Tube preamp review: McIntosh C500T vs Cary SLP-05

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,517
Introduction:
I have a soft spot for Macs. There is much to like about these special pieces.

Who can resist the blue meters, the vintage look, and all that American history? I've always wanted a Mcintosh in my system, but I could never find a reason for it.

For instance, I have tried to incorporate several Mcintosh components into my system. First, I tried to see if I could slip their power amps the MC601 monoblock into my system. At the time, I had a pair of Classe M600 amplifiers.... I brought them over to the dealer, did a demo against the big Macs and while I preferred the 601, the two were pretty close that the cost differential was not entirely justifiable. Then I stumbled onto a Boulder 2060 and the Classe M600 was so far smoked, that the MC601 was no longer even a thought.

Then, I tried to see if I would perhaps be amenable to having a Mcintosh CDP in my system. At the time, I had a Cary 306 SACD player, a highly coveted and well-liked player if you read the online critics. I went with the 306 based on my prior positive experience with the 306/200 years priors. Though I never compared the 306 SACD to other similar level players, I took the critics at their word and believed it was as good as everyone said it was. Lo behold, I began to note an deficit in my system and I began to wonder if the source was at fault. I brought the Cary 306 SACD to the dealer, compared it to the Mcintosh MCD550... and wow.. the Mac was a better player. Warmer, silkier, more musical. The imaging was better, the vocalist popped out moreso than on the Cary.

So, was I about to finally have my first Mac? The player was great... not so fast. I stumbled onto an Emm Labs DAC2x and its accompanying transport (TSDx)... and whatever improvement the Mcintosh MCD550 had over the Cary 306 SACD, the Emm stack did that AND MORE. So, again, no Mac for me.

Alright - so I failed at incorporating a Mac source and a pair of Mac amps.

So what's left? A Mac preamp.

Twice the modules, twice the fun:
Although not the current top shelf 2 box solution, the Mcintosh C500T is a formidable preamplifier. It is a Mac effort at a reference piece. It has all the ingredients: it's got all the inputs you need, it's superbly flexible (you can trim the gain +/- 6db on your outputs, it has a phono stage for MC/MM cartridges, looks fantastic, and it is well built.

Furthermore, this particular 2-chassis preamplifier is user customizable. You start with a controller box (it has all the inputs and outputs, it houses the volume controller, the input selector knob, and it contains the display unit)..... and then you choose:

Do I want a tube unit (500T)? Do I want the solid state unit (500P)?

For this instance, I chose the tube unit - hence my stack is technically called the Mcintosh C500"T".

When the unit arrived from LMC Arizona, I was greeted by a formidable stack of boxes. Each module came packed in what felt like the most rigid cartons I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing in my years of receiving audio products. Each module came encapsulated in foam within a box and then more foam within another box. The only thing better would have been either flight cases or a crate. Seriously, the packaging seemed bomb proof.

Once unpacked, the Mcintosh preamp modules are exceedingly large for a preamp. They make the Cary SLP-05 look almost comedic by comparison. I was actually worried that this Mac preamp would not fit on my rack... it did, but the edges of the modules reached the perimeter of the shelf. Then came the decision - do I put the control module above or below the tube module? Which looked better?

It didn't matter because once installed, the units looked drop dead gorgeous. The control unit looked deceptively simple with its 2 knobs and central display unit. The tube unit looked even more sexy with the tubes visible behind a glass window, back-dropped against a nice green glow. Necessary? Nah, but it looked fantastic!

The Mac Sound:
So, how did it sound? I think it sounded very good.

The best way I can describe the sound of the C500T was velvet. I felt like the sound stage had this homogeneous feel, like the images from one instrument to another were connected (not in a bad way). Yes, there was still space between the instruments and yes, the cello still felt individualized and on its own separate from the piano and from the singer... but it wasn't inappropriately compartmentalized.

The whole sound just felt like you were enjoying hot cocoa on a cold, snowy day. The glow of the green tubes from the tube module perhaps your fireplace.

There was much to like!

For instance, I felt like the bass popped and it was significantly more prominent than I was used to with my Cary SLP-05. If you read the other reviews, there has been talk about a midbass bloom, some call it boomy, but I thought it was just enjoyable. I guess it depends on your room and your speakers and ancillaries.

The midrange was nicely presented, I did not feel that it was lacking or overdone. There are certain tracks I listen to where certain aspects might be glossed over through certain components or systems... and I felt like everything was there with this unit. The subtle nuances were all there, nothing grievous was missing.

The highs were not bright and never called onto itself. There was no disconnect to any aspect of the musical reproduction, it didn't sound hyperdetailed when it didn't need to and it didn't sound blunted either. I could still follow Melody Gardot's voice as it trailed off into nothingness, I could sense an effortlessness of strings, and there was enough ambient information transcribed that I sensed the room within my room.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Joey_V
    edited May 2017
    Conclusion:
    So, what happened? Did I get rid of the Cary SLP-05 in lieu of my first Mac?

No.

As good as the Mcintosh C500T is, I felt more at home with my Cary SLP-05. Yes, I did have 2 stock EH tubes and 4 Popes in the Cary SLP-05 and I didn't get to roll Golden Lions into the C500T... but as it stood, my musical bias preferred the Cary SLP-05.

Sonically - the one thing that really stood out for me was that the SLP-05 felt more raw and immediate while at the same time more ethereal or phantasm-like than the Mcintosh C500T. The Mcintosh felt like it was slightly more laid back in terms of presentation where everything kinda just felt a little tucked in, much like watching a movie on a (VERY LARGE) 4K television vs popping a set of 3D glasses on the Cary. With the Mac , there was nothing missing, it just seemed a bit more like a reproduction whereas the Cary seemed a little more real. The SLP-05 brings out the performers, they take a step forward and present themselves in the room. It's an odd sensation. It's like they're more there, more life, more present.

Of course, this comes at a cost, I feel like the soundstage depth was better with the Mcintosh. Because the instruments and performers were less in your face, you could sit back and appreciate the entirety of the sonic landscape.... you could see further back as a result.

Physically - while the Mac C500T LOOKS vintage, the Cary IS vintage. It's not much different than driving (I presume) the 2018 Ford GT vs Steve Mcqueen's 1968 GT40. Yes both are awesome.... but one has a double clutch transmission while the other clanks and rattles while you press on the clutch and downshift the gear lever. It was an interesting dichotomy that the more featured Mcintosh C500T was beguilingly simple appearing (all the controls were relegated within the handheld remote). The Mac preamp had a much simpler faceplate while the less complex Cary SLP-05 had a more cluttered faceplate full of toggle switches and knobs while clearly being the simpler of the two.

So, I guess nothing is perfect. For me, while I can appreciate the Mcintosh C500T, I guess I prefer the Cary SLP-05. I prefer the people in the room, rather than staring at a pretty painting. That said, I can also appreciate not having everything in my personal space and I could see why others would prefer the velvet and more relaxing nature of the Mac piece. There's definitely a tonal richness apparent to the Mac; a sense of warmth best typified by the word luxury. It feels good, it sounds good, and for some - it's the preferred presentation and there's nothing wrong with that.

There's also something to be said about a piece where it feels more analog than digital. The Cary SLP-05 is simple, it's a no frills preamplifier that might seem like a dinosaur compared to the much more complex Mcintosh C500T. But boy, it's still a wonderful piece. To activate the Cary unit, you have to go through a ritual of clicks and clacks... you turn the power supply knob (click), you turn the preamp knob to the right (clack), the voltage meters turn blue, the levers move to the right, the tubes glow, you switch the toggle switch up (click), then a blue LED turns bright... and you're ready to go.

So, for now, I remain without a Mac piece. And that's ok. I'm just glad I got to experience this American work of art. I will miss it.
    Post edited by Joey_V on
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • sgmsmg
    sgmsmg Posts: 542
    Nice writeup as usual Joey. Thanks for sharing your experience.
    2 Channel
    Pre:Bryston BP173
    Amp:Bryston 14B3
    Speakers: Golden Ear Triton Reference
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Bryston BDA-3, Bryston BDP-3, Bryston BCD-3, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 Speaker, Wireworld Gold Eclipse 7 XLR, AQ Diamond USB/HDMI
    Power: PS Audio P10 Regenerator, AC12, AC10 and AC5 Cables
    Display: Sony XBR65Z9F

Home Theater
    Pre: Anthem AVM90/JBL SDP-55
    Amps: Parasound A31, A51x2
    Speakers: Polk LSiM 707 (FL/FR), Polk LSiM706 (Center), LSiM 703 (SL/SR/SBL/SBR), Polk 900-LS (Atmos)
    Subwoofers: SVS SB16 x 4
    Source: Oppo UDP-205, Apple TV, Amazon Fire
    Cables: AQ Meteor/Rocket 88, AQ Niagara/Sky
    Power: Torus AVR20, Shunyata Denali, Shunyata Delta, Cullen, PangeaAC9SE Cables
    Display: Sony XBR85Z9G
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,313
    Nice write up ! Do you regret not trying different tubes in the McIntosh? For me it opened it up more but still had the laid back Mac sound. It sounds like anyone could be happy with either unit from your review.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    Great write up. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
  • Joey_V
    edited May 2017
    erniejade wrote: »
    Nice write up ! Do you regret not trying different tubes in the McIntosh? For me it opened it up more but still had the laid back Mac sound. It sounds like anyone could be happy with either unit from your review.

I do regret not trying golden lions (for academic sake) but the main reason that I called the comparo quits after 3 months was that the difference between the two preamps was so striking that I didn't feel the need to keep exploring. When you're satisfied with a component, you're satisfied.

At this point I have slowly eliminated bottlenecks:
    It's not the digital source.
    It's not the amplifier.
    It's not the speaker wiring or power cables.
    Apparently it's not the preamp.

That leaves us with the rest. Room, interconnects, power, isolation, and potentially speakers.

I guess once I did the 3 month experiment, I found that the perceived weaknesses of the system lie elsewhere and not in the preamp domain. Once I realized this, there was no reason to continue tweaking the Mac.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I think if you get some form of power conditioning in there you will be pleasantly surprised. I live in a house that was built in 2008 in a relatively new neighborhood, I was using a dedicated circuit with a audiophile grade power bar. I figured it wasn't really required because the house isn't old. Boy was I wrong, Once I stepped into balanced power conditioning my system took a major leap in performance, I'm shocked to this very day, I shouldn't have left it for so long.

The Akiko Comditioner I added has been the best money I have spent on my system. It was a dramatic improvement, almost as dramatic as changing an amp or preamp. It doesn't alter or color the sound in any way, it dropped the noise floor considerably, and seems to have added this tonal richness to the system without coloring it. It remains dynamic, and I swear the soundstage grows in width and depth every time I listen to my system. The recommendation from the manufacturer is that it will take up to six weeks to fully settle in, I think I'm at about a month.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Joey_V
    mikeyb128 wrote: »
    I think if you get some form of power conditioning in there you will be pleasantly surprised. I live in a house that was built in 2008 in a relatively new neighborhood, I was using a dedicated circuit with a audiophile grade power bar. I figured it wasn't really required because the house isn't old. Boy was I wrong, Once I stepped into balanced power conditioning my system took a major leap in performance, I'm shocked to this very day, I shouldn't have left it for so long.

The Akiko Comditioner I added has been the best money I have spent on my system. It was a dramatic improvement, almost as dramatic as changing an amp or preamp. It doesn't alter or color the sound in any way, it dropped the noise floor considerably, and seems to have added this tonal richness to the system without coloring it. It remains dynamic, and I swear the soundstage grows in width and depth every time I listen to my system. The recommendation from the manufacturer is that it will take up to six weeks to fully settle in, I think I'm at about a month.

Mikey

What do you have plugged into the Akiko? Amp as well?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,305
    At this point I have slowly eliminated bottlenecks:

It's not the digital source.
    It's not the amplifier.
    It's not the speaker wiring or power cables.
    Apparently it's not the preamp.

That leaves us with the rest. Room <snip>
    There, I fixed that for you. You can thank me later.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Joey_V wrote: »
    mikeyb128 wrote: »

Mikey

What do you have plugged into the Akiko? Amp as well?

Amp goes into the wall, bryston claims the power supply on board the 4B3 filters out any noise, therefore not required to go into the conditioner. I have emt tried it into the conditioner yet.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• polkfarmboy
    polkfarmboy Posts: 5,703
    Get an MBL and call it a day!