Help with crossover upgrade for Polk Monitor 4A and S4 speakers

Options
For fun I want to upgrade the crossovers with preassembled Dayton crossovers. I have no experience with assembling electronic components. I have read on this forum that the crossover point for the 4A is 4500kHz. Is this correct and does anyone know the frequency responses for this tweeter and the MW6502 tweeter? Date on the woofer is 1990.

Also can anyone confirm the ohm rating of the square tweeter in the 4A? On the back of my tweeter it has the following numbers 4693 with K010B020FFM. I have seen this tweeter also referred to as RD0202-1. I have seen these tweeters on Ebay that are 4 ohm for the ones made in Japan but have seen posts on this site as stating it is 8ohm. My tweeters do not say where they were made and the manual that came with my 4As says the nominal impedence for this speaker is 6 ohm.

Also is the crossover point known for the S4?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions.
Realistic SA-1500 integrated amplifier fully restored by Chris Ready
Realistic TM-1000 Tuner
Realistic 31-2000 Equalizer restored
Cambridge Azur 540C CD player
HRT iStreamer
Polk Audio Monitor 4A ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
Polk Audio S4 ClarityCap PX by westmassguy
Polk Audio S6 ClarityCap CSA
Polk Audio Series II Monitor 5JR+ stock at the moment

Answers

• deucekazoo
    deucekazoo Posts: 146
    Options
    Just to let you know x-overs are very specific to each speaker. A lot of time goes into getting the x-over correct. Don't just waste money getting a universal one. You will not be happy with the results. If you want to have fun, rebuild the ones you have. The fun part is learning how to solder and attach the new bigger caps so everything fits. Stay with the same values of caps, resistors and reuse the coils. You will be a lot happier with the results. Just my $0.02
    Polk S10, S8, S4
    Polk RT8
    Polk Monitor 7s
    Working on getting SDAs
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,553
    Options
    deucekazoo wrote: »
    Just to let you know x-overs are very specific to each speaker. A lot of time goes into getting the x-over correct. Don't just waste money getting a universal one. You will not be happy with the results. If you want to have fun, rebuild the ones you have. The fun part is learning how to solder and attach the new bigger caps so everything fits. Stay with the same values of caps, resistors and reuse the coils. You will be a lot happier with the results. Just my $0.02

^^^^^^^^^This ^^^^^^^^^
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,684
    Options
    The x-over point on an S4 is @3kHz
    Ive upgraded a set with air core inductors and Dayton 4.7uf and 10uf 1% tolerance caps. Big improvement.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.