tsx 330T a little bright sounding for music ??

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    S20 are $299 a pair

LSIM 703 are $479 each

It all depends on budget and what you want to spend. For that much of a price difference the 703 better sound a lot better than the S20

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • dannylightning
    dannylightning Posts: 233
    edited May 2017
    mrloren wrote: »
    S20 are $299 a pair

LSIM 703 are $479 each

It all depends on budget and what you want to spend. For that much of a price difference the 703 better sound a lot better than the S20

i would imagine there is a huge difference between the two. 703's are actually more than that at most places but i do see them around that price at a few places. i really don't want to spend that much but last time i wen out and spent that kind of money on a set of speakers i was pretty happy with what i got and it was the only time i was actually happy with what i got. but every now and again you do find less expensive item that will surprise you. too bad best buy is the only place around that still carrys polk and last time i was in there they had one pair of low polks and the sales man said they dont really carry polk any more cus thre not good speakers.

i think im gonna try to sell both sets of my towers locally and when there gone ill get my self some nice bookshelf..
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,709

i think im gonna try to sell both sets of my towers locally and when there gone ill get my self some nice bookshelf..

That's a good plan. However, as I stated earlier in your situation you should seriously look at front ported or better yet sealed speakers. The NHT Classic 3 is a nice sealed bookie that won't break the bank.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    edited May 2017
    i would imagine there is a huge difference between the two.
    I have a pair of S20s that I hooked up to brand new equipment, cables, etc., and my experience was initially they were very shrill sounding ("bright?"). Now after about 100 hours they sound really nice. Maybe everything just had to burn in? I will say, now, the sound quality is excellent, but they do lack in the bass department. If you go with them, keep your sub in the mix and you should be very happy.

Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Danny, it looks like you're getting the most out of the space restriction you have with the gear you have. As others have mentioned, a set of nice bookshelves to replace the towers will be the biggest improvement you can make at this time.
    I always say, "Get what you can with what you've got, and enjoy what you get".
    It looks like you're getting the most you can right now with "where you're at". Enjoy it.
    :)
    Sal Palooza
  • i have always liked the sound of NHT book shelf speakers that i have heard in the past but i dont think there are any shops that have them around me. all the stereo shops in the area are gone now except for one and they seem to only carry a few brands of speakers. ill have to go to their website and see what brands they carry at the moment.

i have always really like the tone i hear from the higher end polk speakers and i generally find a 3 way speaker to sound a little for rock and roll music

i have had rear ported speakers in this room before and they sounded good, i do hear more bass coming out of these speakers with the front ports.. i cant really ever remember having sealed speakers,

would a sealed speaker lack deep bass ?

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Derf wrote: »
    i would imagine there is a huge difference between the two.
    I have a pair of S20s that I hooked up to brand new equipment, cables, etc., and my experience was initially they were very shrill sounding ("bright?"). Now after about 100 hours they sound really nice. Maybe everything just had to burn in? I will say, now, the sound quality is excellent, but they do lack in the bass department. If you go with them, keep your sub in the mix and you should be very happy.

allot of speakers need to break in for sure. they also say cables burn in but im not so sure i have noticed a difference in sound after a new cable has got its time in.

i have even bought a set of headphones once that sounded horrible. put on some music on my pc and plugged in the head phones over night. they sounded good in the morning

every time i get a new set of speakers i try to leave the stereo play constantly for a few days and they usually start to sound better after a day or two.

maybe i should get a set of the S20 from best buy and see how they do. i have been reading some reviews and people seem to think they sound amazing. if i dont like them i can always take them back.

but i at least need to get rid of one set of my towers before i buy anything else.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• i was able to get the speaker on the right a few more inches away from the side wall and that took away allot of the harshness out of the cymbal hits. before i got a tv in here i had more wiggle room for speaker placement.

here is my sound quality chart and where i would like to be on that chart.

A.you must not give a damn about sound quality
    B.most people could stand to listen to it
    C.average joe would like it.
    D.average joe would love it but a serious listener would want a little more.
    E.a serous listener would probably like it.
    F.a serious listener would probably really like it.
    G.a serious listener would probably love it
    H.a serious listener would be probably blown away

i would like go have something in the F or Z zone..

right now i would say i am in the D zone.. i am not sure where the S20 would be on that chart.

when i heard the floor standing LSiM speakers i remember them being in the G zone so i would assume the 703 would be only be a step behind, when i head a set of the old LSI bookshelfs i remember thinking these are awesome for a book shelf, but that was a a while ago.. and all the polks i have heard always seem to sound good for rock and roll music and usually seem to have a decently warm mid range. allot of other brands i have heard seem to really lack warmth.

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • havent heard much about that brand..

sometimes i wonder if i am unrealistic about what i think a speaker should sound like

this is pretty interesting, if it turn the volume on the sonos down a bit the speakers sound a little cleaner and warmer.

Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• txcoastal1
    Running external source voltage at or near peak levels will usually cause distorted sound.

The Dyn's are one of the most well rounded speakers on the market.
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    havent heard much about that brand..

sometimes i wonder if i am unrealistic about what i think a speaker should sound like

this is pretty interesting, if it turn the volume on the sonos down a bit the speakers sound a little cleaner and warmer.

Because the volume controls on those small digital devices are noisy. As far as being unrealistic....I don't think so, you like what you like. In an under 500 buck bookie though, you may be a tad unrealistic. Everything has it's limits.

In my view anyway, you can't blame the speakers for everything not sounding as good as you may like. Try and address what you think is the weakest link in your system first. Sounds to me like your ears are maturing, listening for those subtle things in music. Your system has to mature along with the ears to be satisfying in my opinion. Sometimes it just comes down to having to kiss a few frogs before you find your Prince of a system.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • arekon
    arekon Posts: 77
    i have a rather odd set up as far as the room goes but its what i have to work with. you will also see why i want to get some book shelf speakers. and the sub actually sounds better where it is than on the floor, allot of people always say it would sound better on the floor but it does not.

but this is my room in the house where i can do my own thing when i want. other people live here and they always got the TV on playing show i do not want to watch. im not really a tv person and everyone else is not really a music people.

46v6aomcllyh.jpg
    30aecw1oedt1.jpg

If you stand the towers upside down, you'll get the tweeters at ear level.

what about hanging them upside down from the ceiling?
  • dannylightning
    edited May 2017
    tonyb wrote: »

Because the volume controls on those small digital devices are noisy. As far as being unrealistic....I don't think so, you like what you like. In an under 500 buck bookie though, you may be a tad unrealistic. Everything has it's limits.

In my view anyway, you can't blame the speakers for everything not sounding as good as you may like. Try and address what you think is the weakest link in your system first. Sounds to me like your ears are maturing, listening for those subtle things in music. Your system has to mature along with the ears to be satisfying in my opinion. Sometimes it just comes down to having to kiss a few frogs before you find your Prince of a system.

i have a couple of CD's that are top notch recordings, on a couple sets of speakers i have had, listening to those recordings was kind of like wow this is absolutely amazing. i miss that kind of detail. my definitive speakers have that kind of detail but guitar with overdrive ( distortion) sounds really bad on them which ruins most rock music for me.

the current set of polk speakers there is no magic when listening to those recordings, they just sound like a slightly better recordings but nothing special. i guess that is my main gripe about these..

if i could get a tone similar to these polks but with the detail of the definatives i would be very happy.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• txcoastal1
    ^^^^^Those Dynaudio's :)

You'll thank me later

• txcoastal1 wrote: »
    ^^^^^Those Dynaudio's :)

You'll thank me later

thanks. ill have to see if i can find some to listen to in my area..
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    How about some Usher V601. Bookshlefs and front ported. I love mine.

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • tonyb

i have a couple of CD's that are top notch recordings, on a couple sets of speakers i have had, listening to those recordings was kind of like wow this is absolutely amazing. i miss that kind of detail. my definitive speakers have that kind of detail but guitar with overdrive ( distortion) sounds really bad on them which ruins most rock music for me.

the current set of polk speakers there is no magic when listening to those recordings, they just sound like a slightly better recordings but nothing special. i guess that is my main gripe about these..

if i could get a tone similar to these polks but with the detail of the definatives i would be very happy.

If you like the Polk tone, but with more detail, then the LSIM 703's may just be up your alley. Where you located btw ?

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited May 2017
    Danny, are you on the Polk mailing list? Just got an email about LSiMs 50% off through 20th of May. If you want some 703's now's the time, though I'd be curious about the NHTs, DynAudios, and Ushers mentioned by the guys up above, especially if you're truly after the best in stereo presentation for your space. Great options there.

If looking for great all around, the 703 is hard to beat, especially at this price. Bookshelf size, modest floorstander performance. 703s sound big and fat, but those other speakers the guys mentioned may offer that more balanced and refined experience you're after. For serious 2ch, I'd probably want the sub out of the mix, or something sealed in the mix. Not sure how the other speakers mentioned perform in the lower frequencies. Just had a quick look at specs and they do seem to get into the 40Hz range, which may be satisfactory for you. 703s apparently hit down into the 30s, though, which I think is why they sound bigger.

@F1nut - Jesse, what's that thing about the 703s there was a discussion over a while back? Some frequency bump or something somewhere that has them less balanced than say the 705?

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/lsim703
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb wrote: »

If you like the Polk tone, but with more detail, then the LSIM 703's may just be up your alley. Where you located btw ?

i am in the akron ohio area. we have 2 stores in the area that carry polk, best buy and HHgreg, neither of them have any thing but low end polk models. but i could order a set of the 703's from the best buy. at one time there were a few shops that carried polk but not any more.

the local stereo shops, there are only one of them in my area now and it only carry's a few brands of speakers, the brands they currently have are either very expensive or i do not care for them. they do have B&W speakers which i think sounded really good but if i remember they seemed a bit too laid back for rock and roll music.

the main worry is would my amp be ok to power the 703's if i get them. i would imagine it would.. it seem to get loud pretty fast.. at half volume its bout blows your ears out.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Danny, I don't know if you received the email, but ....

https://www.polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/lsim-series?utm_source=Polk Audio Subscribers&utm_campaign=cfc5f10965-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_05_11&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_36e5ebdf0d-cfc5f10965-175210929

No matter what speakers you choose, it would be my opinion that your working environment (room) is going to have a large affect on your listening enjoyment. it might not be a bad idea to get a set of .... oh, 703's, "tolerate" them for now, and they'll be there for you when your listening situation opens up.
    Sal Palooza
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    When you mentioned the tone controls for your receiver/amp, I'm curious as to what mode you're listening to your 2ch music with.

Do you have a "Direct" setting or some type of bypass of your tone controls?
  • dannylightning
    edited May 2017
    Danny, I don't know if you received the email, but ....

https://www.polkaudio.com/collections/home-audio/lsim-series?utm_source=Polk Audio Subscribers&utm_campaign=cfc5f10965-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2017_05_11&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_36e5ebdf0d-cfc5f10965-175210929

No matter what speakers you choose, it would be my opinion that your working environment (room) is going to have a large affect on your listening enjoyment. it might not be a bad idea to get a set of .... oh, 703's, "tolerate" them for now, and they'll be there for you when your listening situation opens up.

no.. i dont think i saw your mail.. im gonna check out that link.. thanks..

my set up looks bad but this room is actually pretty good acoustically, definitely not as good as when i had my own place and was about to set some towers on the floor but it works. i have a feeling i would be pretty happy with the 703's if the sound anything like the floor standers and i am sure the mids and highs wound sound similar
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• gmcman wrote: »
    When you mentioned the tone controls for your receiver/amp, I'm curious as to what mode you're listening to your 2ch music with.

Do you have a "Direct" setting or some type of bypass of your tone controls?

its a 2 channel integrated amp. it does have a pure direct button that does not do anything but make the tone controls stop working lol.. putting the tone control's to center and turning the pure direct on and off there is absolutely no audible difference on this amp.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• tonyb
    Yes, your amp is fine to drive the 703's. The lsim series is pretty easy to drive. With Polks half off sale going on, should be a no brainer.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • ok.. i got the 703's here and they are a very nice sounding speaker after a couple of days of having them., i think ill take some of your advice and try some of that 10 gauge furez FZ102AS speaker wire,

i have never really been able to tell a difference in speaker wire that i have used. seems like allot of people notice a nice difference with that furez wire so ill give that a shot and see if can hear any improvements, maybe i have not tried the right wire yet.

ill worry about interconnects later. i got a few sets of them to play around with for now.

not using banana plugs would probably give you the best results right, that would be one less thing in the signal carrying chain that could possibly change the sound. i can live with out the convenience of the bananas and the extra cost of buying a nice set.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    How do you like the Cambridge 651 with the 703s?
  • deronb1 wrote: »

well. i would say it sounds very clean and clear. i can pick out what type of effects were used in the studio for vocals and the guitar parts on allot of songs. overall it sounds pretty natural and balanced with nice detail. the bass is impressive, vocals and instruments sound pretty realistic. on really good recordings i kick back and close my eyes and kind of forget where i am.. i open my eyes and realize all this big rich sound is coming from a little set of speakers.

with out hearing a bunch of other amps with these speakers its hard to say if my opinion would change but it seems to be a very good combo.
    Cambridge Azur 651A
    Polk LSi M703
    Sonos Connect

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    deronb1 wrote: »

well. i would say it sounds very clean and clear. i can pick out what type of effects were used in the studio for vocals and the guitar parts on allot of songs. overall it sounds pretty natural and balanced with nice detail. the bass is impressive, vocals and instruments sound pretty realistic. on really good recordings i kick back and close my eyes and kind of forget where i am.. i open my eyes and realize all this big rich sound is coming from a little set of speakers.

with out hearing a bunch of other amps with these speakers its hard to say if my opinion would change but it seems to be a very good combo.

Thank you. Good to know. Have had 703s for about a week now with an older, high current Onkyo. Like what im hearing, but thinking Cambridge as well.