If Anyone Here Drags Their Heels....It's Me (Cambridge 851N)

Finally took delivery of the Cambridge Audio 851n Network Player. been wanting to do this since I first saw it on the web but settled in with my Stream Magic 6, which was a great player too, it took me this long to make the change. Is that turtle action or what??
It delivers a smoother overall experience start to finish when setting up my playlist and accessing the files on my NAS. The stream magic took forever to load up my library and now as I am getting used to the 851n the files are loaded a lot faster and the sound is a lot more detailed. Not sure what DAC's are in the thing (as I am no tech guy, nor will I ever be) but I can say that so far I am very happy with the unit and glad I made the change. I know there are a lot more expensive network players out there but this one is no slouch. I'm not into the radio or streaming services so that means nothing to me, I just listen to the files I have added to my NAS (and trust my library is pretty extensive and growing all the time). I also have my TV running through the Cambridge via toslink and what a difference I hear in that area..wow! If anyone else has this unit, I'd like to hear your take on it. Thanks

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/851/851n
"if it's not fun, it's not worth it!!" "Smile & Stay Warm!!"

Comments

• erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,714
    Sweet! That was in the running when I was looking a while back. it looks like a solid unit!
    Lumin D1, KEF LS50 Wireless, Cayin scd-50T, LH Labs VI Dac, Technics 1200, Denon DL160, Jolida D9, HP I7 Laptop, Wireworld Eclipse 7, Wireworld Aurora, Wireworld Electra 7, Signal Magic Digital, Cardas Quadralink 5C, Velodyne SPL1200
    USB helpers: Intona, w4s Recovery

HT: Elite SC27, Full Polk RTI setup.

• ukcolin99ukcolin99 Posts: 248
    Congrats, been eyeing the N for a long time. The DAC in the N is the same as the DAC in the 851D, reportedly both units have identical innards with added streaming/network functions for the N. If you want to read how great parts of your 851N are, read the Stereophile.com review of the 851D. Two of the reviewers Jon Iverson & Art Dudley said good things about it and John Atkinson the Measurement guy said mostly very good things about it. Read them & feel even better about your purchase.
    Link below might work:https://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-851d-da-processor
    2C: Parasound A21, Polk LSiM705's, Cambridge 851N, Mac Pro 3.1.
    HT: Yamaha Aventage RX-A3020, Polk LSiM706c, LSiM703's, TL2's,BIC America F12,Samsung N65KU6300
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 1,931
    ukcolin99 wrote: »
    Congrats, been eyeing the N for a long time. The DAC in the N is the same as the DAC in the 851D, reportedly both units have identical innards with added streaming/network functions for the N. If you want to read how great parts of your 851N are, read the Stereophile.com review of the 851D. Two of the reviewers Jon Iverson & Art Dudley said good things about it and John Atkinson the Measurement guy said mostly very good things about it. Read them & feel even better about your purchase.
    Link below might work:https://www.stereophile.com/content/cambridge-audio-azur-851d-da-processor

Thanks and no need to read anymore about it. It's been on my mind for a couple of years and the thread was created to see who else drags their heels on making a change as long as I did?
    On another side, the more I use the player the more I like it. It sees over 14 thousand files in my NAS lightning fast and although those files are in theirself amazing quality, the N upsamples them to yet another level and loving that!! Very happy with the player and would recommend it in a heartbeat!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it!!" "Smile & Stay Warm!!"