Luckiest man I know - that's me

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,506
edited May 2017 in The Clubhouse
I am not really sure what I did on Earth to deserve a woman like my wife. She is everything to me. I met her in high school and I never let go. We have been through a lot of ups and down, but still she stuck by me. She met me when I was working at Best Buy (subsequently got fired for using my discount for friends) and as an apprentice at a Fish/Steak market counter at the local grocery store.

We went through college together and then split schools for pharmacy and medical school. During that stint, I ended up being alone most of my freetime and when all you're stuck with is a computer because you're studying 6-8 hours a day to survive medical school, you begin to wander. I stumbled onto a few audio websites, started off at Klipsch then Polk then Martin Logan. I had some Polk LSi9 then Martin Logan Summits and that's how most here remember me.

Then we graduated grad schools, I moved to my own loft in Chicago, she moved to an apartment in the suburb. My loft was not very conducive to sound as it was tall (15 foot cement ceilings, and large 10 foot windows). I gave up my system up and sold it all. I then used the funds to buy my wife an engagement ring and I cut off all ties to audio, cold turkey.

A year later we got engaged, a year after that we got married when I was a 3rd year resident. A year later, we graduated, I gave her the option of staying in Chicago, moving to Dallas, or trying some place like Los Angeles.

She chose Dallas, and I wasn't planning on staying for more than 5 years and I was going to move again perhaps to the Pacific Northwest. We stayed in a 1 bedroom apartment and ate on a small coffee table from Ikea. We spent like we were still in school, we were saving a ton.

Then Emma came and then Henry came - your plans begin to change.

No longer was I bound to an apartment, I had to buy a small-moderate size house in anticipation of perhaps another move.

The house ended up with a moderate size media room, I took it over and I went back into audio as a distraction.

So that's how we are here today.

But yes, I was completely taken aback yesterday (it was my birthday). My wife went through the trouble of making this cake for me. I was wondering why I found some random Stereophile and Absolute Sound magazine in the family room when I came home from work the other day....

She was absolutely giddy and excited to reveal the cake.... picture Christmas morning....

I was honestly almost brought to tears, for my wife to recognize my little obsession and for her to not only be ok with it but for her to understand that it is my little distraction from the real world, it is very heart warming. She really does love this weirdo.

Here is my cake from the little "HARprise birthday party" my little family had for me at home.

(harprise = surprise, that's how Emma says it.)
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
Post edited by Joey_V on

Comments

• Joey_V
    scy7jjvzmbb4.jpeg
    hrs9wqjii4ql.jpeg
    dyw4oyelzo27.jpeg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congratulations Joey, you're wife obviously has many talents including Cake Decorating, it looks too good to cut into!

It takes a certain kind of partner to "tolerate" our obsessions, I would say that you are a Very Lucky Man indeed...

Happy Birthday!
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    Nice. Is that a 4ohm or 8ohm cake?
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    You are a fortunate man Joey and to have a family that understands your hobby is a blessing. We all have our means of decompression and to share it with others who want to share it with you is an important facet of family ties. Happy Birthday!
    [
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2017
    Yeah, she was so excited to reveal the cake....

When I saw it, first thing I thought was:

1. Wow, I don't deserve this. (Holds back tears)
    2. I can't believe she went through the trouble, she's busy enough with 2 lunatic children running around.
    3. I bet it's chocolate.
    4. How did she get the model # right on the cake? I mean, that's pretty uncanny.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    That is awesome!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    That is indeed awesome and creative. You and your family are blessed.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Happy belated birthday Joey! That cake is awesome!
  • andrew82
    andrew82 Posts: 144
    Incredible. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of your journey, Joey.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    That is one cool cake. Awesome story. Congrats.
  • Joey_V
    THanks guys. Still stoked about the whole thing.

I went to sleep with a smile on my face.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    That's one cool wife who builds one cool cake Joey...

NICE
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Happy Birthday and congratulations. one in a million.
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Happy Birthday!!!

Great Cake!!!

What cables do you use with those? >:)
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • Joey_V
    Manticore wrote: »
    Happy Birthday!!!

Great Cake!!!

What cables do you use with those? >:)

I used some silver candles... does that count?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited May 2017
    Great story! Happy Birthday. My wife will sometimes shock me with audio, as she seems to be sort of disconnected from it---then out of the blue she'll say something like "I like the treble on those speakers" and totally blow me away.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Joey_V
    Yeah, what really resonated with me was not so much the audio, it was that there was effort put in.... I didn't ask for anything and so I was not expecting anything.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Happy Birthday!

I see she bought you a bunch of PS Audio outlets too.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    F1nut wrote: »
    Happy Birthday!

Hahah... good eye Jesse.

She bought me 12 PS Audio Noise Harvesters.... apparently there was a good deal on them.

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Ah, not outlets. My mistake.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Happy Birthday!

Hahah... good eye Jesse.

She bought me 12 PS Audio Noise Harvesters.... apparently there was a good deal on them.

Wow...12...uh...hmmm...
    Must of been a buy 1 get 11 free type deal. Jesus!

What are you going to do with all those puppies? One at the Fridge, Magic Bullet, reading lamp, etc...?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Happy birthday Joey.

I am lucky like you and have a wonderful family who allows me to enjoy this hobby and sometimes even joins in the fun!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    Happy birthday & congratulations on your choice of life-partner!

You definitely "married up" as they say in Texas! B)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Joey_V
    edited May 2017
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Happy Birthday!

Hahah... good eye Jesse.

Wow...12...uh...hmmm...

What are you going to do with all those puppies? One at the Fridge, Magic Bullet, reading lamp, etc...?

I don't know.. lol.... I'm going to randomly place it in all sorts of outlets.

https://www.musicdirect.com/power/ps-audio-noise-harvester-black
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    mrbiron wrote: »
    Happy Birthday!

Hahah... good eye Jesse.

Wow...12...uh...hmmm...

I don't know.. lol.... I'm going to randomly place it in all sorts of outlets.

https://www.musicdirect.com/power/ps-audio-noise-harvester-black

Just as a FYI @DarqueKnight did a review on those at some point
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    We are given two lives; the one when we are born, and the one we choose to live.

Happy Birthday Joey! I believe you choose the right one.
    Harry
    Marietta GA
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Very, very cool Joey! Happy Birthday to you.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    The good ones are worth their weight in gold. Happy Birthday Joey.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    you are both so blessed, many many more happy bdays for you all
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    She got me with the Mexican Coke on the table... a keeper for sure.

Congrats!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson