Acoustic Panel Build

2»

Comments

• machonemachone Posts: 726
    I used 1" pipe insulation to cover the bungee cords.

ahevbax55bol.jpg

2nbb14u66i7w.jpg

Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Marantz SA 8005>> Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-110 Preamp + (Musical Concepts LXII Elite Mod) >>Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony DVP-NS575P DVD Player

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,003
    Nawwww - go Industrial!

>:)
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher CP-6311, Usher Be-10, Usher T-515, Rosso Fiorentino Elba, Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra, Polk T50, Polk Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD Dueventi, MastersounD Compact 845, MastersounD Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    Found some missing bass last night.
    Return To Forever-Romantic Warrior
    In the first song "Medieval Overture" towards the end there is a organ note that drops down very low. In this room it has always been weak in the listening position. I could walk up to the front wall and it would be stronger.
    With the addition of only two bass traps the bass is much stronger in the listening position.
    I like it! :)
    Mojo Audio Joule v5>>Quantum Byte w/JRiver 21 and Fidelizer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Marantz SA 8005>> Equinox 7>>
    Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite Mod) >>Belden 5000 10 ga cables>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modified)...SDA-1A (Fully Modified with Dimensional Tweeter Delete)

I recovered the two first reflection panels with black.

• ALL212ALL212 Posts: 581
    edited May 24
    I've got a few yards of burlap purchased from ATS if anyone wants to pay shipping. Otherwise no cost to you. Came rolled up so no creases. I'll just need to figure out how to ship it. It's 56" high and yards long. I bought mostly the Natural but also some yards of Ivory.

https://www.atsacoustics.com/lightweight-burlap-fabric.html

My DIY builds in the natural.
    v5yity2kdal5.jpg

I also used this stuff on the back boards. It's a very interesting "paint".
    https://www.parts-express.com/acry-tech-acoust-x-1-gallon-absorption-coating-paintable-damping-material--260-105?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=pla

Aaron
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 7,680
    Here are some I built for LSAF. Stands are made with black pipe and base filled with lead shot.
    mm7uyb0wpi7k.jpg
    p5ebmfpn74fz.jpg
    jjxfnl006xt0.jpg
    06o6k2a8ge2c.jpg

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
    edited June 18
    I added clouds this weekend.
    Really helped focus the image.
    It just keeps getting better and better. :)

More info on the clouds.

I used hardware from HD. Dipped the hooks in black Rustoleum. The chain came black. The plastic toggles are great because they do not fall apart when the screw is removed (in this case the screw is a 10-24 J-hook).
    I mounted the frames before attaching fabric and fiberglass.

With the addition of the clouds the image feels more solid. I am noticing things like two voices where before I thought it was one voice. The same with instruments. Also there is better depth and separation between voices and instruments.

I guess now that I don't have as many sound waves bouncing around the room I can hear what is actually coming out the the speakers.

• aboroth00aboroth00 Posts: 1,014
    Very nice work y'all!
    2Ch Tube Audio Convert
  • HermitismHermitism Posts: 1,211
    machone wrote: »
    More info on the clouds. I mounted the frames before attaching fabric and fiberglass.

zta9b3a1h6js.jpg

How on Earth did you do that??? Drywall lift? I honestly can't figure out how you added the insulation and fabric once the frames were on the ceiling. I had a hard enough time doing it on the floor.

Nevertheless great job! A+
    Components - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000
    Speakers - Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Sub: HSU Research VTF-2 MK4
    Cables - Doug's Furez DCF124BW SC's | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14SE PC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI's | Monster M850SW
    Tweaks - PS Audio Power Port Classics | Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets
    Bad description on my part.
    I pre-installed the frames without fiberglass and fabric.
    I then took them down finished them and reinstalled. B)

• HermitismHermitism Posts: 1,211
    Gotcha! Makes much more sense now. I seriously thought you were some sort of spider mutant with eight appendages to be able to do that, even with a drywall lift. Great job.
    Components - Pioneer Elite SC-05 | Pioneer BDP-51FD | Monster PowerCenter HTS 5000
    Speakers - Polk: RTi8 Towers, CSi5 Center, F/Xi3 Surrounds, CSi3 Single Rear | Sub: HSU Research VTF-2 MK4
    Cables - Doug's Furez DCF124BW SC's | Pangea: AC-9SE, AC-14SE PC's | AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI's | Monster M850SW
    Tweaks - PS Audio Power Port Classics | Acoustic Treatments OC703 | Dynamat: Components, Baskets
    Thanks

I added two more 4" bass traps to the upper left hand side of the room.

ciy6bgyhvwza.jpg

They attenuated the top end too much so I ran a quick test by covering them with plastic bags to kill the top end absorption.

6scheoz2e2h5.jpg

This worked like a charm so I took them down, disassembled them and covered the outside fiberglass surface with FRK.

cbhhppv2g0pz.jpg

Reassembled, rehung and everything is good now.

I also built removable panel/screens for the hot water heater and water softener to hide the mess.

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 13,003
    Brother, your 'garage rig' is better than most people's main rig. Excellent job there. I've enjoyed following your progression.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Usher CP-6311, Usher Be-10, Usher T-515, Rosso Fiorentino Elba, Rosso Fiorentino Fiesole, Rosso Fiorentino Volterra, Polk T50, Polk Signature S60, S55, S35, S30, S20, S15
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Dayens Ampino, Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD Dueventi, MastersounD Compact 845, MastersounD Evolution 845
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, AURALiC Altair, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design Magnifico, North Star Design Supremo
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
    Thanks Skip,
    My garage rig is my only rig!
    It would not be possible without the knowlrdge and support of this forum. B)

2»