The dreaded Noise Complaint

Got a noise complaint on Saturday after moving my SDAs to the livingroom and downsize my HT to a 2.1, this was at 3pm!

Regardless of that I thought nothing of it as we are good tenants that have never been late on rent or had any prior complaints in 3 years with the same complex. My wife gets a call that we have multiple complaints and one more will get us evicted, she asks for more information on the previous complaints and the errand boy doesn't pull them up of course. We call yesterday to speak to a manager and at first they were available, after he knew we were calling about him threatening us without proof of other complaints he stated no manager was available.

Hopefully today I will be able to get in the office to get this squashed, I can't imagine they are able to evict us without written or verbal warnings which once again we have not had 1.

Blah
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Rabble-rouser. Miscreant. Scalliwag. Ne'er do well. Purveyor if hate and discontent......
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    This is similar to getting fired from a job without due process. Usually, you would start with a verbal warning, then a written warning, then probation and finally you're out the door. They went to DEFCON 5 without going thru the other readiness levels. You may eventually want to contact a lawyer that specializes in renters/evictions. Often, if an attorney writes a letter that is enough. Try first to first talk to the property managers. An eviction makes finding a new rental more difficult since there probably is a database of those that get evicted. Hopefully reason and reasonableness will prevail.

My apartment 4 plex can get very noisy - especially weekends. Other 4 plexes in my neighborhood routinely have block parties with terrible, loud sound systems and "DJs" on Sat. and Sun. Loud at mid day should not be as big a deal as 3 AM in the morning. We live in an apartment, not the library.

We are going to talk to management today as the person who told us we will get evicted is not a manager but just the person who answers the phone. Im guessing he was blowing steam out his behind so we wouldn't argue with him. Once we called to talk to a manager yesterday he tried to call us back 3 times (guessing to rectify the issue before we go up the chain) but what is done is done. I don't like my wife having to sit and stress about an eviction when we have done almost nothing wrong except this singular instance.

Seriously 3pm...I don't get it. He said his "Pictures were shaking off the wall" umm I call BS dude so I told him exactly that. Could I have been a little bit less short with the gentleman, yes. Is there a reason I didn't, yes.

Tried to tell him I have had over 6 tenants living above or around me (the complainer is on the bottom level to the right of me) and not one has complained. I have had single men and woman, older couples, full families and no one has ever had an issue. These people move in and have complained twice, maybe they need a refresher course in community living.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    This is similar to getting fired from a job without due process. Usually, you would start with a verbal warning, then a written warning, then probation and finally you're out the door. They went to DEFCON 5 without going thru the other readiness levels.

Most standard employment is done by "at will" which means you can be fired/let go/laid off without any warning (at will). You agree to it when you sign whatever documents when you start your job.

There are Unions and contract jobs, and tenured jobs, etc that stipulate a course of action before you can be fired.

But barring some specific document or specialized field, most people are "at will" employees and there is no guarantee of any kind of course of action leading up to termination. You can fight it and if you can prove discrimination, etc you can win.

So that's not really a good comparison. I'm sure when he signed his lease it outlined (in fine print) what the process is for eviction. If they haven't followed that then it's hard for them to enforce.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • codycatalist
    @heiney9 Yes the lease stated first 2 complaints are fines and 3rd is a fine plus possible eviction if the tenant doesn't rectify the issue. No fines so far, no notices on my door, no calls, no maintenance men coming over etc etc. Just trying to enjoy my piece of the pie.

I doubt noise will be an issue since my cat took my SDAs out of commission anyways.

• codycatalist
    polrbehr wrote: »
    Keep turning up the volume until you can't hear them complaining any more.

You're welcome. B)

YESSSSSS

Problem solved =D

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Buy a house then charge them with trespassing when they come over to complain...

those no trespassing signs come in handy :p
  • codycatalist
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Buy a house then charge them with trespassing when they come over to complain...

those no trespassing signs come in handy :p

One day when my credit is better =P and maybe when child support goes down.

• pitdogg2
    Understand completely
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    This is similar to getting fired from a job without due process. Usually, you would start with a verbal warning, then a written warning, then probation and finally you're out the door. They went to DEFCON 5 without going thru the other readiness levels. You may eventually want to contact a lawyer that specializes in renters/evictions. Often, if an attorney writes a letter that is enough. Try first to first talk to the property managers. An eviction makes finding a new rental more difficult since there probably is a database of those that get evicted. Hopefully reason and reasonableness will prevail.

My apartment 4 plex can get very noisy - especially weekends. Other 4 plexes in my neighborhood routinely have block parties with terrible, loud sound systems and "DJs" on Sat. and Sun. Loud at mid day should not be as big a deal as 3 AM in the morning. We live in an apartment, not the library.

We are going to talk to management today as the person who told us we will get evicted is not a manager but just the person who answers the phone. Im guessing he was blowing steam out his behind so we wouldn't argue with him. Once we called to talk to a manager yesterday he tried to call us back 3 times (guessing to rectify the issue before we go up the chain) but what is done is done. I don't like my wife having to sit and stress about an eviction when we have done almost nothing wrong except this singular instance.

Seriously 3pm...I don't get it. He said his "Pictures were shaking off the wall" umm I call BS dude so I told him exactly that. Could I have been a little bit less short with the gentleman, yes. Is there a reason I didn't, yes.

Tried to tell him I have had over 6 tenants living above or around me (the complainer is on the bottom level to the right of me) and not one has complained. I have had single men and woman, older couples, full families and no one has ever had an issue. These people move in and have complained twice, maybe they need a refresher course in community living.

One thing I hated about apartment living. People are not even adult enough to come and tell you it's too loud. Have to go crying to management like kids complaining to their parents.

I am not saying to do this but an open sardine can outside their window might raise their attention not to be jerks.

I work for an employer who hides behind "work force reduction" any day anyone can be gone and it's just WRF by!
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • codycatalist
    You're the best!

• pitdogg2
    mrloren wrote: »
    I am not saying to do this but an open sardine can outside their window might raise their attention not to be jerks.

I don't know man that is highly obvious but I had someone sprinkle Romano cheese on my carpets at one of my parties. Boy the next few days were terrible. It smelled like someone puked in every room, AND YOU DO NOT want to use the vacuum to clean the carpets it makes it WAY worse. I did find out who did it and there was some glorious retribution....

lets just leave it at that.

But i did learn a good trick so every once in a while at work I'll get a Chili mac from Steak N Shake with yep you guessed it an extra package of Romano Cheese and open it in a co-workers garbage can and by the end of the day they cannot figure out what the heck smells so terrible.

it's good sport: :p

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I'll bring my bucket truck over. Do set up outside their door and fire up The PTO at 1500 rpm. 6.7L Cummins diesel makes a lot of valve chatter for a few hours.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Time to tone it down or start kicking cans. It's a no win situation with trying to retaliate against the complainant that will only accelerate your departure in the form of a strong swift kick in your arse. It might be prudent to invest in a good set of cans.

Agree. Every time a complaint gets registered it makes management less tolerant in the future. Soon it will be one complaint and you are history. Around here there are plenty of quiet tenants to take your place. While most people like music, few people want to listen to somebody else's music. For every one complaint there are probably 100 others who are thinking of complaining.

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mrloren
    I am NOT a believer in revenge, most of the time it makes matters worse. With a new neighbor like this little winning kid a good hint is all they may need to stop complaining. Did you check to see if they had an S55 laying on it's side for a center channel?

I guess I am lucky all my neighbors are cool with my sound system.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • codycatalist
    mrloren wrote: »
    I am NOT a believer in revenge, most of the time it makes matters worse. With a new neighbor like this little winning kid a good hint is all they may need to stop complaining. Did you check to see if they had an S55 laying on it's side for a center channel?

I guess I am lucky all my neighbors are cool with my sound system.

It was bound to happen 3 years, 5 different sets of neighbors and no one complained. Right after we resign the lease here come the complainers. I'm not a firm believer in revenge either, self satisfaction is rarely worth the repercussions. Since I have set a crossover to my SDAs and let my sub handle the bass. I then proceeded to turn the gain on my sub down to 1 out of 10, just enough to hear it.

Still it would be nice to just crank them with a nice steady 40hz test track and sit back.

• gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    A friend of mine went through a divorce sold the house, he rents a duplex and last time I went over he had a sound bar hooked up, which consists of his HT and tunes all in one. I asked him where's all your gear he had a couple of systems, his reply was in storage. I guess he has had two complaint's for loud music, says its not worth getting the boot for cranking the tunes or watching a movie with a lot of LFE.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • codycatalist
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    A friend of mine went through a divorce sold the house, he rents a duplex and last time I went over he had a sound bar hooked up, which consists of his HT and tunes all in one. I asked him where's all your gear he had a couple of systems, his reply was in storage. I guess he has had two complaint's for loud music, says its not worth getting the boot for cranking the tunes or watching a movie with a lot of LFE.

Ain't that the truth.

• codycatalist
    Time to tone it down or start kicking cans. It's a no win situation with trying to retaliate against the complainant that will only accelerate your departure in the form of a strong swift kick in your arse. It might be prudent to invest in a good set of cans.

Got recommendations for a nice set that isn't over $200? I have some Harman Kardon CLs which sound nice. Maybe just a good dac would work for my current cans.

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230

If they want piece and quiet, they should not have moved 6" away from 4 or more neighbors.

My advice would be to go down and meet them. Introduce yourself, invite them up to see what you have, let them listen. Offer them a beer or a bottle of wine. Invite them to go to the pool with you. Try to spark up a friendship with a mutually beneficial realization that noises travel through walls and that you will be respectful of "reasonable" noises that emanate from your apartment, if they would do the same for you.

If they are unreasonable and react in a childish and non-amicable manner, then by all means invite every neighborhood kid over to play over the bedroom they sleep in, starting at 10:00pm. Walk with a heavy foot, heel first as much as possible and drop big, heavy boxes "accidentally", of course, all of the time. Play your music at whatever level you desire during "normal" noise times and complain at ANY violation the community rules have.....and then let them know that this will be your plan.

Two can play this game. I have always had neighbors when I lived in apartment complexes that I had agreements with. Never had a problem other than them coming up or down, asking me to turn it up because they could not hear what I was playing good enough....if one would even consider that a problem.

Basically, try to make the best out of a bad situation and if a true and genuine effort at this fails? Let them know it's war.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Man, really sorry to hear. What a depressing lifestyle change to have imposed. I would have a hard time dealing with this. Not that I listen at ear splitting or foundation shaking levels, but to be told I'm not allowed to if I want to, and to have such limits imposed. Feels violating. Feels like prison.
    I disabled signatures.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    A chicken head and a strategically placed pile of salt can work wonders especially if the neighbor sees you doing some incantations over some road kill on the sidewalk. Or you could move to L.A. where tenants have so much rights that they hold landlords hostage for up to 12 months rent free. Landlords usually end up paying them to leave to cut their losses.

Scratch the second part, moving to L.A. is a fate worse than death.

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    I got Dwight Yoakam cranked up and if I play it loud enough, long enough your overly sensitive neighbor is gonna complain. Misery deserves company - we can both get evicted together. If the spl does not get to your neighbor, maybe the country music will. Some people just don't dig "Guitars, Cadillacs, and Hillbilly Music."

I love that song!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    afterburnt wrote: »

Actually, it's pretty great, you might be surprised, I know I have been.
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• mrloren
    edited May 2017
    A chicken head and a strategically placed pile of salt can work wonders especially if the neighbor sees you doing some incantations over some road kill on the sidewalk. Or you could move to L.A. where tenants have so much rights that they hold landlords hostage for up to 12 months rent free. Landlords usually end up paying them to leave to cut their losses.

Yet they keep coming. I hope that all those people who hate LA would hurry up and leave, it's a better place without them.

Same with San Diego... I'm all for Spanos not to be welcomed in LA so the Chargers can return HOME!
  • afterburnt
    MrBuhl wrote: »

Actually, it's pretty great, you might be surprised, I know I have been.

maybe it's a matter of perspective, I have been here since 1974

Yet they keep coming. I hope that all those people who hate LA would hurry up and leave, it's a better place without them.

I am getting out as fast as I can, it's all yours. Well, actually I Have not lived in L.A. since 1992 none the less beyond it's natural beauty all of Califonia bites.
  • afterburnt

Furthermore, you need to check the stats on who is coming and who is going.
  • mrloren
    I'm all for you going to talk to the new neighbor. Might be worth it. At least you will find out if they are just a crybaby.

We have lived in our house for 17 years with no noise complaints. Our neighbor has parties till 1 am with a band about 3 times a year. Nobody complains at all. I guess because we all go over and get a belly full of tacos and beer.