Harris Fogel's brief thought on "Big Polk speakers"

Options
12:30:00

Beginner Audiophile| Getting The Most Bang For your Buck on Stereo Gear, With Harris Fogel

Beginner Audiophile:"…You picked up Polk’s and you mentioned they sounded good but they are not great? How did you know what good sounded like versus what’s great?"

Harris Fogel:". .what I realized with these big Polk’s it sounded like the sound was coming from the speakers not the instrument from the room…"

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/9-getting-most-bang-for-your-buck-on-stereo-gear-harris/id1209604270?i=1000385715960&mt=2

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    He must be partially deaf in one ear. Thus biasing the SDA effect.

Poor fella....a half deaf audio rag reviewer. It must be a burden upon ones self to know everything and still not reach the masses when they refuse to listen......
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    He described the presentation of what most speakers other than SDA's present. Something wrong with that dude.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    I wonder if he is related to Jared?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    Won't even dignify this thread with a response...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,270
    Options
    Darn it, I don't use Itunes, so now I'll never know.
    Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options

well, here's a conundrum ;)
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options
    Clearly does not know what he is talking about. Mundane audiophile characteristics, like my "speaker disappear” always impresses the inexperienced.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options

;) could swear I hear Free Will in the background....
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    This thread has a nice Dada vibe goin'.

My loudspeakers would be hard pressed to disappear, but they sure do a danged fine job of making it sound like actual performers are in the room.

Not Polks any more, though :neutral:
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Well......even if SDAs are set up properly, if you are not in the correct spot for listening, the SDA effect is greatly diminished.

Also, despite being set up properly, reflections in your listening space can skew the sound stage and present things differently causing driver localization to be easier.

If he really is a n00b, I can see how improper setup or a lack of understanding of the concepts behind sound stages and how SDA works would cause expectations to be far different from reality. However, that's not a knock on SDA. SDA is a creative way to overcome some of the physics of listening room constraints and compensate for the wide variation of those constraints. No two rooms are exactly the same.

SDA when set up correctly, does a pretty good job of negating most of the issues of imperfect listening environments. That's the reason Polk's surround sound speaker bars work so well. They don't rely on reflections and driver time alignment to create the surround sound effects. You can stick a Polk SurroundBar of any type in any kind of room and it will work. Smaller bars get lost in larger rooms but I have yet to see a surround bar from any other company match what Polk is doing with the SDA tech in the bars. Especially for the price point they are at.

The only speakers I have ever heard that come anywhere close to what SDA can do are the Carver Amazings but, if you remove the foam blocks from the rear of the ribbons, it gets just as muddy and localized as any other speaker. But those foam blocks give you not only a left to right sound stage but they also provide height as well due to the sheer height of the driver. In the Amazings' sweet spot, everything hovers in front of your face and due to the dipole effect of the ribbons, reflections add depth. Get placement wrong, though and it goes away.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • stones89
    Options
    Every speaker has tradeoffs. I am a long time Thiel owner, and they do disappear. So transparent it is like looking through a perfectly cleaned glass window. Performers are in the room....but the tradeoff - ever so slightly on the lean side. But they do so many things right it is easy to overlook.

The big Polks are polar opposites. They remind me of sitting in a small venue or bar listening to live music. That sound is far from perfect, just like live music can be a little messy, maybe not "audiophile like" but the tonality and dynamics are highly engaging and then there is the SDA effect that can sound a little phasey sometimes but again, it is highly engaging. Thats what I want out of music.

When I want to hear a fly blow a f@#t behind the piano I put the Thiels back in. B)

Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    But, the point of hi-fi audio is to replicate the recorded performance, whether it's live or in a recording studio or a concert hall setting.

What you just described, the Thiels fail at that while the SDAs provide you with an experience that makes you think you are at a live performance.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • stones89
    Options
    Yes, tradeoff but both are enjoyable. I need to spend more time with my 2.3tl's, get to know them better. I have listened to Thiels for so long the sound is tattooed on my brain.