Cheap way to play flac, wav, mp3 without a computer

2»

Comments

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,906
    erniejade wrote: »
    About 1/4 acre.
    I think your right on with me talking him into a cheap desktop or laptop and a cheap usb dac like the dragonfly Tony mentioned. I will give him a ring tomorrow.

It's truly the best option.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,632
    I found a Lenovo T430S I5 with 8 gig of ram for 100$, hifimediy sabre usb dac es9023 for $42 ( it gets great reviews at this price) and a Toshiba usb 2 tb drive for $79$ Just need to load up Jriver and he should be good for under $250. Solid for a garage system on a receiver I think
  • LegenderLegender Posts: 264
    Excellent find and build. I'm sure this will meet his needs now and for years to come. Nice work and he's lucky to have you as a friend.
  • erniejade wrote: »
    I found a Lenovo T430S I5 with 8 gig of ram for 100$, hifimediy sabre usb dac es9023 for $42 ( it gets great reviews at this price) and a Toshiba usb 2 tb drive for $79$ Just need to load up Jriver and he should be good for under $250. Solid for a garage system on a receiver I think

I've been using the HiFiMe Sabre 9018 ($80 at Amazon) for almost a year and am very happy with its performance. It was a big improvement over my PC's internal dac. There are some $300 dacs that use the Sabre 9023 chip. HiFiMe also makes android specific headphone dacs with the Sabre 9018 or 9023 chips (check out their website, and reviews at Headfi).

It sounds like you found some good deals and kept the cost down.
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 12,906

I'm glad you went that route. It is the best route for sure - much better and cheaper than a Mini in that situation.
  • erniejadeerniejade Posts: 3,632
    Thanks all. @DonnerUndBlitzen When I was shopping for a cheap dac, I did check out their website. It seems their stuff gets some darn good reviews for the $.

I think he will be happy with it. He can kick up the tunes and work around the garage and have a much more reliable setup to play music. In the spring, summer and fall, the garage is basically the party area so it will get a lot of use.
  • Some of the customer reviews have had both the HiFiMe Sabre 9023 and 9018, some prefer one over the other and vice versa. I've only heard the 9018. The nice thing about these products is that if they disappoint, you're only out $40 or $80, instead of $400 or more. I still plan on buying another for my bedroom/office system. The dac in my Dell laptop is not very good.

Besides HiFiMe, Cambridge Audio makes an $80 headphone amp/dac, Fiio has a $80 dac, Schiit has a $100 dac, and AudioQuest has a $100 "Dragonfly." (plus, probably another half dozen other candidates). It is a great time to be a beer budget audiophile.
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,281

Ernie, that'll work beautifully and with the easiest control possible without some idiot file player to figure out...click and go!
  • nbrowser wrote: »

Ernie, that'll work beautifully and with the easiest control possible without some idiot file player to figure out...click and go!

The best thing I like about my new computer over playing music on my cell phone is its 22" widescreen monitor. My cell phone only has an 18" widescreen (I can still fit it in my pants pockets, so long as I wear baggie pants). Plus, with that 18" monitor, my cell phone only holds a charge for 15 minutes before it needs recharging. No such problems with my computer.
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 1,777
    What type of cell phone has an 18 inch screen on it?
  • Emlyn wrote: »

an iPad :)
  • One of my friends has a monster size iPhone and he dropped it once and it caused ground tremors. I did see something on TV about a fold out screen (there are already fold out keyboards) but have not kept up with that. Maybe they will come up with 5th wheel cell phones with 3 slide outs on them (you need at least an F350 to haul such a cell phone).
  • nbrowsernbrowser Posts: 6,281
    Emlyn wrote: »

an iPad :)

erm biggest iPad is the larger iPad Pro at 12.9 inches...I've the smaller version of the Pro though, also carry a 5.5 inch screen iPhone 6S Plus as my every day phablet lol.
  • lightman1lightman1 Posts: 8,051
    edited May 19
    I have no idea what y'all are talking about.
    Seems I need a $12k DAC to listen to a set of headphones that cost $200.
    Or.... I can stream music from one 67,236 services offered online, as long as I purchase the proper driver to play the music I have purchsed previously. Then after that, I should consult the CHIP gurus to tell me my stock DAC/streamer won't work with this version of LAN based NAS because Apple hates Andriod and vis-a-vis.......
    You all suck the green version of donkey testes.
  • lightman1 wrote: »
    I have no idea what y'all are talking about.
    Seems I need a $12k DAC to listen to a set of headphones that cost $200.

I'll sell you a DAC for $12,000. But wait, if you act right now, I can cut you a deal for $10,000. And because you are a Polk Audio Forum member, there will be no additional charge for s/h. (Limited time offer for U.S residents only, those in foreign countries please add an additional 30% to the price plus s/h and import duties).

BTW, your $200 headphones will sound and feel just like a million bucks if you take advantage of this offer (or, at least $10,200).
  • pkquatpkquat Posts: 422

Sounds awesome. Just an FYI, I have often seen 4TB drives from the big 3 for about ~$100. Sometimes its $10 more for the smaller portable version, sometimes the same. If you go with a portable one, I recommend a powered usb hub to reduce the power load on the PC if its always on.
2»