Downfiring sub on concrete?

Options
Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
I have a small Pioneer 100w downfiring sub that someone is interested in but they want to use it in a garage and put it on a concrete floor. Is the hard surface going to make it to "boomy"?

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    It shouldn't.

If anything, the solid footing would improve response since the floor won't be flexing.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    It might as that is a hard reflective surface. They can always put a piece of scrap carpet or the like under it.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah, like @F1nut said, reflections can be a problem. Won't necessarily make it boomy, though. More like shouty, like when a tweeter is real bright.

A chunk of carpet underneath it will tame all of that. Even just a piece of, like, particle board. Something with a non-smooth surface that will help break up reflections. Carpet would work best, though.

I have a pretty powerful sub sitting on the concrete floor in the basement. It's on spikes so it's sitting on the concrete but there is a carpeted floor under it. It's only boomy when I set the crossover to make it boomy. Otherwise, the concrete is a positive thing since it can vibrate the entire floor in the living room and gets muddy because of that.

In the basement, though, the low-end extension actually improved being on the solid surface.
    Post edited by Jstas on
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,799
    Options
    ^ Nailed it ^
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    Thanks, guys, he has decided to take the sub. And funny you mention about the carpet, I was thinking the same thing. I have a couple 18"x18" carpet squares laying around and was going to offer him one.

He said he has a receiver already and a pair of Bose 201's that he's going to use. I would think the Bose would be tough to place well in a garage. Good luck there.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 342
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I saw a headbanger cruising up my local inner city street about a year ago. His car audio system was literally shaking the ground! Luckily he pulled over & I got a chance to ask him about his setup. The boot was full of amps (I counted 6). The subs that were shaking the ground turned out to be a pair of massive 1500 watt MTX subs! The guy had cut holes in the floor of the trunk and had the subs pointed straight toward the ground, with just a perspect cover over them! Not sure if streets in the US are concrete?...but that car sounded pretty good! B)