDP-103D*Sony PS3*Samsung BD-H5900 3D Blu-Ray*Samsung-55" LED 1080p Smart 3D HDTV UN55H7150AFXZA*TEAC TN-300*Wireworld Solstice cables*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Dungeon: Auralic Aries Mini*Dayens Ampino Preamp*Dayens Ampino Monoblocks*Usher N-6361*Wireworld Oasis cables*Wireworld Oasis IC's*IFI nano IDSD* Cambridge CXU*

Panamax MR5100*Panamax M8-AV-PRO*Furman PST-2+6

Head gear: Sennheiser HD 558*Audio-Technica ATH-M40x*Sennheiser HD 598 Cs*Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7*Philips SHP9500S*

Hello Kitty boombox

Spares: Yamaha RX-A1040*Emotiva XPA-1L Gen2 X2*Emotiva XPA-3 Gen2*CSiA6 Center*Monitor40 Series II*SVS PB1000 Sub*Sony BDPS6500 Blu-ray player*POS 37" LCD*Douglas Connection Furez 12 AWG 2 Conductor*Blue Jeans Cable LC-1's IC's*

Self Control is over rated.
  • littlewoodboatslittlewoodboats Posts: 791
    I have the parts to put together a pair of Bozak Concert Grands if you are worried the other speaker options might not be big enough. No subs required
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,460
    edited May 27
    Good luck in your quest.

I've seen Salk mentioned and highly recommend them. You can buy pre configured or talk about other drivers/tweeter combinations. If it is doable, he will build it. The Supercharged SongTower is in your budget range.

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Supercharged+SongTower

I hear your concern about used. One thing Jim Salk does with used speakers dropped off at his shop for resale, he will go through them and ensure they are up to spec.

"These speakers will be tested to confirm that they are in perfect working condition and will be re-finished, if necessary, to make certain they are in like-new condition before sending them on to a new owner."

He upgraded the crossovers on my SoundScape 8's to new specs, refinished the plinths (they were scuffed) and offered me choice of spikes. He packed them up in new boxes. I could not tell they were used at all. He also gave me adoption paperwork. Nice touch and I saved $2600 versus new. ;)

His for sale at Audio Circle. This circle contains used, demo and new where the buyer aborted before delivery.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5v10jqes41d5mo2h85fooss3f4&board=140.0
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

The Salk's were on my radar back when I ended up with the Fritz Carbon 7. They seem to be of very good fit & finish, and are something I'm considering.
    Source: Oppo BDP-103/USB HDD | Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2L | Power Amp: Parasound HCA-1500A | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Kimber Hero/8TC; DH Labs D-75 | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 1,854
    I would take a look at Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or Revel Performa3 F208 (may be a bit above budget, but much better bass than the F206). They may do some things better and look more impressive than Polk LSiM705s, but they do cost more too.

Focal and Harbeth sounds are about as far apart as speaker manufacturers can get.

Another model would be the Vandersteen Signature 3A. There are reasons they have been around for so long despite the appearance being stuck in the 1980s.

1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Pioneer Elite SC-97; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 105D; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Samsung UHD 4K Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Parasound A21; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Marantz SA8004; Music Hall MMF7 and PS Audio NuWave phono pre; Technics SL-1200MKII and PS Audio GCPH phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Anthem Pre-2L SE pre and Parasound HCA-1500A amp; Squeezebox Touch; Wyred4Sound DAC2; MIT S3 cables
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 1,976
    Yes the Spatial Audio M3's are something special. I never thought I'd like a horn speaker that much. Although it would take some real time in one's own setting to really know how well one can live with them.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • pearsall001pearsall001 Posts: 4,321
    Add a pair of sealed 12" subs...Velo, REL, JL Audio. Pick up a DSpeaker Anti-Mode for superb bass management. Keep the Harbreth's on maybe consider another pair of bookies. That combo done correctly will have tower's in your price range running out of Dodge.
    "2 Channel & 11.2 HT "
    Panny 65" 3D Plasma
    Yamaha AVENTAGE RX-A3010 AVR
    D>SONIC M2-600M mono's / mains
    Rotel RMB-1095 5 channel amp
    TEAC UD - 501 DAC
    Oppo BDP-93
    SONOS System
    KEF Q900 / mains
    KEF Q600 / center
    KEF Q800 / surrounds
    KEF Q100 / rear surr.
    Def Tech ProMonitor 1000 / front & rear presence
    Velodyne SPL-1200R subs / dual pair
    DSPeaker Anti-Mode 8033 sub EQ
    Extensive room treatments
    Steve which ever way you choose to go? have fun and enjoy the ride and hope you find you special system B)

Thanks man.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,364
    Hey Steve! I have a set of Emerald Physics CS2p. They are the bi-amp version with the DSP based crossover.
    When I get back home (someday) I'll ship them out to you.
    Take 'em out for a spin.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hey Steve! I have a set of Emerald Physics CS2p. They are the bi-amp version with the DSP based crossover.
    Take 'em out for a spin.

Very generous offer! You are not at all like Dan described! :D

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

SCompRacer wrote: »
    Take 'em out for a spin.

Dan's an assmunch-of the highest order.....
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,713
    Take 'em out for a spin.

I figured assmunch.
    2 Channel
    Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood Turntable/Grado Gold Cartridge
    PS Audio GCPH Phono Stage
    Dared SL-2000A Preamplifier
    Krell KAV-250a Amplifier
    Speakers - Polk Audio LS90's
    Gregg Straley Reality speaker cables; Signal Cable Silver Resolution interconnects
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Take 'em out for a spin.

I figured assmunch.

The other Dan. You're good in my book.
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,496
    Man what's a guy gotta do to have a good rep
    Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

My system makes me happy and changes too often for me to care to update a list..... you guys are good at spending my money!
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,373

Let Russ kill off some of your landscaping....then you'll be golden.
    legacy Focus 20/20
    Butler tdb 2250
    Cary Xciter dac
    Joule LA-100
    Pioneer BDP 320
    Sony 4k 55 850c
    FX 500 surround
    Acoustic zen Satori SC's
    Pioneer elite vsx21
    Sonos-Cullen mod.
    Audio Metallurgy GA-0 digital
    PS Audio Quintet
    Analysis Plus crystal ovals
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2's IC
    tonyb wrote: »

Heading that way tomorrow, Tony. He said something about food and booze. Bonus!
    Take 'em out for a spin.

I figured assmunch.

Oh, I know. I was just being hilarious. :smiley:
    2 Channel
    Krell KAV-250a Amplifier
    Gregg Straley Reality speaker cables; Signal Cable Silver Resolution interconnects
  • msgmsg Posts: 3,176
    edited May 28
    I figured assmunch.
    Dan? I've been calling you Paul all this time.
    What other pejoratives do you answer to?
    msg wrote: »
    I figured assmunch.

I am Paul, but I answer to anything that rhymes with "Hey Peckerhead"
    2 Channel
    Krell KAV-250a Amplifier
    msg wrote: »
    I figured assmunch.

I am Paul, but I answer to anything that rhymes with "Hey Peckerhead"

:D I think we have Scott confused.
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,048
    Who the hell is Scott?!?!
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    Silverline Sonatina MkI, LSi15, LSi7, LSiC, LSiFX, LS/FX, DSW MP2000
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

I thought you were Scott... :/
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,613
    edited May 28
    LOL.
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

I thought you were Scott... :/

LOL. I get people's names here confused too. I recently sent halo (Victor) a message and called him Gary. Gary is halo71... :)

One of the advantages to having your name as your username. B)
    "Life is one grand, sweet song, so start the music." ~ Ronald Reagan

edited May 28
    tonyb wrote: »

Hedges and bushes just attract folks with alcohol. Like a magnet. Like a moth to a flame.

Now we have to assign blame for the thread derail. Steve is looking for speakers, we have to stop fooling around. Serious business here. :o :D

Which Dan? OCD Dan, or just Dan? :)

Post edited by SCompRacer on

• halohalo Posts: 3,594
    Take 'em out for a spin.

Russ, you're going to have to stop by before we move. I have no idea what the stereo setup is going to be like at the next place (no idea where the next place will be, specifically, aside from it being in St. Louis).