Tweeter problems

Options
Are you guys,
So I installed the upgraded tweeters yesterday the RD194's. I noticed out of one of them I am getting a bit of a staticky crackle. It is the most noticeable on piano which I find is always the acid test. I switched the interconnects going to the amp to see if it would switch sides but it didn't. The one that is making the noise is a bit of a tight fit so the terminal may be pushed in and touching the magnet. Would that cause an issue? Also that one measured the highest on the ohmmeter. Has anyone else had problems? Would it subside with break in or should I call and try to get an exchange?

Comments

• analogluvr
    analogluvr Posts: 72
    Options
    Supposed to start with hi you guys. Darn talk to text
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    I'd start there to see. It shouldn't be that tight to push into the magnet. Can you message some of the cabinet just enough to relieve the pressure? Small round file would work.
  • analogluvr
    Options
    Yes I may try to carve some more out of it and also maybe wrap the magnet in electrical tape. I did find another thread where a guy had the same problem and got a new Tweeter and everything was fine. I think one of these may not be up to snuff. I already called them and they agreed to replace it . Great company!
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    I agree with @pitdogg2. They should not press against anything in the cabinet. I did not notice what model speakers you put these in by the way, that might help. I had a bit of a clearance issue on one set of holes on my SDA SRS 2's but it was easy to resolve. On the RD-0194 the leads connect to plastic that mounts to the voice coil/ diaphragm (one piece) and pushing against that would not be good however I do not see why it would make the tweeter rattle. Have you checked the 4 screws on the tweeter to see if they are tight? If they are not tight that would make it rattle as it would put the voice coil out of alignment. Out of all the RD-0194 tweeters I have bought, 10 of them, I had trouble with one and Polk sent out a replacement right away. There were two in the box I received so they made damn sure there was no problem with either. Polk Audio is the best audio equipment company I have ever dealt with...
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I actually has the exact same issue as you. I started a long thread about it, what I found out to be the problem is the cut out's that out line the terminal isn't exactly the same for the 194s. A quick fix was to slightly loosen the screw or you can remove the tweeter and file the cut out a little bit larger.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • codycatalist
    Options

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • analogluvr
    Options
    I have switched the spots and the noise follows the tweeter. It is a staticky crackle that is especially evident on solo piano. I called the Canadian distributor and he already agreed to give me another at no charge. Definitely a great company! For now I subbed back in one of the SL 2000's
  • analogluvr
    Options
    What is the difference between the 194 and the 198 tweeters? Is the 198 a better Tweeter ? Am I able to use that in my SDA SRS twos?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Better tweeter no your not able to.

Last I'm aware of anyways.
  • analogluvr
    Options
    So I swapped out the tweeter and the next one was bad as well. the distributor was great and after asking a few questions to verify that it actually was the tweeter he agreed to give me another and not charge. I was a bit surprised and dismayed to get two bad ones in a row! I installed the replacement today and it works fine, thank God!
    And I must say the speakers are very very good!
  • codycatalist
    Options
    analogluvr wrote: »
    So I swapped out the tweeter and the next one was bad as well. the distributor was great and after asking a few questions to verify that it actually was the tweeter he agreed to give me another and not charge. I was a bit surprised and dismayed to get two bad ones in a row! I installed the replacement today and it works fine, thank God!
    And I must say the speakers are very very good!

Interesting. I had to go through two pairs as well. Wondering if some QC slipped through the cracks on the recent batch of RD0s.

• stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Options

Interesting. I had to go through two pairs as well. Wondering if some QC slipped through the cracks on the recent batch of RD0s.[/quote]

That is unacceptable.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    It happens, Polk makes it right, move on.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stones89
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    It happens, Polk makes it right, move on.

Well why wouldn’t they?
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    Ah wooo wooo... 36,963 vs 151...Not even a fair fight...LOl
  • codycatalist
    Options
    F1 is right it happens. Oh well at least they sent us replacements without question!

• analogluvr
    Options
    Yes I have had high end companies that basically refused to take any responsibility for their crap. I didn't get any flack from Polk about this that's for sure. But I'm glad I wasn't paying for shipping otherwise I would've been A little upset.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    Shipping. What can i say ,Here There and back here has cost myself around 120 us for 3 originally faulty rdo 194 's to Western Australia .I had tried ringing polk myself but this blokes accent was very strong , Started thinking deliverance Banjo's and other silly thoughts, in the end i just hungup
    I had to ask Trey (Vr3 mods )to became my mediator,translater intercontinental packer transport advisor CEO
  • analogluvr
    Options
    Wow! That's pretty horrible numbers! Basically I got two out of five bad Some very bad QC going on, or not.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    This was a total of 3 bad out of six! Trey actually tests them now for me before sending and i have purchased another 8 since the faulty ones. All good ,thats life
  • stones89
    Options
    Yeah, doesn't make me real excited about switching out my sl3000. They all work.
  • analogluvr
    Options
    I must say that the final result is totally worth it once I got four of them that worked right. They do sound 1000 times better
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »
    Yeah, doesn't make me real excited about switching out my sl3000. They all work.

The issue is with the 194, not the the 198 you would use.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stones89
    Options
    I thought 194's were for mine. Thanks.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    stones89 wrote: »
    I thought 194's were for mine. Thanks.

Nope yours are tl's correct.. then 198
  • stones89
    Options
    Yes, tl's. gotit.