B&K EX-442 and ST-202+ Different ??

Options
VSAT88
VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
edited May 2017 in 2 Channel Audio
Wanted to know if anyone here knows the difference between the B&K ST-202+ and the EX-442. Is one superior to the other ? All I could find was a schematic that does not say too much as far as I can see. Both amps are mentioned. I read somewhere that the 442 has two transformers. I know that the 202+ has one. Any help will be appreciated.

Comments

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Maddeningly, there used to be a great one-sheet on the B&K website comparing all specs for their amplifiers. Very handy. It appears with the sale of the B&K name, that pdf is no longer available. What a shame, wish I had saved it! If anyone did save a copy it would certainly answer your question from a spec standpoint anyway.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    I gots some info. I leave for you to interpret...
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • VSAT88
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »

Jay, that "Previous Amp Specs.pdf" is the Holy Grail. That is exactly what I was looking for. I had seen it before on some site somewhere and it was not only incomplete but was nearly illegible. That is such a find. Thank you for sharing it. I also left you a PM. Regards, Jim.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,460
    Options
    Are you looking at a specific EX-442?
    I have one. It was my first amp. It has a single toroidal transformer, four soup can type caps. The one I have is the Sonata version and also has the optional XLR inputs. The heat sink is internal instead of hanging off the back.

That's a great document AG posted with the specs. If accurate, you can see that the EX-442 offers 75A peak current to the 202+'s 28A.
    I disabled signatures.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Yes, I saw that. 75 A peak is crazy good I would think for what I would use it for. Two SDA-SRS 2's and yes I do want the B&K. I have one on the line now hopefully to pick up tomorrow.
  • 11tsteve
    11tsteve Posts: 1,166
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Previous amp specs.... http://www.radie.us/literature/b_k/Previous Amp Specs.pdf

sorry. did not see agfrost posted.
    Polk Lsi9
    N.E.W. A-20 class A 20W
    NAD 1020 completely refurbished
    Keces DA-131 mk.II
    Analysis Plus Copper Oval, Douglass, Morrow SUB3, Huffman Digital
    Paradigm DSP-3100 v.2
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Thanks Steve. I am picking it up tomorrow in Atlanta. Both, the EX-442 and the Pro 5 Preamp he has. Wish a country boy luck on his drive thru the big city.
  • msg
    Options
    hehe, you ought do fine. Just throw a tarp over the hay bales B)

excited for you, man. That EX-442 is a nice piece of gear. Versatile. It's still one of my favorite pieces. I have the accompanying MC-101 preamp, and the Pro 5 Pre you're picking up seems similar, though never heard one so not sure of the sound. Should make for a nice 2ch setup. fwiw, I find the MC-101 and EX-442 to be a bit brighter than I typically prefer, but maybe some of this older gear I have is in need of build component refresh. The EX-442 works great with everything else I've used it with. you're in for a treat.

Have you used any high current 200wpc amps before?
    I bought the EX when I was trying to tame some RTi10s. I didn't quite manage it to my liking, but man, did it spank those speakers to a level that two high end consumer AVRs I demoed at the time simply couldn't touch. Tight, controlled, authoritative.

So what are your plans, and what are you planning to run this new gear with?
    I disabled signatures.
  • VSAT88
    Options
    Man I am glad you thought of that..I got to unload them chicken crates before I head off ! I do not think I have ever run any high current equipment besides the HCA-1206 Parasound and if it's not high current then I don't know what high current sounds like. Bridge mono that one is 360w per and it is some kind of powerful. I listen to .FLAC files and some LP's from time to time. Mp 3 too thru my system. As of now it's a PC to a DAC to a Kenwood C2 out to the Basic M2 amp into the re capped and re tweeted..lol..RD-194's..SDA-SRS 2's. I am very happy with the sound but I have wanted American made speakers/amp/pre for a long time. I have a little Dynaco ST 70 and a pair of Dynaco A 25's that also use the same pre (C2) and the rest of the front end equipment that I really love listening too as well. As you can see I am the farthest from an audiophile as they get but I don't think, I know my system sounds great. I will be really happy to get the B&K equipment. I had him test for DC offset and both channels are at or about 25 mA so I should be able to listen for a while until I make up a parts order for a complete re cap. Thanks for all of your help. Have a good one . Going to bed early, gotta get them hogs slopped early so I can hit Atlanta..
  • msg
    Options
    ^^^ lol

Psssh, not at all, and I'm no one to judge, either. I'm really curious to hear your impressions once you get set up. And obviously no pressure, if you don't like it, it won't hurt my feelings, but I haven't had a B&K piece yet that I haven't enjoyed. Even the little Video 5 amp. I think it's only 105wpc or something like that, but man, so smooth and sweet with the HSU HB-1s, and the VTF-2 picks up the bottom end. I use it with a Parasound Model 7100 for the br system. Be interested to see the rehab progress on this when you start it.

Charlotte says Wilbur is a Wonder Pig.
    I want bacon anyway.
    I disabled signatures.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    agfrost wrote: »

exactly!!! I'm gonna save it this time!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• VSAT88
    edited May 2017
    Options
    No way I can say I do not like this amp. Its pretty awesome. Set DC offset and Bias as per B&K paperwork. Runs very nice and cool. More detail than my other amp. Seems like it has a bit more bass and the separation of the channels sounds better. Like the speakers are farther apart or something. Really like it so far. Don't get me wrong it does not stomp on the Kenwood M2 but I think I am going to like it better in the long run. The Kenwood will stay at home where it belongs and will act as a back up amp. when I take this one down to bare boards to do a re cap with new bias and DC offset pots. I got the Pro 5 Pre as well but I have yet to check it over. Running the Kenwood C2 I restored. It will be very hard to beat. Man I really do thank you guys. I can always come here and Polk around a bit and find friendly folks that are willing to help. 1hu8q4cu44ph.jpg
    7c076p69uv2q.jpg