You have a $4000 budget, what would you buy?

Comments

• steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 17,657
    edited May 26
    Appreciate all the suggestions, you guys have definitely showed me some options I had not considered. My main reason for this thread was because I've been living with the same speakers for about 6yrs now, so I haven't been paying much attention to what is out there. I'm really pleased with what is available within the range of sub $4k.

Thanks again fellers for some great ideas to mull through. It'll be awhile before I follow through, but someone is going to get a nice set of Harbeth's for a good price. *wink*
  • voltzvoltz Posts: 4,382
    edited May 26
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    I still vividly remember how impressed I was with Spatial Audio's M3 Turbo at THE SHOW last year.

And also the Salk Song Tower - plenty of dynamic slam and balance.

I'm going to the LA Audio show next week - I'm going to revisit Spatial's room.

I'm am intrigued by the Spatial Audio M3 too from all I heard from others who have got to listen to them and the price leaves room for more gear :)

http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram-m3/

p.s. since my 3 trips to LSAF I find I have a thing for open baffles ;)
  • Erik TracyErik Tracy Posts: 4,691
    voltz wrote: »
    Erik Tracy wrote: »
    I still vividly remember how impressed I was with Spatial Audio's M3 Turbo at THE SHOW last year.

And also the Salk Song Tower - plenty of dynamic slam and balance.

I'm going to the LA Audio show next week - I'm going to revisit Spatial's room.

I'm am intrigued by the Spatial Audio M3 too from all I heard from others who have got to listen to them and the price leaves room for more gear :)

http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram-m3/

p.s. since my 3 trips to LSAF I find I have a thing for open baffles ;)

I was blown away by the M3s - they dug DEEP, and the sound was holographic. The price is amazing.

I just don't have the space to get them set up right. :s :'(

I probably would have bought some M3's someday if Skip hadn't push me in different direction.

but now my path is clear to me at least ;) I just joined the Usher fan club!
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 2,923
    voltz wrote: »
    I probably would have bought some M3's someday if Skip hadn't push me in different direction.

but now my path is clear to me at least ;) I just joined the Usher fan club!

Darryl, welcome aboard. I can only imagine how nice those dancers are. I bought my N-6361 "just because" and now I can't wait to get a set of diamonds.
  • littlewoodboatslittlewoodboats Posts: 791
    I have the parts to put together a pair of Bozak Concert Grands if you are worried the other speaker options might not be big enough. No subs required
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 6,365
    edited May 27
    Good luck in your quest.

I've seen Salk mentioned and highly recommend them. You can buy pre configured or talk about other drivers/tweeter combinations. If it is doable, he will build it. The Supercharged SongTower is in your budget range.

http://www.salksound.com/model.php?model=Supercharged+SongTower

I hear your concern about used. One thing Jim Salk does with used speakers dropped off at his shop for resale, he will go through them and ensure they are up to spec.

"These speakers will be tested to confirm that they are in perfect working condition and will be re-finished, if necessary, to make certain they are in like-new condition before sending them on to a new owner."

He upgraded the crossovers on my SoundScape 8's to new specs, refinished the plinths (they were scuffed) and offered me choice of spikes. He packed them up in new boxes. I could not tell they were used at all. He also gave me adoption paperwork. Nice touch and I saved $2600 versus new. ;)

His for sale at Audio Circle. This circle contains used, demo and new where the buyer aborted before delivery.

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=5v10jqes41d5mo2h85fooss3f4&board=140.0
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    The Salk's were on my radar back when I ended up with the Fritz Carbon 7. They seem to be of very good fit & finish, and are something I'm considering.
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 1,773
    I would take a look at Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 or Revel Performa3 F208 (may be a bit above budget, but much better bass than the F206). They may do some things better and look more impressive than Polk LSiM705s, but they do cost more too.

Focal and Harbeth sounds are about as far apart as speaker manufacturers can get.

Another model would be the Vandersteen Signature 3A. There are reasons they have been around for so long despite the appearance being stuck in the 1980s.

• WLDockWLDock Posts: 1,950
    Yes the Spatial Audio M3's are something special. I never thought I'd like a horn speaker that much. Although it would take some real time in one's own setting to really know how well one can live with them.
  • pearsall001pearsall001 Posts: 4,317
    Add a pair of sealed 12" subs...Velo, REL, JL Audio. Pick up a DSpeaker Anti-Mode for superb bass management. Keep the Harbreth's on maybe consider another pair of bookies. That combo done correctly will have tower's in your price range running out of Dodge.
    Steve which ever way you choose to go? have fun and enjoy the ride and hope you find you special system B)
    Thanks man.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,040
    Hey Steve! I have a set of Emerald Physics CS2p. They are the bi-amp version with the DSP based crossover.
    When I get back home (someday) I'll ship them out to you.
    Take 'em out for a spin.
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hey Steve! I have a set of Emerald Physics CS2p. They are the bi-amp version with the DSP based crossover.
    Take 'em out for a spin.

Very generous offer! You are not at all like Dan described! :D
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    Take 'em out for a spin.

Dan's an assmunch-of the highest order.....
  • hochpt21hochpt21 Posts: 4,666
    Take 'em out for a spin.

I figured assmunch.
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Take 'em out for a spin.

I figured assmunch.

The other Dan. You're good in my book.
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,204
    Man what's a guy gotta do to have a good rep
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 27,210

Let Russ kill off some of your landscaping....then you'll be golden.
    tonyb wrote: »

Heading that way tomorrow, Tony. He said something about food and booze. Bonus!
    Take 'em out for a spin.

I figured assmunch.

Oh, I know. I was just being hilarious. :smiley:
  • msgmsg Posts: 2,872
    edited May 28
    I figured assmunch.
    Dan? I've been calling you Paul all this time.
    What other pejoratives do you answer to?
    msg wrote: »
    I figured assmunch.

I am Paul, but I answer to anything that rhymes with "Hey Peckerhead"
    msg wrote: »
    I figured assmunch.

I am Paul, but I answer to anything that rhymes with "Hey Peckerhead"

:D I think we have Scott confused.
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 3,948
    Who the hell is Scott?!?!
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

I thought you were Scott... :/
  • Rick88Rick88 Posts: 12,551
    edited May 28
    LOL.
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

I thought you were Scott... :/

LOL. I get people's names here confused too. I recently sent halo (Victor) a message and called him Gary. Gary is halo71... :)

One of the advantages to having your name as your username. B)
    edited May 28
    tonyb wrote: »

Hedges and bushes just attract folks with alcohol. Like a magnet. Like a moth to a flame.

Now we have to assign blame for the thread derail. Steve is looking for speakers, we have to stop fooling around. Serious business here. :o :D

Which Dan? OCD Dan, or just Dan? :)

Post edited by SCompRacer on
  • halohalo Posts: 3,513
    Take 'em out for a spin.

Russ, you're going to have to stop by before we move. I have no idea what the stereo setup is going to be like at the next place (no idea where the next place will be, specifically, aside from it being in St. Louis).