Speaker brands - sweet spots

Options
Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
A current discussion concerns DCM Timeframe TF600 being a sweet spot in that line. Monitor 7's are generally considered sweet spots in the old Monitor line. RT25's and RT800's are another pair of Polk speakers that are widely touted as some of the best of their lines. JBL HPM-100's also come to mind.

How about other brands and lines within those brands that are considered the sweet spot?

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,523
    Options
    Wilson Sasha 2
    Zellaton Stage
    Focal Sopra 2
    BW 803D3
    Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Martin Logan ESL11A
    Tad Evo 1
    Rockport Avior
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Wilson Sasha 2
    Zellaton Stage
    Focal Sopra 2
    BW 803D3
    Sonus Faber Olympica 3
    Martin Logan ESL11A
    Tad Evo 1
    Rockport Avior

That WE can afford, Joey. B)
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Options
    This will be an interesting thread! Looking forward to these observations!
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,045
    Options
    A/D/S L520 are extremely enjoyable.
  • Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,045
    Options
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    AR-3A were always highly thought of, but for something easier to drive, I thought AR-4ax's sounded great with my little 35wpc integrated.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    How about Pioneer, Kenwood, Wharfdale, Paradigm, KLH, EPI, Cerwin Vega, Klipsch, Advent, NHT, Boston, Dahlquist, Realistic, Marantz, White Van :), etc.?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,070
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Sweet spots I don't know about but (and FWIW).

I like the KLH 5.
    I like the Klipsch Chorus II (the K-horn is all right, as well, and the Cornwall was OK... if you've never heard any Altecs).
    I like the Boston Acoustics A-70.
    I like the Realistic Electrostat 2A.

I have a pair of Pioneer HPM-1100; they're OK, but generally the Pioneer loudspeakers were pretty dreadful (unless one counts TAD).

Not much of a fan of any of the other brands listed above based on what I've heard.

• Jimbo18
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Sweet spots I don't know about but (and FWIW).

I like the KLH 5.
    I like the Klipsch Chorus II (the K-horn is all right, as well, and the Cornwall was OK... if you've never heard any Altecs).
    I like the Boston Acoustics A-70.
    I like the Realistic Electrostat 2A.

I have a pair of Pioneer HPM-1100; they're OK, but generally the Pioneer loudspeakers were pretty dreadful (unless one counts TAD).

Not much of a fan of any of the other brands listed above based on what I've heard.

One of the very first sets of speakers I bought (used) were KLH 5's. I don't think I was feeding them enough power because they always sounded very laid back to me. I never heard the KLH 6's but have read that they were highly thought of.
  • Msabot1
    Msabot1 Posts: 2,098
    Options
    JBL 120Ti's...in good shape,they can still hold their own with the best of em...