My Poor Toyota Tacoma took on Hail..

Options
Toolfan66
Toolfan66 Posts: 16,895
edited May 2017 in The Clubhouse
I just paid off my truck two months ago and it took on hail on my way home from work yesterday afternoon and lost. It was freaking scary stuck in traffic and all you can do is sit and watch the destruction happen, every panel has dents except the tailgate, I will be shocked if they don't consider it a total loss...9vdy5eymrrpo.jpg

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Wow man, baseball sized hail ? I'd be surprised insurance even covers it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    I have had hail damage repaired twice. It was covered under comprehensive, so only a small deductible. They can do wonders fixed it by "massaging" the dents from the underside. There are only a couple small dents still visible in my current car, the rest were eliminated.

My entire car was covered with dents, but they weren't as deep as yours. Still, same method of repair should work, I think.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,060
    Options
    Bummer I feel for you nice truck. My Yota truck has taken on hail a time or two so I've had it repaired a couple of times. They flow in out of no where the paint less dent removal guys, avoid them like the plague, take it to a experienced body shop they can work wonders. If they total it they pay you out you get it fixed and drive it till it dies which can carry you into retirement those Yotas last forever.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I had a 92 Toyota pickup 4x4 a couple years ago, got stuck in hail as well. I ended up with over 200 dents on my truck, like you I was stuck on traffic just going through it. Intense situation. Glad you were safe regardless if your truck took some damage.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,560
    Options
    Have a friend in Colorado springs who lost two to hail in the last two years. Hail in Colorado is in a whole nother league. Good luck Larry.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I just had my first experience with significant hail. Hit right before a tornado blew through. I love weather, but man, that was kinda eerie. Luckily no damage, but I can relate to the serious disappointment of taking damage beyond your control to a vehicle you've worked hard for and taken pride in its ownership.

My car was damaged during a break-in an office parking lot. As if that weren't bad enough, vandalized a second time by the hacks at the repair shop. I gave up after that. Was just never the same again.

Sucks having this sort of thing happen. You do your best to take care of it all, and your efforts are undone in seconds by weather or others' carelessness, or even just dirtbag thieves.

Hope they can get you taken care of to your satisfaction.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Options
    That is some serious hail. Glad the windshield held up. Timing is everything, soon as it's yours then the damage happens. Hope this turns out well for you.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    I have a 09 Tacoma that also got hailed on. Wifes car was in the same parking lot and both the front and back windows were broken out. Most of the cars in the parking lot got it worse than the trucks and SUVs. I'm guessing it has to do with how the windows are more vertical on the trucks and SUVs.

Wifes car was a total loss. Tacoma had $8k worth of damage. I just took the money. I still have the truck but don't worry about it as much as I use to. I only drive it when bad weather is predicted or we need to tow/haul something.

Most of the dents did not break the paint but 2 did. Those now have a bit of rust.

It sucks when this happens. But one thing is for sure. I don't worry about getting hail damage on it anymore.

Good luck with what you decide.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Stew
    Stew Posts: 645
    Options
    Holy crap! It takes a lot to dent window pillars. I've been in smaller hail that was loud and scary. Can't imagine what that sounded like.
    SDA 2B-TL (Sonicap/Solen/Mills, Erse Super Q, Rings, Spikes, No-Rez)
    1000VA Dreadnought
    Dared SL-2000a (Siemens & Halske TM 12AT7WA's, Brimar 5Z4G)
    Jolida JD-100a (Sylvania BP TM Gold Brand 5751's), NAD C275BEE, Blue Jeans

RTiA3, Onkyo TX-SR605
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Glad you didn't suffer any physical injury yourself, Larry.

We had a hail storm with baseball sized hail roll through SE Pa a few years ago. Lots of car & house damage, trees shredded, crops destroyed. Car dealers had their entire inventory trashed. Roofing companies from all over the country swarmed the area looking to cash in. Thankfully it missed my home but my daily driver has a few dings. I still see cars driving around that look like they've been parked in the middle of a driving range. Nasty stuff.
  • msg
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    I have a 09 Tacoma that also got hailed on.
    $8k worth of damage. I just took the money. I still have the truck but don't worry about it as much as I use to. I only drive it when bad weather is predicted or we need to tow/haul something.
    It sucks when this happens. But one thing is for sure. I don't worry about getting hail damage on it anymore.
    And now it has the same aerodynamics used in golf ball design, which means you probably get much better fuel economy. That was smart, Todd, using the weather to your advantage like that. I will now try to replicate same effect with a ballpeen hammer. I'll first practice on my boss's BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe. Prob even get a promotion, too. Thanks for the idea!
    I disabled signatures.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,662
    Options
    "msg wrote: »
    And now it has the same aerodynamics used in golf ball design, which means you probably get much better fuel economy. That was smart, Todd, using the weather to your advantage like that. I will now try to replicate same effect with a ballpeen hammer. I'll first practice on my boss's BMW 6 Series Gran Coupe. Prob even get a promotion, too. Thanks for the idea!

Let us know how that works out for you!
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, WAY Silver 3 Ana+ Speaker Cables, WAY Silver 4+ Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    Already got a claim going, took them four hours to call me back last night, personally at this point I hope they consider it a total loss, and I will just get another Yota Coma.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    We had a hail storm roll through my hometown in NE Pa. one time. So many cars got damaged that State Farm set up tents in a parking lot. You make an appt., drive up to the tent and they take it inside and close the flaps, then put a blacklight on it.

They pulled the car out and wrote up a check on the spot. I kept the money and the dents in my little Corolla.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    Damn, that's rough, sorry to hear about this. Hope insurance does the right thing for you.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Yikes, we just got rain up here. Good luck Larry, hope it works out in the end.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Why wouldn't they?
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    I'll also be surprised if it's not totally written off!!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    There was a guy at my work tonight that had to drive his wifes car, all of his glass was busted.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • msg
    Options
    tratliff wrote: »
    "msg wrote: »

Let us know how that works out for you!
    Sooo, hey Todd, you guys are hiring right?
    I should be available to interview in 3 to 5, with good behavior.
    Not too worried about the black eyes and broken fingers, as I hear the county prison system has good healthcare. Also a great after hours party scene? Whatever that means...
    I disabled signatures.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Jeez that's grievous man...it looks like you drove through a meteorite shower!! Looking at the extent of the damage, i'd say that will be an economic write off. I hope your Insurance atleast mostly covers the cost of an identical or equivalent replacement vehicle. Let us know how it goes :o .
  • Joey_V
    Options
    nbrowser wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »

Why wouldn't they?

There are insurance companies that say hail damage is an act of god or somesuch and will deny coverage, happens a lot of the province of Alberta up here. Calgary is known to get some wild hail storms and you see a lot of hail damaged vehicles going unfixed or un-replaced because the insurance company said kiss it.

That's odd. Here in Dallas area we had hail a few months ago and insurance took care of all of us.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    This is what hail did to my parents car a couple months ago.

k5p8jr7rydoh.jpeg
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    I don't know what i would rather drive through...hail the size of baseballs or Connecticut....

That's a tough one!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Options
    Yeah your insurance should cover it. I had it happen twice when I lived in Tennessee. Both times it was during tornadoes.
  • Toolfan66
    Options
    My insurance is going to cover it, I was never concerned that they wouldn't, I'm just curious if they will total it, and I get to go truck shopping...
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    edited May 2017
    Options
    If you have comprehensive it will be covered. If you have collision, it's likely you have comprehensive as well. I haven't seen an insurance company deny a hail claim if you have the coverage. I know lots of body guys from working in the automotive industry for 15 years, they can work miracles, especially paintless dent repair.

I feel your pain, I had a minty 1990 MKii 16v golf GTI get destroyed by hail. I only had the basic coverage, therefor I was screwed.

Sorry missed your post directly above mine :relaxed:
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    I think this guy's car would be totaled from that storm...

https://youtu.be/zh7Kx2bcVqM
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    That was my fear last week while rolling into Dallas. Big black cloud roller, started pea size hail, then just a gusher of rain. I was gritting my teeth as I just got my truck out of the shop after a lady rear ended me. Dallas has been pummeled with hail the last couple years with up to grapefruit size plowing through roofs and destroying homes, cars etc.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Joey_V
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    That was my fear last week while rolling into Dallas. Big black cloud roller, started pea size hail, then just a gusher of rain. I was gritting my teeth as I just got my truck out of the shop after a lady rear ended me. Dallas has been pummeled with hail the last couple years with up to grapefruit size plowing through roofs and destroying homes, cars etc.

Yeah my parents were in Dallas. Totaled.

good thing my car was parked inside.