What Summer Live Music Concerts You Planning to Attend?

Options
2»

Comments

• gfong
    gfong Posts: 1,079
    Options
    Sounds like most of you have some good shows that you are planning or have been to. Gotta love live music and the vibe that comes with it. Natural high!

British group The XX on Monday with my 26 year old son. Should be a hoot!

Glad that my son loves music like I do and that we can share some of these shows together.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    jflail2 wrote: »
    But my BIG win this year are third row seats to see Tool in Fairfax on May 24th. This is a bucket list show for me as I've been a fan since 1992 but have never seen them live. The calendar can't spin fast enough!

5 more days!
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    Options
    Richard Thompson.
    Live solo acoustic.
    It don't get much better than that.

https://youtu.be/j0kJdrfzjAg
  • vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Options
    Saw these at Sweetwater420: Trey Anastasio, moe, Twiddle, Dopapod, Slightly Stoopid, Jackie Greene (excellent!), and Widespread Panic. Fantastic time until the hordes of good-natured Panic nuts arrived. Not unexpected, but their crowds always amaze me.

Some pretty good stuff coming up. Especially looking forward to Natalie Merchant. Haven't seen her since during her split from 10k Maniacs when she opened for World Party. Pit or seats up front for these:

Tedeschi Trucks
    Gary Clark
    Robert Randolph
    St. Paul & The Broken Bones
    Fagen & Nightflyers
    Infamous Stringdusters
    Taj Mahal/Keb Mo
    ZZ Top
    Buckingham-McVie
    My Morning Jacket (Gary Clark)
    Umphrey's McGee
    Natalie Merchant
    Cassandra Wilson

And finally in September, the Bristol Rhythm & Roots Reunion in Bristol VA/TN - a very well run laid back festival in a friendly little mountain town; family oriented, a dozen or so intimate stages, diverse lineup of pretty much anything rooted in American music, amazing musicianship throughout, a refreshing substance-over-form vibe, knowledgeable polite and appreciative attendees, no massive crowds of crazies, $55 for the weekend(!). Lineup below (plus about 50 more incredibly talented local & regional artists. Highly recommended.

mum56oej9ktc.jpg
    b]Beach Audio[/b]: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Topping D90iii * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We just got tickets to see Michael Martin Murphey perform at Devil's Kitchen on the Colorado National Monument. It's not a big concert, but rather an intimate gathering of about 300 people set back in a beautiful canyon in western Colorado. I'm not a big fan of country music, but his song "Wildfire" takes me back to my college days at Ohio State. I think they played that song on the radio every morning on my trip in to the campus. After the concert we can hang around and meet him in person. It should be a special evening.

http://www.visitgrandjunction.com/events/michael-martin-murphey-colorado-national-monument

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tp-95ckzdDo

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    I just noticed my favorite new comer, Margo Price, is playing the same day as Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Sheryl Crow and a few others in the ampitheater for the last day of Summerfest in Milwaukee. Margo is at 3pm, Sheryl at 6:30, Bob at 8:00 and Willie at 9:45pm All for the price of one. I will definitely be attending all day.
  • adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    Options
    A Perfect Circle (that was about a month ago)
    Roger Waters (next week)
    Future Islands
    Jason Isbell
    Ryan Adams
  • jflail2
    jflail2 Posts: 2,868
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    But my BIG win this year are third row seats to see Tool in Fairfax on May 24th. This is a bucket list show for me as I've been a fan since 1992 but have never seen them live. The calendar can't spin fast enough!

5 more days!

Are you going?? It's tomorrow!!!!!!!! Man I am so pumped I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight.

Just added VIP tix to Phantogram/Tycho in July to my Summer concert series and enjoyed the Brit Floyd show to no end last night. What a great summer for music.
    2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options

5 more days!

Are you going?? It's tomorrow!!!!!!!! Man I am so pumped I'm not gonna be able to sleep tonight.

Just added VIP tix to Phantogram/Tycho in July to my Summer concert series and enjoyed the Brit Floyd show to no end last night. What a great summer for music.

I'll be seeing TOOL a few days before my graduation ceremony. As my former professor, and a darn fine mentor, put it, "What a great way to celebrate!" BTW - She's a fan :smile:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Just picked up 3 tix for Katy Perry in Columbus for my granddaughter and a pair of Natalie Merchant tix in Chicago. Natalie Merchant was a bargain of all the tickets I've purchased recently. Well, saw Justin Townes Earle in Austin recently and that was a steal at $25,
  • Nightfall
    edited May 2017
    Options

5 more days!

No but I'm going to see them next month in California with a very good friend of mine along with Clutch, Primus, Melvins, and Fantomas second row. Thanks to a very generous person I didn't even have to sacrifice my stereo in the end, but I was willing!

@jflail2 How was the show? Who played with them? I want to live vicariously through you, I'm so freaking excited myself.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    Options
    I'm going to kick myself if I miss these this year....going back home to Michigan, Legendary artist here.

In August:
    ChickCoreaBelaFleck-d6d8006da1.jpg

And the Detroit Jazz Festival in Sept. The lineup is shaping up to be off the charts!

SEPT. 1

Wayne Shorter Quartet featuring Danilo Pérez, John Patitucci and Brian Blade
    Miles Mosley
    Herbie Hancock
    George (Sax) Benson Detroit Jam Session

SEPT. 2

HUDSON Jack DeJohnette, Larry Grenadier, John Medeski and John Scofield
    Dee Dee Bridgewater
    Theo Croker Quintet
    Chucho Valdés Joe Lovano Quintet
    Donny McCaslin
    Spanish Harlem Orchestra
    Miles Mosley + the West Coast Get Down
    Billy Childs Quartet: Rebirth
    Danilo Pérez: PanaMonk
    John Patitucci: The Electric Guitar Quartet

SEPT. 3

Henry Butler & the Jambalaya Band
    Cameron Graves
    Benny Golson
    Sean Jones Quintet
    John Beasley: MONK’estra
    Kyle Eastwood Quintet
    Akihiro Nishiguchi Trio
    Kamasi Washington
    Mark Guiliana Jazz Quartet
    Kat Edmonson
    Quintet: Wayne Shorter, Geri Allen, Leo Genovese, Esperanza Spalding and Terri Lyne Carrington
    Wide Angles: The Music of Michael Brecker
    Under the Direction of Gil Goldstein Featuring: Joe Lovano, Donny McCaslin, Rick Margitza, John Patitucci, Brian Blade and members of the DJF Orchestra

SEPT. 4

Vijay Iyer
    Regina Carter: Simply Ella
    Stanley Clarke
    New Light: The Music of Elvin Jones: Live @ the Lighthouse, featuring Dave Liebman, Gene Perla, Adam Niewood, Adam Nussbaum
    Jason Marsalis Vibes Quartet
    Johnny O’Neal Trio
    Wayne Shorter Quartet with the Detroit Jazz Festival Symphony Orchestra perform "Emanon"
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    Looking forward to Petty upstate New York. Gonna hit some wineries up there 4 sure!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Badiveganaf
    Badiveganaf Posts: 15
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Taking my wife to see Bush in Warfield Auditorium in in the city on June 1st. They are one of our favorite bands back in our high school days.
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    WLDock wrote: »
    I'm going to kick myself if I miss these this year....going back home to Michigan, Legendary artist here.

In August:
    ChickCoreaBelaFleck-d6d8006da1.jpg

Man I'd love to see Chick Corea.
  • gfong
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Well The XX last Monday at Echo Beach, Toronto were great!
    Outdoor venue named after the song by the Canadian new wave band Martha and the Muffins, "Echo Beach.

All sand, beach setting on Lake Ontario.. pop up bars all over.. great venue for a party atmosphere. Had fun.
    Back there again late June to see Third Eye Blind with The SilverSun Pickups!

Last night was punk rock night with Sam Coffey, The Dirty Nil and The Flatliners. Had a hoot and the my neck is sore from head banging.. stayed out of the mosh pit at 55 years of age.. Ha Ha!

Next up is Neil Diamond June 7th.... no head bobbing.. well maybe! :)
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Options
    My buddy that came to LSAF with me, Mark, just went to Roger Waters this past week and said it was the best sounding concert he's ever heard...and he's been to hundreds. Said they were using surround sound and it was excellent.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Just received my Graham Nash solo tickets, and today going to order tickets for Ricky Lee Jones and also Larry Campbell & Theresa Williams, playing on different dates but at the same several-hundred-seat restored opera house.
  • jflail2
    edited June 2017
    Options

5 more days!

No but I'm going to see them next month in California with a very good friend of mine along with Clutch, Primus, Melvins, and Fantomas second row. Thanks to a very generous person I didn't even have to sacrifice my stereo in the end, but I was willing!

@jflail2 How was the show? Who played with them? I want to live vicariously through you, I'm so freaking excited myself.

Dude..........unfrickinbelievable. I'd rate that show and the Radiohead show I caught in 08 as the 2 best concerts I've ever seen, and by a wide margin.

Edit: No one opened for them so it was just Tool.

They opened with 4 cuts from Lateralus, and then decided to go a bit more old school, with a few cuts from Opiate and Aenima. Danny Carey tore up a drum solo as they kicked off the second set, and then they ended the night with Stinkfist, which had the crowd literally floating out the doors. It was truly epic. First time I've ever seen them live and I hate I waited this long to do so.

Here's a pic of the seats we had. They were 3rd row, but the 2nd and 1st rows ended about 4-5 seats to our left, so we were technically front row, and about 8 feet from Justin Chancellor.

ysryaa17vapl.jpg

• Nightfall
    Options
    Dude..........unfrickinbelievable. I'd rate that show and the Radiohead show I caught in 08 as the 2 best concerts I've ever seen, and by a wide margin.

They opened with 4 cuts from Lateralus, and then decided to go a bit more old school, with a few cuts from Opiate and Aenima. Danny Carey tore up a drum solo as they kicked off the second set, and then they ended the night with Stinkfist, which had the crowd literally floating out the doors. It was truly epic. First time I've ever seen them live and I hate I waited this long to do so.

Here's a pic of the seats we had. They were 3rd row, but the 2nd and 1st rows ended about 4-5 seats to our left, so we were technically front row, and about 8 feet from Justin Chancellor.

It's about time you got back on here! ;)

I have been watching a lot of Tool concerts on YouTube lately, I am so unbelievably excited. I fully expect this will be the best concert I will go to until I die.

I'm surprised they played stuff off Opiate to be honest, that's very cool. Did they play their new song "Descending"?

• adb3da
    adb3da Posts: 506
    edited June 2017
    Options
  • jflail2
    Options

It's about time you got back on here! ;)

I have been watching a lot of Tool concerts on YouTube lately, I am so unbelievably excited. I fully expect this will be the best concert I will go to until I die.

I'm surprised they played stuff off Opiate to be honest, that's very cool. Did they play their new song "Descending"?

Yea, I was super pleased to hear a couple from Opiate. Third Eye was a real treat as well. I honestly didn't know Descending was a new song, as it was instrumental so I thought they were just jamming out. So yes, I caught the new song and didn't even realize it was.....shame on me. I was hoping for a couple of classics from Undertow as well, but they only have so much time on stage I guess. Yup, this is tied for the best show I've ever seen. If you're disappointed in any way I'll paypal your ticket fee to you, haha.

And yea, I've caught an airshow, Brit Floyd, Tool, and then a 3 day beach trip all in the last 2 weeks, so I'm just now getting caught up with work/life/hockey.

• gfong
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Well I just added Arcade Fire w/ Broken Social Scene to the concert list... not a summer concert but still a concert to go to in November!
    2 pre-sale tickets in hand for the Windsor, Ontario show.