Popping speakers

Options
I am running 4 B&K Reference amplifiers and my 200.7 keeps making my speakers pop when turning it on and off. What do I do to remedy this problem?

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
  • schatzi2015
    schatzi2015 Posts: 91
    Options
    Is it better to leave the power left on for all the amplifiers? I usually power everything down at night.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    A lot of amps and preamps do that. It's not a big deal unless you're talking about very loudly. Of course I could be wrong.

Have your amp recapped and looked over.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My pre amp popped from new. I turn things on in sequence to prevent popping. Maybe turn amp on first, then pre amp. I leave my pre, amp, dac, and streamer on, Unless I know I won't be using it for a week then I power the pre down to save my tubes. Most manuals recommend leaving on at all times.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,759
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Does it make a pop or more of a higher-pitched thump? My 200.2 will make a pronounced thump when I power it down..but I can't classify it as a pop.

Either way, .mine has always done that,.I believe B&K omitted items within the circuitry on some of their products that would reduce or eliminate some unwanted clicks or pops to favor signal purity.

I don't know the entire truth to that but my Ref 50 makes light clicking sounds and the amp has a thump.

But I will take it....since for the price, their gear is hard to beat.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I am running 4 B&K Reference amplifiers and my 200.7 keeps making my speakers pop when turning it on and off. What do I do to remedy this problem?

Some amps do not have delay relays, which prevent the thump. Turning the volume all the down will lessen the thump sound you hear.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    Options
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    My pre amp popped from new. I turn things on in sequence to prevent popping. Maybe turn amp on first, then pre amp.
    If the preamp is causing a transient noise at turn on/ turn off you would want to turn the amp on after it and turn the amp off before it. Otherwise the amp would pass the noise, likely amplified on to the speakers.

• FTGV
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Turning the volume all the down will lessen the thump sound you hear.
    That won;t help if the noise is produced in the amp.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    My pre amp popped from new. I turn things on in sequence to prevent popping. Maybe turn amp on first, then pre amp.
    If the preamp is causing a transient noise at turn on/ turn off you would want to turn the amp on after it and turn the amp off before it. Otherwise the amp would pass the noise, likely amplified on to the speakers.

That is precisely what I do :smile:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• F1nut
    Options
    FTGV wrote: »
    Turning the volume all the down will lessen the thump sound you hear.
    That won;t help if the noise is produced in the amp.

Yeah, it will.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options

Some amps do not have delay relays, which prevent the thump. Turning the volume all the down will lessen the thump sound you hear.

This ^^^

B&K gear was known for it, even their receivers had a thump or pop to them. Turning your gear on and off in sequence can eliminate or lesson the sound or as already said, lowering the volume. The idea was those relays in their opinion had a detrimental effect to the sound quality.

That said, sometimes the loudness of that thump can also be reduced by using a good power conditioner or better power cord on that piece.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • FTGV
    Options
    Yeah, it will.
    Well since the volume control would be upstream in the signal chain from source of the noise it can't attenuate it.

• F1nut
    Options
    If I don't turn the volume all the way down on my little vintage Pioneer rig I get a nice thump on power down.

President of Club Polk

• FTGV
    edited May 2017
    Options
    OK I assume thats an integrated,that would be a different scenario since the preamp section would be shutting down at the same time as the amp section.My comments were in reference to separate pre amp/amp set up like the OP is using.
  • littlewoodboats
    littlewoodboats Posts: 823
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Uncle Jesse is correct. My GFA-585 will always make a noise when shut down. It is more pronounced if the pre is on with the volume above zero.
  • FTGV
    Options
    LOL.I have encountered a few amps sans mute relays that had some shut down noise issues.Whether the preamp was on,off,volume up, volume down nor the phase of the moon mitigated it to any degree.
  • littlewoodboats
    Options
    I am only stating what I know from personal experience. First time it happened I was on the phone to Montana to ask about it. If the amp sees an input signal of any level a slight pop becomes loud enough to cause the MW's in my M7's to move. This is not a new thing.

If the OP is hearing a loud noise or the speaker drivers are jumping in reaction it is something I would have checked.
  • schatzi2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I've tried all the different suggestions and ended up with the same results with the popping. It's not a horribly loud pop but it is enough to make the speakers move a little bit. I just think it's a little bizarre that none of the rest of my amps are doing it. I do have an upgraded MIT power cord for my Marantz pre/pro. I was thinking of trying it on the amp to see what happens. If it remedies the problem ill probably upgrade all my amps with them. Also im not running any of the amps through my power conditioner as it's just a Monster Power HTS 3500. I am upgrading to a Monster HTPS 7000 power conditioner and a Monster AVS 2000 voltage stabilizer so the HTS 3500 will be going up for sale.
  • FTGV
    Options
    . It's not a horribly loud pop but it is enough to make the speakers move a little bit.
    There is a little bit of DC reaching the speaker. DC is the enemy of loudspeaker drivers but a small spike of short duration is harmless.
  • schatzi2015
    Options
    Ok, the 200.7 amp somewhat gave up the ghost today. The popping was actually only coming from one channel/speaker. I pinpointed the speaker that was doing the popping and pulled the sock/cover off and the speakers looked as if they were being electrocuted being pushed all the way out, a little smelly, producing very low volume (at medium volume) and producing a very noticeable heat.

I immediately pulled the interconnect, fuse and speaker lead from that channel on the amp and connected to an extra channel on the same amp after everything was cooled down and everything was fine. The speakers relaxed, the volume was fine, no more popping and the heat was no longer present. Needless to say, there's obviously a channel going south in the amp which really sucks! I already pulled the amp and took it to the stereo hospital. Having it repaired, serviced/cleaned and possibly recapped if necessary.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Cool, hopefully no damage to the speakers. I like that, "stereo hospital" lol. Maybe it will come back to you with a hot nurse.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • schatzi2015
    Options
    Yeah that would help!
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    Options
    I might be inclined to pull the crossover out on the offending speaker for a quick look to see if the current caused any heat related issues. If the speakers got hot enough to actually smell, it can't hurt to look at them. It would be a shame to have a crossover cause an issue with a newly repaired amp channel.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable