Yamaha Announces new Aventage RX-A 70 series (5/2/17)

I've been curious about when the next Aventage models, with the latest, greatest technology, would be released and have periodically checked the Yamaha website. Today they made the announcement.

here are the projected releases and msrp per the Yamaha website:

The new Yamaha AVENTAGE models will be available exclusively at authorized Yamaha AV dealers with the following MSRPs:

RX-A670 ($599.95; May availability)
RX-A770 ($699.95; May availability)
RX-A870 ($999.95; June availability)
RX-A1070 ($1,299.95; June availability)
RX-A2070 ($1,699.95; June availability)
RX-A3070 ($2,199.95, July availability)

The Aventage 1060 currently lists for $1,199.95 at Amazon (discounted about $100 from msrp). So, the prices are about the same.

I'm undecided if I will get the Aventage 1060 when its price drops after the arrival of the 1070s or get the 1070. I've seen the 1060 brand new at Ebay for under $1,000, but not from an authorized dealer. Having a valid warranty is important and their is a Yamaha service center near my home. Decisions, decisions.

Comments

• jeremymarcinkojeremymarcinko Posts: 2,598
    Can't go wrong with either. My old aventage 1010 in the HT sounds amazing and has been 100% trouble free. Unless there is a feature in the 1070 your wanting save a couple bills and get the 1060.
  • DonnerUndBlitzenDonnerUndBlitzen Posts: 856
    Can't go wrong with either. My old aventage 1010 in the HT sounds amazing and has been 100% trouble free. Unless there is a feature in the 1070 your wanting save a couple bills and get the 1060.

Yamaha has great brand appeal and a loyal customer base with repeat sales. I'm glad you have had a good experience and your 1010 is still rocking. These receivers are a notch above their RX-V line.

There is a bit of indecision about getting the most current or something almost the most current, and this indecision can cause indigestion.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 797
    We have 2 lines of Yamaha, the basic RX-V series, and an RX-A model.

Both work fantastically, are very reliable, and offer great sound.
    We were scared at first to try to the RX-V series, as it is the basic entry level stuff, but were shocked at how usable it is and good it sounds.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 839
    hmm so the A4L price on the XX50 will come down too :)
    mrloren wrote: »

Yeah! Just think about it for a moment: between Craig's list, Ebay, Accessories 4 less, Fry's, Audiogon, Amazon market place sellers...... America is just a crummy place to be a bargain shopper! There is next to nothing to buy and no one to buy from. Woe is me.

More often than not, I end up trying to figure out what the best choice is between several good options. If only one path was good and everything else obviously not, life would be much easier.
  • K_MK_M Posts: 797
    tonyb wrote: »
    There is a bit of indecision about getting the most current or something almost the most current, and this indecision can cause indigestion.

Why ? Even if you forked over for the latest version today, next year it will be old hat too. Having the newest, especially with receivers, is a short lived feeling.

You really want him to have indigestion for a whole year now....!
    tonyb wrote: »

Why ? Even if you forked over for the latest version today, next year it will be old hat too. Having the newest, especially with receivers, is a short lived feeling.

Hi Tonyb:

I can still use the AVR for music and movie/TV dialogue even after it has been outdated by the most recent this or that. It is a loosing battle trying to stay up to date with the latest, greatest.

This stuff is true with automobiles. One of my friends was driving a very nice 14 year old Ford Explorer that was in great condition and still had at least another 60k miles left in it. Then I mentioned program cars and how dealers buy 1 year old rentals at auction. The next time I saw him he was driving a Ford Edge with only 13k miles on it - he bought a program car - and saved a pretty penny. It only has a 4 cylinder motor, but has a turbo feature and when he punched it I got g-force sensation and was pushed back in the passenger seat. Not quite a Corvette sensation, but it did remind me of 0 to 60 is 5 seconds. I can sit on the decision fence for the next few months. It is amazing how much a car looses in value by simply driving it off the lot.
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 839
    mrloren wrote: »

Yeah! Just think about it for a moment: between Craig's list, Ebay, Accessories 4 less, Fry's, Audiogon, Amazon market place sellers...... America is just a crummy place to be a bargain shopper! There is next to nothing to buy and no one to buy from. Woe is me.

More often than not, I end up trying to figure out what the best choice is between several good options. If only one path was good and everything else obviously not, life would be much easier.

I am happy with my Marantz right now. Maybe in the Fall if I have saved enough I will add the Marantz 2 channel amp or if the RX-A2050 comes down to the $600 range it will be something to think about.

CL in San Diego sucks for audio gear. I got my Oppo from a guy up in Orange County.
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 1,777
    Looks like they added a set of balanced inputs on the 3070. First time I recall seeing that on a home theater receiver. Probably not a big deal, but could be a selling point for some.

Receivers are in a strange period now. The companies seem to feel a need to issue new models each year even if very little has changed. There could be some good deals on the current models soon but probably very little stock since Yamaha is not really a big brand in home theater. Marantz cut their pricing about in half a couple months ago to sell off their previous line which was almost identical to their current line.
    "Marantz cut their pricing about in half a couple months ago to sell off their previous line which was almost identical to their current line."

I always love it when I buy something and the next day or week it goes on sale for half price! I'm real good at doing this. It is somewhat like having the housing bubble burst and being upside down in the house for the next 8 years. Or buying for 300K and then getting a job out of state and moving and selling for 200K. I love capitalism.
  • Audioholics recently posted a preview of the new Yamaha Aventage RX-A 70 lineup of AVRs being released this coming summer and fall. The big difference between receivers like the Aventage 1060 compared to the soon to be released Aventage 1070 is the addition of Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) HDR. The Aventage 1060 only supports HDR10, from the Audioholics preview:

The biggest advancements of the RX-A 70 lineup look to be on the video side, so if you just bought a new 4K Ultra TV and want to take advantage of the forthcoming live HDR broadcast signals, the AVENTAGE lineup is worth a second look. All models of the new ADVENTAGE line will have 4K Ultra HD video support for three different high dynamic range (HDR) video profiles: baseline HDR10, Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG). Both Dolby Vision and HLG will support the widest possible contrast ratios and color gamut from, along with supporting Ultra HD Blu-ray Disc and 4K streaming video services. The two latest HDR profiles will be arriving to join the HDR10 standard through a firmware update this fall.

http://www.audioholics.com/av-receiver-reviews/aventage-rx-a-70

The other big development with the Aventage line is adding Tidal and Deezer, from the preview article:

Like previous AVENTAGE receivers, the RX-A 70 line will include a multitude of streaming content options, but in this year’s models, music lovers will be further delighted with the addition of the popular TIDAL and Deezer apps to the MusicCast streaming service library with each offering music selections of more than 40 million songs.

Comcast infinity currently has two sets of Hi Res channels and one set of standard definition. It looks like one of the two Hi Res channel sets will be used for HDR ultra hi res video.

Will Comcast Infinity support all three ultra HD formats or just the baseline HDR10? [baseline HDR10, Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG)]. There have been many AVRs sold minus Dolby Vision and HLG capability, so I suspect the support will be for HDR10. Comcast would then include the 2015 and 2016 model year AVRs in Ultra Hi Res video content. Oppo supposedly will release a firmware update this Fall supporting Dolby Vision.
  • I checked at the Yamaha website yesterday and the info I read earlier that said the Aventage 60 line (860, 1060, 2060, 3060, etc) will not support Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) appears to be wrong. They have revised their web pages. I did not check for each receiver, but the 1060 and 2060 are shown to be supporting Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG). I called their customer service and they knew only what the description at the website shows. They did not know if Dolby Vision and Hybrid Log-Gamma (HLG) must be added thru a firmware update as it shows for Tidal and Dezeer.

If their info is correct, there is not much difference between the Aventage 70 line and the current Aventage 60 line. Prices for the older model 60 line s/b about 1/3 or more less than the new model.

If you have questions about features and differences between model lines, maybe call Crutchfield and Yamaha and check at the Yamaha website.