Thank goodness and all that is right with the world

Options

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,481
    Options
    The one format with zero redeeming qualities. God no....
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,454
    Options
    Yeah, my Sony VinylMan was so much more convenient for my paper route when I was 13.
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    Wait, were they gone?
    There are still boxes full of 'em in the basement... and some of them gizmos to play them upon strewn about amidst the rubble.

33608002695_701bf9259f_b.jpgDSCN5500 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    DaveHo wrote: »
    The one format with zero redeeming qualities. God no....

I dunno -- eight tracks make cassettes look pretty good.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I think I just threw up a little
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    My guess is that they have seen the "hip" factor of going back to vinyl. Thus hoping for a possible resurrection of another analog medium.....tape. The cool factor will be epic.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    My guess is that they have seen the "hip" factor of going back to vinyl. Thus hoping for a possible resurrection of another analog medium.....tape. The cool factor will be epic.

Just wait...there's still a chance that by this time next year, we will have a portable device for phonograph cylinders. It'll be the size of a shoebox but damn will you look hip!
    featured-01.jpg

Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    Options
    I've got some Slayer and Death Church cylinders for that old Edison!!!!!
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    I just cannot see this taking hold... though fully agreed, 8-track, worst medium ever.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I have seen the future:

226.jpg
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    All you old vinyl lovers are to blame for these people trying to bring cassettes back. Life is meant to be lived moving forward not backwards! :p
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 10,716
    Options
    Unless your name is Bob.
    Put the letters backwards and it still spells boB.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Unless your name is Bob.

Or if your name is "Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog", for that matter.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »
    All you old vinyl lovers are to blame for these people trying to bring cassettes back. Life is meant to be lived moving forward not backwards! :p

Not to mention some how they have to find a way to empty the warehouses of old cassettes.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    cfrizz wrote: »

lol. I disagree. I think that the Guardians of the Galaxy film, specifically the "Star-Lord" character, is responsible for the whole cassette resurgence thing.
    https://youtu.be/ZBWbA169A6s
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Unless your name is Bob.

Or if your name is "Go hang a salami, I'm a lasagna hog", for that matter.

Some on this forum might find it intriguing that you know such a palindrome. Not me. Just the norm here. Nothing to look at.

I was always fond of "A man, a plan, a canal. Panama!"
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Or, as Napoleon was reputed to say:
    Able was I e're I saw Elba

I still haven't figured out why he woulda been speaking English :)
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Options
    Was it a rat I saw?
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    The cool thing about cassettes back then was you could make your own copulation tapes and record your LP's to save them the wear and tear of dragging a sharp point through the grooves. Not to mention, you could play them in your car. With a good deck and quality tape they weren't too bad. I think I still have some sealed blank cassettes from Sony. The cases were ceramic, heavy as heck.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    edited May 2017
    Options
    A lot of my favorite record labels have been releasing cassette tapes for a while now, so obviously somebody is buying them.

I used a cassette Walkman for quite a while back in my middle school (maybe early high school) era until portable CD players with a decent enough antiskip came along that was very affordable. The 1 to 5 second antiskip wasn't good enough for walking around with.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,079
    Options
    I used to make cassettes from my LP's for my sailboat. I never thought about them being copulation tapes, but I believe they served that purpose after some of the good times popped into my mind. It was great to be "young".
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    edited May 2017
    Options
    They also played into trying before buying. Like mp3's did for me. Have a friend record an album on cassette so you could lusten to it. If i found myself listening to it weeks later it was off to buy the album.
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The cool thing about cassettes back then was you could make your own copulation tapes...

Spellcheck run amok, Freudian slip, or simply that wry ol' F1humor?
    Only the Man himself knows for sure.

:)

• Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Options
    b4hqlx7czt61.jpg
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Options
    I used to enjoy making mix tapes for my ex and sister in law. I had a decent Nakamichi Deck, Technics TT, Shure V15 Type V MR Cartridge, and always used good chrome or metal tape. Had a decent head unit in the car too. Good times
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • VSAT88
    VSAT88 Posts: 1,227
    Options
    This is the reason I still buy decent used cassette deck's to this day. They will come back and I will sell them. I lived thru all the consumer formats from 33 to .FLAC and I still like cassettes. I have cassette tapes that were recorded in the 70's that still play. I have the first CD I ever bought as well. The CD skips and you can see right thru it in many places so basically unusable. The cassettes still sound basically the same. I remember when I heard that prerecorded CD's would last forever, a lifetime ! A bold statement. Mine most certainly did not. I think if folks are honest (that were there when the came out that is) they nearly all say that it would be a great idea to have the option to buy music recorded on cassette.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Disc rot is real.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,801
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    The cool thing about cassettes back then was you could make your own copulation tapes...

Spellcheck run amok, Freudian slip, or simply that wry ol' F1humor?
    Only the Man himself knows for sure.

:)

I'll never tell.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk