Denon AVR-X7200WA

gwh
gwh Posts: 1,451
Whats the consensus on Denon receivers these days as far as sound & reliabilty go?
I had planed on going with an Anthem AVM 60 as an upgrade from the MRX 300 but it has not happened yet due to me not being able to convince myself the Anthem is worth the asking price and I'm getting the urge to try out these new surround formats. I don't use ARC so I would not miss it. Whatever I end up with will be used as a pre only.

I'll be up in this part of the state this weekend hitting the 100 mile garage sale and thought about checking the Denon out, seller has it priced at around half of retail.

If you have an opinion on it don't feel like you have to type out a long detailed explanation of why you love or hate it, a simple yes or no in your reply will work.

Thanks for the input!

G

https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/ele/6106075758.html
HT:
Martin Logan Motion 40
Martin Logan Motion 50XT
Emotiva Airmotiv E2
SVS SB16 Ultra
Def Tech Reference Sub
Yamaha RX-A3070

Signal Cable speaker wires & interconnects.

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    If your going to use an AVR as a pre, I probably wouldn't recommend totl of any brand. Some do offer a slightly better calibration program than a little lower levels, but usually the selling point is the amp.

Personally I'd look into a pre/pro, maybe Marantz or Yamaha. Same price range as the Denon.
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    edited May 2017
    ^^^ +1 If it's not driving any speakers, why buy an AVR? Unless it's to save money (obviously not, since that Denon ain't cheap), go for a pre.
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    If your not going separates then I can say my X4200w denon has been a pleasure to own so far. Easy set up (better than past models I've owned), updates via web, with enough power to get you to want more. The audessy room correction program seems to work very well. I am very pleased.
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    +1 with other replies, a lot of $$, half of which will go to waste not using the amp section.
    Private sale = no warranty
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    edited May 2017
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Private sale = no warranty

Agree totally
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • gumbay13
    gumbay13 Posts: 360
    edited May 2017
    Mine (Denon 4520 ) has been stellar in both SQ and reliability. Currently using it as a preamp paired with an Outlaw 5000 and it has been even more impressive.
    I love what Audyssey XT32 does to allow my speakers to sound their best in my room.
    My next move will be separates.

For any device that is going to be the heart of my system I try to make sure it has warranty of some sorts especially if i am going to be spending in the neighborhood of 1K and above.

Outlaw has a Refurb/New Spring sale going on now until 5/9

https://www.outlawaudio.com/mofcart/May2017.html

Refurb AV7702mkII/Model 7140 Sale Price $2098! (INCLUDES FREE GROUND SHIPPING*)
    Not a shabby deal for separates. This combination sells fast especially at these prices.
    AMP/Pre Pro: Outlaw 7000x, Marantz AV7703
    Speakers: Fronts:LSiM 705s/ Center: LSiM 706c / Surrounds: LSim 703s
    SUB: Rythmik LV12R x2
    Source:OPPO UDP-203