My new psw505 powered subs from polk.. whats the best setting for the frequency ??

My question is what do i need to know about these subs.. i am running 2 of them for my set up and want to know whats the best set up for small room.. what does all the stuff mean on the back!! phase and frequency !! whats the do's and don'ts and best way for me to learn set up!!! Plz and thank you

My system is
Nad 326bee preamp
Nad 275bee mono block right speaker
Nad 275bee mono block left speaker
running polk tsi500's fronts
and of course the pair of psw 505's

Comments

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,054
    Your 326 is an integrated amp. Tell us how you have the amps hooked up to it. Most would set sub at 80hz
  • NadManDaveNadManDave Posts: 32
    Yes the 326 is integrated/Pre-amp the integrated is bypassed by the removal of the U clips from "input output" in the back of the amp to make it a Pre-amp!! and using single rca jacks i have 1 rca (left) cable going to 1 275bee and the other rca (right) cable going to the other 275bee.. both amps are in bridge mode AKA Mono block only 1 speaker per amp.. the 326bee integrated amp also has 2 dedicated SUB outputs. for powered subs
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Your 326 is an integrated amp. Tell us how you have the amps hooked up to it. Most would set sub at 80hz

edited May 4
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Yes the 326 is integrated/Pre-amp the integrated is bypassed by the removal of the U clips from "input output" in the back of the amp to make it a Pre-amp!! and using single rca jacks i have 1 rca (left) cable going to 1 275bee and the other rca (right) cable going to the other 275bee.. both amps are in bridge mode AKA Mono block only 1 speaker per amp.. the 326bee integrated amp also has 2 dedicated SUB outputs. for powered subs
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 7,054
    If it were me I'd make both speakers a sub/sat set up speaker. Take the outputs from amp to sub speaker inputs then out from sub speaker outputs to speakers on both. The other way is to go from the sub outputs on the Pre/integrated. This would or should give you full range on the speakers and add sub to the mix. If you go the second route you may need to turn the sub XO all the way up. Try it both ways to see which you prefer. I do not know how the sub circuit is configured in the pre.
    ok i will need to get some more speaker wire for that i will try it thank you

• codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,132
    Everything Pittdogg said...yes.

On top of that like he said earlier as well most people put the cross over to 80hz (I put mine at 100 as my speakers cut off at 90hz). The phase is basically the direction the woofer moves (in then out vs out then in), this is mostly used in case the bass waves from your subwoofer are interfering with the frequency waves put out by your speakers. You can switch the polarity and it in theory should help if the soundwaves are interacting with each other and cancelling each other out or causing muddy noise.
    Living room

Mains: SDA 2B Studio
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved

2 Channel/Bedroom

Polk TSI 200
    Power: Yamaha Av34
    CDP: Technics SL-PD688
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Grado SR80e
    Harman Kardon CL
    Bravo V2 12AU7

Closet of Dreams:

Marantz PM235
    Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Paradigm Monitor 90
    Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
  • codycatalistcodycatalist Posts: 1,132
    Want to know the fun part?

Try it with both subs in 0 degree polarity

Switch both subs to 180 degress

Have one sub set to 0 and the other 180

See which sounds best to you which is all that matters.
    Living room

Mains: SDA 2B Studio
    Lows: Velodyne CHT12
    Power: Marantz SR7000
    Tv: Samsung UHD 55' Curved

2 Channel/Bedroom

Polk TSI 200
    Power: Yamaha Av34
    CDP: Technics SL-PD688
    TT: Pioneer PL510

Noggin Rockin'

Grado SR80e
    Harman Kardon CL
    Bravo V2 12AU7

Closet of Dreams:

Marantz PM235
    Harman Kardon AVR130
    Yamaha HTR5590
    Paradigm Monitor 90
    Polk RTA11TL
    New Large Advents 25th Anniversary Edition

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88