Educate me on water softeners....

Options
2»

Comments

• charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    Options
    The tech. guy I spoke with @ Ohio Pure Water told me that the Fleck 5600 I bought has been a design thats been around since 79. He claimed it's a proven design that's easily serviceable. I like the fact that they sell all replacement parts online. I'm not sure how easy replacement parts are to access on older store bought units. Had a Water Boss from Lowes which had a short life, thats why I bought the older design from Ohio Pure.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Interesting, Al.
    Curious, is it soft water that makes it feel like you can't get your hands rinsed?
    scubalab wrote: »
    Not saying you don't need one Steve. It's a matter of preference. Some people (myself included) prefer hard water.

I will say that when I plumbed our addition, I ran a dedicated line bypassing the softener for our hose bibs AND a spigot at the kitchen sink. Why the spigot you ask? Well, long story short, fast brew coffee makers (Bunn, Keurig) don't like soft water. Something at the molecular level with the water and the coffee grounds causes a coating of sorts on the coffee grounds.

Huh... maybe it's not the water... could be my exceptionally soft and silky skin. ;)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I measured water hardness about 5yrs ago, when I had a CA/CH testing kit--I believe it was like 425ppm.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    The tech. guy I spoke with @ Ohio Pure Water told me that the Fleck 5600 I bought has been a design thats been around since 79. He claimed it's a proven design that's easily serviceable. I like the fact that they sell all replacement parts online. I'm not sure how easy replacement parts are to access on older store bought units. Had a Water Boss from Lowes which had a short life, thats why I bought the older design from Ohio Pure.

Nuthin' wrong with older designs. Like I said, it's not an overly complicated process what these things do. The newer models have all gone digital, so frequency of repairs may be greater, much like washer and dryers with their digital boards against the older more reliable designs.

Which, in my view, makes most store bought brands throw aways. You get 7 or 8 years out of them, toss them and spend 400 bucks for a new one. I'm on my 7th year with my last store bought brand, who knows....but I sure won't spend 250 bucks to fix a 400 buck softener. That's just me though.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Curious as to what maintenance there is to do ? If you already have a softener, replacing it doesn't require any great skill. Anyone that can turn a nut or valve can do it.

The older models that were made of metal needed to be flushed, but todays are all plastic, so the salt has little bearing on wear and tear. Plus back in the day you didn't have salt with rust inhibitors, which also wasn't good for metal tanks or your pipes. They still make metal tank softeners today, but are far better quality and treated inside against rust.

Just about everything inside a WS today is plastic, digital controlled, not much you need to do except dial it in, set the timer, and forget you ever saw it....until you have to add salt to it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    Imo, softeners with a separate resin tank and salt tank (eg Fleck) have a significant advantage if you are treating really hard water. 425 ppm is extremely hard water. If that figure is correct, you'll really appreciate the larger salt tank so you're not adding salt as often. The separate salt tank is also easy to remove, take outside and clean. This is probably only an issue with really hard water and the associated large quantities of salt.

The other advantage is that you can rebuild these units. Replace the resin and Fleck valve and it's as good as new.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
    what about Deionization systems ? anybody have experience with those?

http://filtersmart.com/water-softener-systems/?_vsrefdom=adwords&gclid=CMWOq6nP99MCFcW3wAod0z4ClA

I used to use a small scale system for certain fish I kept.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I think I'm not going to bother. Thanks for the education though fellas!
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I had an RO in my house. The company would ask me for samples every year for my filter replacement. One time I sent them two. one from the RO and one from the fridge filter. The sample from the fridge came back just as good as the RO. I pulled out the RO and my water usage went down 20%.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,554
    Options
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    LOL. Water softener spam. I wonder how long he has waited to post that?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.