The heaviest set of SDA's ever!!! :-)

Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
edited May 2017 in Vintage Speakers
I'm guessing I will have these 1.2tl's pushing 240lb's each when I'm done with putting on my Aluminum end caps, and side strips, the weight of them might drive the spikes into the sub floor like a nail.. LOL!!

I,m guessing with my x-overs with the 16mh solen inductor had these speakers pushing the 210lb range, and with taking off the oak wood, and adding the aluminum I figured I am still adding about 50lb's..

These speakers have been sitting in pieces for over a year, so I am looking forward to having them back in the mix in the next couple weeks..

Working on them in my free time has help distract me the last few weeks..

Comments

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842
    I would like to see some pictures! ;)
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,010
    Good job Larry!
  • gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    Hey Larry, I was just wondering how 30lbs of aluminum to the top, bottom and sides are going to affect the resonate frequency of the cabinet thus changing the over all sound if it does at all?
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Curious if the extra mass yields any sonic improvements. Nice work as always Larry.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Cant wait to see them !
  • Toolfan66
    If everything keeps going good on this end I might have them done this weekend..
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Larry, sounds were just coming out of my mouth and I didn't realize it. My girlfriend thought something was wrong with me. Those are gonna look amazing!
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Innovative as always! Bet they will sound great.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • Toolfan66
    gimpod wrote: »
    Hey Larry, I was just wondering how 30lbs of aluminum to the top, bottom and sides are going to affect the resonate frequency of the cabinet thus changing the over all sound if it does at all?

I'm not sure if there will be any affect, but sadly these speakers have been sitting for over a year so I doubt I will remember exactly how they sounded..

My guess if there is a difference it will be a positive one...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Learning that your ears vibrate and
    assuming that your whole body vibrates
    I took it one step further:
    pqzc0fkum7kd.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    FYI I wasn't laughing at your beautiful work, but more the comment you made about falling through the floor when you showed the spikes...the Tom Hanks movie Money Pit came to mind
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a