Before I go making holes in my wall...

Options
DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,481
edited May 2017 in The Clubhouse
Does this look to be about the right position for acoustic panels behind the speakers? There will be two on each side. For reference those are lsim 705 mains. Too high? @dskip.9alzafj6sfub.jpg
ig8a006wos1d.jpg

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    I have no clue on this one. Can you mount them temporarily and see what works best?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • DaveHo
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The panels are pretty light. Might be able to use some 3M command mounts somehow for a temporary solution. The bigger issue is the rack position. I don't really want to get everything all connected again & have to dismantle the rack to move them. With a combined HT 2 channel system, that's a lot of gear, LOL! Course I could just hook up the Oppo & P5 for a quick test I suppose.
  • DaveHo
    Options
    More pics. Room is 13' wide. There will be a 65"
    tv on the middle stand which holds the amps. 4i16esltnl0m.jpg
    n4j5askbvqdj.jpg
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,520
    Options
    Too high.

Ears should be midpoint on them. That's good if you're standing.

I think mine have either a 15" or 18" clearance off the floor. I have 48" X 24" panels so they are similar to yours.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options

My old set up

31pnbdlgws3d.jpeg
    fbpjxcl14l2a.jpeg
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Do you have REW to see what they're doing? If not, I'd temporarily prop them on small boxes or books to see where they sound the best. Not only height but left to right.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • DaveHo
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Ok, lowered them. Can't go any lower and keep things symmetrical due to the outlet on one side and the wall mount tt shelf on the other.
    My OCD won't allow it, LOL.
    320llgsu3vya.jpg
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Will hold off on mounting until tomorrow. Propping them up on boxes/chair seems like a worthwhile experiment. I'll put the TV, rack, & gear where it's going but will only connect the minimum of equipment for testing. I don't have REW or anything else.

Due to an opening into the room plus a bay window area which already has heavy drapes, there are no wall first reflection points to treat, so this is my first attempt at room treatments. Thanks to all & keep the ideas coming.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Joey_V
    Options
    I think the last heights you posted are perfect.

You get some bass absorption that way.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    You can get 3m command stuff for heavy pictures that is like velcro. I'd play around with that stuff until you get them dialed in. Heck maybe it will work to mount permanently then you can just remove and have no holes or marks on the wall.
    They have that stuff for everything.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Just install it and don't over think. It needs to be at ear height. That's why you bought them. For sound.

It honestly looks good on the last pics
  • scottyboy76
    scottyboy76 Posts: 2,905
    Options
    can I get your address and a time and date when you will all be gone? HMMMM, really nice setup and the best of luck
    humpty dumpty was pushed
  • DaveHo
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Mounted!

hj3wsn750ruk.jpg

But still need to put the rack back & get all the gear connected.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    Options
    May I just say that this thread has one of the best titles I've seen in quite a while.

:)
  • DaveHo
    edited May 2017
    Options
    So, these are the panels @DSkip was/is selling. The mounting instructions are pretty straight forward, but if there are any of you that have bought but not yet mounted, I have some tips/tricks.

Firstly the panels mount to the wall with snaps, yes, snaps. The placement of the wall mounted standoffs/snaps & its mate on the rear of the panel need to be pretty precise. This not a problem for an anal retentive guy like myself, but doing this while consuming some adult beverages is probably not a good idea. The standoffs will have some give to them, but if you are off by more than a 1/16th of an inch, I'd say you're SOL. After carefully taping the templates to the wall, I used a thumbtack to make a small hole through the template into the drywall, which also left a precise hole in the template for pre-drilling for the screws on the rear of the panels. The pin hole in the drywall made a perfect indent for centering & fornicating the drywall anchors in.

Speaking of the anchors, this brings me to tip #2. Do not use an impact to screw them in. You will twist them off if not careful. :# Tip 2.5 if you do, go to Home Depot & buy the smallest screw extractor they sell. It will back out the broken off piece buried in the drywall without making a mess of things. Then you can substitute a different kind of anchor. :*

OK, so for the last tip. I've got them on the wall and they look great! For kicks I start banging on the wall. What do you know, the snaps to not fit tight enough to prevent them from rattling. They will surely rattle on deep bass notes. What to do. Aha! I ended up pressing a small ball of blu-tack into the male half of the snap. Enough to take up the slack, but not enough to prevent the snap from engaging correctly.

Hope this helps somebody.
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Damn, if vanilla didn't censor out s.c.r.e.w.i.n.g. I replaced it with a synonym, so there...
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Looks fantastic. I like it and I like the speakers and the sub. Fine system, good sir.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,981
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Looks fantastic. I like it and I like the speakers and the sub. Fine system, good sir.

I concur. Looks awesome Dave!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,059
    Options
    Agree with my fellow Texans. Looks really good. I wish I could buy a few of those from Skip, but neither of my rooms allow for room treatments :s
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • DaveHo
    Options
    Don't know yet. A wife & two kids & their activities makes it hard to get things done. Hopefully tonight.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,461
    edited May 2017
    Options
    nm
    I disabled signatures.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    Nice job.
    I like the color.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"