Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    la2vegas wrote: »
    A chicken head and a strategically placed pile of salt can work wonders especially if the neighbor sees you doing some incantations over some road kill on the sidewalk. Or you could move to L.A. where tenants have so much rights that they hold landlords hostage for up to 12 months rent free. Landlords usually end up paying them to leave to cut their losses.

Scratch the second part, moving to L.A. is a fate worse than death.

Yet they keep coming. I hope that all those people who hate LA would hurry up and leave, it's a better place without them.

Furthermore, you need to check the stats on who is coming and who is going.

Sorry to hear that California wasn't up to your expectations. If you had paid attention during history class you might have discovered that it wasn't always part of the US. I'll leave it at that. :)

Yeah, a lot of it did belong to Russia at one time. Initially, it was up to my expectations, I got to see it at about its peak. I have witnessed it's rapid slid into the steaming cesspool that it is now.

Anyway, I have already set up shop in AZ. Three years and a wake-up, maybe less and I am gone!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Nah I am just doing what a lot of smart people are doing. Good luck on your cruise on the Titanic.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    Colorado for life.
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Options
    I always said if i could relive my life I'd find a way to move to Colorado Springs or somewhere close to it when I was young and find a way to make a living!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    I was born her in SoCal, Raised in SoCal and other than 3 years in the Army @ FT Devens MA I have been here. This was and still is a nice place to live. Yes a lot of people are coming here some legal some not. that's not the problem with California. I can't say what this states big problem is without getting banned.

I will retire someplace else not here cost too much.... My house is my retirement.

Yes we are overdue for a shaker. I read one reason they don't mess with the salton sea is raising it or lowering it might set the big one off. If we do get hit, oh my it will not be nice for us or the rest of the country...
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    voltz wrote: »
    I always said if i could relive my life I'd find a way to move to Colorado Springs or somewhere close to it when I was young and find a way to make a living!

I love Co Springs, always have, best friend lives there, moved out of college and never left. That's what I like about the LA area, the outdoors activity part reminds me of Colorado, warm days, cool nights, mountain hiking in the morning, beach at night... (well, maybe not that part). It's really a good quality of life, minus the expensive living, and snow!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• afterburnt
    Options
    "I used to think if I died in an evil place, then my soul wouldn't be able to make it to Heaven. But now? ****! I mean, I don't care where it goes, as long as it ain't here."
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    HHHMMMMMmmmmmm, LA California. Flew in from the East coast. Landed in LAX.

Trip was from there to San Bernadino. 45 minutes away as a crow flies (pretty much the same path we took). 5 and a half hours later....we arrive at our destination. After a long flight.

No thanks.

I did however enjoy following the radio newscast of a stolen 18 wheeler and the live chase that followed (drove right by us). Other than that? The air was sub-par quality wise. The traffic? Well, you figure the math. People were rude and I looked forward to getting back to the Carolina's.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    L.A. is like every other major city. You have your nice hoods, and slums. Nice places to eat, and dives. Bums/Homeless all over, graffiti on everything, traffic up the wazoo. Noise and air pollution, high crime rates, boat loads of illegals and high taxes.

If that's anyone's idea of a lovely place to hang your hat, have at it and don't complain. I'd personally choose another path.

The good thing about California is at least a good portion of that state is NOT like L.A.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    CA has treated me right. No complaints here. Of course, any place can be improved, but losers that can't make it will be losers no matter where they live.

Anyway, time to leave for Tahoe. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,334
    Options
    It has been many years (more like a decade ago) since that trip to San Bernadino. Apparently my memory is not serving me well.

I do remember my posterior being in pain from the long ride and traffic. That much I can verify.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I have to say I have done well here, none the less I still hate what this State has become. It was a nice place.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    If I remember correctly @afterburnt you are located in North Arizona yeah?
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited May 2017
    Options
  • codycatalist
    Options
    Ended up buying some Grado SR80e cans. I enjoy the sound of the open back design, these at least seem slightly warm. Good stereo separation. It'll do...for now.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Ended up buying some Grado SR80e cans. I enjoy the sound of the open back design, these at least seem slightly warm. Good stereo separation. It'll do...for now.

Check out Phillips Fidelio X1 or X2 if you end up getting into headphones.

• codycatalist
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »

Check out Phillips Fidelio X1 or X2 if you end up getting into headphones.

Im guessing you have experience with them @Nightfall can you describe their sound signature? I find myself liking more laid back sound.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    ^^ FWIW I have a set of the X1 ^^ I would say the sound is balanced. I've heard a few different cans, Not the real high end stuff mind you but Sennheiser HD598's, 595's, Momentums, Polk UF8000, Polk Buckles, and of course the odd Sony MDR, & AKG.

I think the Senn 598's are what I would describe as warmer honestly. I think the X1 just seems to get everything about right, nothing too much, nothing too little. Not sure how much that helps but they are just one of those phones that sound all-around great to me.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• codycatalist
    Options
    MrBuhl wrote: »
    ^^ FWIW I have a set of the X1 ^^ I would say the sound is balanced. I've heard a few different cans, Not the real high end stuff mind you but Sennheiser HD598's, 595's, Momentums, Polk UF8000, Polk Buckles, and of course the odd Sony MDR, & AKG.

I think the Senn 598's are what I would describe as warmer honestly. I think the X1 just seems to get everything about right, nothing too much, nothing too little. Not sure how much that helps but they are just one of those phones that sound all-around great to me.

That does indeed help a great deal! I take amazon reviews with a grain of salt but the ones I get here I run with. I still feel satisfied enough with the Grados that I don't need to upgrade but if I do the above mentioned cans will be on my list.

• Nightfall
    Options
    The bass is incredible for an open back. They aren't bass head headphones but a bass head wouldn't be disappointed. Very slightly elevated treble, neutral midrange, open stage for headphones anyway. I traded mine for a Denon cartridge, @dromunds has them now he can tell you what he thinks probably.

• mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Options
    I feel you on this one. Been into audio since my teen years. I lived in my fair share of apartment dwelling for the better part of 6 years. I once received a sticky note on my door asking me to turn down the music... which was ridiculous as I was out of town for 5 days.

2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• codycatalist
    Options
    When I got the complaint the sub wasn't connected. Just pure SDA sound ha!

• codycatalist
    Options
    Hi Cody:

how did things turn out with your landlord?

We ended up talking to the office and they stated no legal action or even a formal complaint they filed. Asked us to do our best to keep it down and go from there.

Bought a pair of headphones for music, set the SDAs cross over to 90hz to curb the bass a bit.

I still give nasty eyes to the neighbors when I see em.

• codycatalist
    Options
    Sounds like good news! good for you.

Maybe if you keep it down a little you'll get another 20,000 miles out of your ears before the tread and steel belts melt.

Who needs the higher end of the frequency spectrum anyways =P!