Audiogon transaction question

Options
Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,520
So I purchased a Shunyata Anaconda CX 20 amp power cord.

The asking was $825 + what appeared to be $10.80 usps shipping charge.

The final accepted offer was $800 + $10.80 shipping.

So that's what I paid.

He ships the item then sends me a message and says the shipping was $30 and he would like to collect the difference.

Now, I'm not new to this. I've sold things before where I underestimated the shipping cost... But I ate the loss.

What would you do as the buyer or seller?

Easy thing to do is pay it. But I am thinking of involving audiogon and disputing it.

The item is already enroute to me.
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I'm not a rocket scientist but that don't sound right.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    If the offer was accepted at those terms, then he can pound sand and I would get audiogon involved before he tarnishes your feedback.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    When shipping I usually use the online calculator, but seems that every time I ship there is some extra cost. I eat the cost and go on with my life. I certainly don't ask the buyer for the difference.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    Options
    It's a very odd situation, never been in it before. His feedback is slightly more numerous than mine except for 2 negatives from 2009 when he placed an offer but didn't pay as a buyer.

I sent an email to audiogon and will see what they say.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    I have sold several things on audiogon. Their shipping calc $ucks!
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    erniejade wrote: »
    I have sold several things on audiogon. Their shipping calc $ucks!

You're probably right.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    It's his problem, not yours. There's nothing for him to dispute, a deal was agreed upon and money changed hands. Done!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It's his problem, not yours. There's nothing for him to dispute, a deal was agreed upon and money changed hands. Done!

Agreed. He listed the ship price in his ad. Over.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Maybe split the difference and throw him a sawbuck?
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    Too bad for him. He should have researched shipping costs more carefully. Besides, $20 is a small percentage of the overall cost. Pretty petty of the seller to ask in the first place.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    I'm with the rest. He posted shipping, you agreed on price and shipping. If the amount was wrong and does not cover his costs, then it's his problem. But then he can always give you negative feedback, but then you could do the same should it come to that.
    Seems like a deal was made, end of story.
    You could ask him what part of the offer/shipping you agreed to that he did not understand.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    Options
    Sounds to me he made a deal but really just wanted the whole amount and is trying under handed way to accomplish that.
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    Options
    I can't imagine the power cord wouldn't fit inside a flat rate box.

I wonder if this could be part of the higher A'gon costs to sell the items and could be part of the seller recouping his losses.

Not accusing the seller of anything, just a thought.

Either way, a deal is a deal.
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Boy this guy is useless.

Now he just wants me to send it back. What a pain.

Audiogon sides with me but audiogon can't force him to not undo the transaction. Apparently a loophole.
  • polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Options
    I would send it to him,, the last thing you want is that watch your back feeling next time you sell something.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Jumpin' Jeebus, Joey! The price jumped to $840 and change!
    Given the scale of of what you have paid for gear in the past........
    Suck it up, buttercup.
    In fact... I will drive to sellers house, pick up the the fookin power cord, drive it to your house and then plug it in to the gear you wish. Just feed me a sandwich and I'll be on my merry way. Nope.... fookit again...I'll send you $30 and pay for the PC on my dime. You keep the cord.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    ;) And why did you not come to LSAF?
    Missed you much.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Boy this guy is useless.

Audiogon sides with me but audiogon can't force him to not undo the transaction. Apparently a loophole.

Do what!?! You paid, he shipped, it's your power cord. How can he undo a completed transaction???
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Options
    Is he paying return shipping? So he would rather go through all this for $19.20?

Seems foolish to me. Sorry you have to deal with this Joey.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Yeah... Wait a minute....

How can he undo a transaction?? I have the cord!

Boy this guy is useless.

Do what!?! You paid, he shipped, it's your power cord. How can he undo a completed transaction???

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I had a similar problem with a transaction regarding a 250 us all inclusive deal...Later i was informed it actually cost an extra 35 us to send,I thought to myself for this person to actually contact me again showing the measly receipt that they must be in real financial difficulty so i paid it, thats the way i am.

If you don't pay the 19.20 his loss is 38.40!
  • gmcman
    Options
    Send him an invoice through Paypal stating the distance to drive to post office, cost per mile, and the return shipping costs.

That's like buying something from a store, and when you get home they leave you a voicemail telling you to come back to pay an additional amount because they mis-mamarked the pricetag.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited May 2017
    Options

Boy this guy is useless.

Slap him with a negative tell the world he's a smuck.
    And charge him 75$ more than you paid for time and discomfort paid in full before you ship.

What a smuck!!
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options

Boy this guy is useless.

Tell him if he wants if back to pay for return shipping. Use next day, early AM and tell him the total is now going to be $150.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    What a loon! A big ol' F you & negative feedback is warranted.
  • gmcman
    Options
    I would wait until he mentioned any threat of negative feedback, then inform him you would return the favor by publicly mentioning he tried to charge you additional shipping after the agreed price was transacted.

It's really about principal, if he came to you sincerely and mentioned he had a major goofup, then it's still in your court...but sounds like he's a bit more upset at his own misfortune and oversight.

But, I agree, a deal is a deal.....thats why you purchased it correct? For what you were led to believe was an agreed price that you were comfortable with.

I would like to see where Agon' has a policy that the seller can ask for more funds after the transaction is completed and not be a demerit against the buyer.

• Joey_V
    Options
    gmcman wrote: »
    Send him an invoice through Paypal stating the distance to drive to post office, cost per mile, and the return shipping costs.

That's like buying something from a store, and when you get home they leave you a voicemail telling you to come back to pay an additional amount because they mis-mamarked the pricetag.

I should bill him at my hourly rate. I bet he wouldn't like that
  • Joey_V
    Options
    hfnz9tyzv2di.jpeg

So audiogon dispute was set up and audiogon credited the guy $20. He accepted and completed the sale.

Then this.

Wow. What a chump.

Bstefano, you're on my hit list.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    Wow... what a p.o.s. Gets his money but is still sulking in his bed over 10 bucks.

I would thrash him on his feedback.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    Options
    This is the original listing:

No sign of anything on it regarding that I'm responsible for actual shipping charges beyond the audiogon calculator.

wbiznoqcs6na.jpeg
    xv3sym6wzmxn.jpeg