would any of you do this trade

Options
Most of you know I have fully modded '87 SDA 2Bs. A friend who likes them presented me w/ a trade of sorts. He has a pristine set of DCM TF 600s the absolute sweet spot of the series as I already have TF 350s and wanting to sell them. This would not be a one for one trade but I'd be getting cash also w/ the deal. Now w/ my set up I know I don't have the 3' clearance needed for the effect so I don't even know what they should sound like in a perfect real world set up. I do know what TF 600s sound like and are amazing. To add to this over the year many here have ditched their SDAs for various reasons and moved on. I know this is a biased crowd , but think it through and would you do this trade ? Only in the talking stages and nothing firm yet so I'm asking all the forums what they think. If agree or disagree just don't say do it or don't tell me why.
2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc

Comments

• littlewoodboats
    Options
    For me it would depend on what is meant by pristine. Reading a few DCM threads these can require extensive restoration and repair. Pulling the drivers can be a nightmare.

If the 600's have had the work required to bring them up to date and you want them make the deal. Time Frames would not be my first choice of the DCM line but to each their own.
  • leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    I've actually seen and heard these we are talking about . No cat scratch fever on the socks and all the drivers and tweeters are butyl surrounds. My 2Bs also the grill covers and bezels are perfect w/ no snags,scratches pulls or tears. VR-3 did the x-overs and then Dave much later on did the terminal cups w/ new binders, neutrik sockets and Speak-On connectors. Way to involved to why I went w/ 2 different competent guys.
    IF not up to snuff then I wouldn't touch a sock style speaker ever to do work on.Yes I think the drivers are secured w/ black goo of death but all is working on this set.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Lew, I've never heard Timeframe speakers so have nothing to offer here except perhaps a bit of assessment process. I get what you're saying about concern for not having the space/setup for optimal use of the 2Bs. You sure do have a lot of work in them, though. Not like you could replace them easily.

I see the TF's are pretty big. Any chance of getting them in-room for a week or so to test out with your gear and space? Really the only way you can know for sure. See how much of a bump they offer over the ones you already have?

I tend to get attached to the gear I've worked to acquire and make my own, so, personally, I wouldn't want to let go of a speaker as sweet as a modded 2B unless I was sure the next thing was a better fit, even if I wasn't getting the most of the SDA effect. Side note: of course, this mentality is how you end up with rooms full of gear you're not using. There is a certain beauty to consolidation and simplification...
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    Personally (and FWIW) I'd hold out for timewindows as opposed to the timeframes -- but maybe that's just me.

I am still quite enamored of the original series timewindows, which are very simple, yet effective, loudspeakers. I have a really ugly but very functional pair upstairs, in fact. Keep meaning to rehab them, I do.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    you must have one huge gear to-do list, Doc.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Most of you know I have fully modded '87 SDA 2Bs. A friend who likes them presented me w/ a trade of sorts. He has a pristine set of DCM TF 600s the absolute sweet spot of the series as I already have TF 350s and wanting to sell them. This would not be a one for one trade but I'd be getting cash also w/ the deal. Now w/ my set up I know I don't have the 3' clearance needed for the effect so I don't even know what they should sound like in a perfect real world set up. I do know what TF 600s sound like and are amazing. To add to this over the year many here have ditched their SDAs for various reasons and moved on. I know this is a biased crowd , but think it through and would you do this trade ? Only in the talking stages and nothing firm yet so I'm asking all the forums what they think. If agree or disagree just don't say do it or don't tell me why.

Go for what YOU like, not what WE like. That said, ask if you can set them up in your place to see how they sound. Different rooms will have a different effect on the sound you hear. If you like it, go ahead and trade, if not...stay put.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Yes I sank a boat load into the 2Bs but like I said it's not a straight up trade. There is cash for me also to bring it close to what's in them. For the most part it was sweat equity for the mechanical mods and the x-overs were sent out as were the terminal cups to do the Neutrik thing. The day I heard the TF 600s I did knida fall in love w/ them. Most of all your guys other options means I have to sell the 2Bs on the open market to make room for what ever else I'd be looking for and they are not easy to move and I'd be taking too big of a hit. Again just the thinking stage and I'm really happy so far w/ the responses NOT being biased towards the 2Bs.
    My real other choices if came up Time Window 3s, Vandersteen 2ce/ci, or Ohm /Walsh 2xo

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    you must have one huge gear to-do list, Doc.

-- and very little in the way of motivation nor discipline ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I've had TF600s for over ten years and they sound good for what they are. As been stated, try them in your room first, if possible.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    If the value of the 600's plus cash totals close to what you have in the 2B's, it doesn't sound like a bad deal to me. If you hang on to the Polks and try to sell them on Craig's, eBay, or where-ever down the road, you'll never get close to what you have in them.
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    That's exactly the answer I was both looking for as an opinion and my own thinking. I once tried to total all materials spent and it was close to $400 smackers and for a $50 buy to start that's a boat load of cash not even counting the sweat equity I put into them which was great therapy and I can't charge for that since it's not my occupation. Again very early and I' airing out the 2Bs a lot lately and they sound great but not even close to mint. major problem was the side fabrics were falling away and since I had no long pipe clamps or strap type type clams and no weights so I put in mini head carpet type tacks to hold them after applying Liquid Nails. I'd say looks wise 7/10 just for that sonically an easy 10.

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    I also have too much cash in my Polks and know I'm going to lose my butt when I try to get rid of them. I'd love it if some one made me a legit offer like this. I'd jump on it!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Also, if you really miss them, there are more SDA-2's available pretty much all the time. Personally I'd have to find 1C's or better instead of more 2's but that's just me.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited May 2017
    Options
    That's exactly the answer I was both looking for as an opinion and my own thinking. I once tried to total all materials spent and it was close to $400 smackers and for a $50 buy to start that's a boat load of cash not even counting the sweat equity I put into them which was great therapy and I can't charge for that since it's not my occupation. Again very early and I' airing out the 2Bs a lot lately and they sound great but not even close to mint. major problem was the side fabrics were falling away and since I had no long pipe clamps or strap type type clams and no weights so I put in mini head carpet type tacks to hold them after applying Liquid Nails. I'd say looks wise 7/10 just for that sonically an easy 10.

Lew, you didn't have any books, piles of magazines, cooking pots you could fill with water, etc. to weigh down one side at a time? There's a million things one could use. Heck, you could have slept on one side at a time.

Personally, I think your nuts for thinking about selling your 2B's, what a great speaker.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Personally, I think your nuts for thinking about selling your 2B's, what a great speaker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKbwR7WXN4
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,075
    Options
    DSkip wrote: »
    There are certain pieces I don't want to part with that I worked hard to get. It's not so much which is better, but if I handle the sentimental loss. I've moved many pieces that I had no attachment to, but none of my sentimental pieces have moved even though I've listed them. I don't bump them for good reason.

Just something to chew on given the situation.

I fell into this trap early last year. I found a pair of Klipsch original Hersey speakers at Goodwill for $29. They were almost perfect. I had never owned Klipsch speakers, but these two were sweet.

An acquaintance who runs a record and repair shop wanted them because they fit under one of his repair stations. I traded them for a new Ortofon 2M Blue Phono Cartridge for my Pioneer PL-570 turntable.

I have never put the cartridge on the turntable. If I did, I would have to admit that I was not happy making the trade decision.

Oh, leftwinger57 I have SDA 2B's and I would have the most difficult time trading them for anything.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • leftwinger57
    Options
    Sh$t,I hate to admit but Jesse is right. I have already started to pull the brads out and so far no indentations. I still have DCM TF 350s which are wonderful and I don't really think after some real hard listening this would ever happen. The 2Bs positioning while not perfect I do get that SDA array. Of course they sound so different than my Rectilinear Low Boy III or the TF 350s. All different sounding speakers w/ the 2Bs ruling the roost. If I did sell the 350s which there does not seem to be a large demand I'll live w/ the now very pared down to 3 sets of speakers. Keep those hand slaps and opinions coming ....Lew

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    edited May 2017
    Options
    3 sets of speakers is nothing. Last time I counted I had around 45 pairs here. Or maybe that makes me the psychopath :#
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • good_apollo
    Options
    ive never heard the 600's, but I picked up a set of the tf 400 about 6 months ago, was actually just buying a sub and they were sitting in the same garage and the guy said if I loaded them, I could have them for free. I took them figuring they didn't wok as they were pretty filthy. took them home, cleaned them up and they worked great. much better sound than I anticipated. I assume the 600's sound even better, but I cant imagine them sounding better than the sda's I have a stock set of sda's I just picked up so im not really biased, its my first set, but they are miles a part in the sound. again, I cant comment on the 600's, just my experience with stock 400, and sock sda2b