Pros and cons of multiple subwoofers

2»

Comments

• marcpamjocemarcpamjoce Registered User Posts: 44
    I run those in my bedroom.

"Speculating"
    Dedicated Theater Room: 7.2
    SI 2.35 5-Series Pure Gray CinemaScope 133"; Epson 6040UB
    RTIA9 Polk, CSIA6 Polk, FXIA6 Polk / 2017 Dual JTR Cap 1400 V2 Black Oak Finish
    Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu Ray
    Panamax M5400-PM
    Emotiva XMC1, Emotiva 3 channel amp Gen 3, Emotiva 4 channel amp Gen 3
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 4,031
    Well, I guess svs pb12plus/2 would suffice for watching cartoons and such, but I'd recommend quad Funk Audio 21.0L's at a minimum if one is truly interested in an adequate HT experience.

Now 4x) 21.0 would be insane. Are you running those quads or are you speculating? You would need alot of sealed subs to dictate the output of lets say a JTR 4000 or the new PSA V3601, or heck even the new 18" Rythmik. Sealed subs are not any good for HT applications, IMHO. Anywhere around the port tune would spank the sealed subs and in order to introduce sealed subs into a Home Theater, you would NEED room gain to compensate. I have heard both applications and sealed subs don't cut it unless you are a 2 channel audiophile.

I know quite a few folks who would disagree with you on that sentiment. I know you are expressing your opinion and I won't begrudge you of that at all but there is a reason Jeff (Permanian of JTR fame) still sells both sealed and ported subs.
    Sure, the 4000ULF has massive amounts of output. It was literally making me physically nauseous sitting at less than a meter from it.
    But the caveat here is different strokes for different folks.

The KC theater crawl in February (see AVSForum) had some good examples of both sealed and ported and even a couple of folder horns. Many folks' favorite theater of the entire crawl was 8 sealed 18s.

Arguably one of the best theaters on AVSForum is The Savoy. David uses 2 JTR S2s (sealed) and 4 18in sealed MBMs.

Anyway, you may prefer ported subs but that doesn't mean it is the best or sealed is the worst.
    Like I said...different strokes for different folks.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
    Silverline Sonatina MkI, LSi15, LSi7, LSiC, LSiFX, LS/FX, DSW MP2000
  • mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,329
    edited May 13
    I used two SB ultras For theater use and they were potent little monsters, they had this slam you in the chest feeling, and had gobs of output. Yes my PB's dig deeper and have more output, but man those little sealed svs ultras kicked some serious a$$ in my basement, enough to get complaints from the neighbor 2 houses over. This was on a cement slab!

A friend of mine is a huge DIYer, he used 4 sealed 21 inch B&C subs in his room. 2 up front, 2 firing into the back of the couch. Holy sh$t is it amazing.
    Post edited by mikeyb128 on
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP03, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii , Eastern Electric minimax phono pre, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries mini, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,145
    Not being a bass-hole, I do not even use my sub (Polk LSiW) anymore in the HT. The Aerial Acoustics 7T in the front, PSB Synchrony One Center, and PSB Synchrony One in the rear have more than enough bass for movies. Freaking Interstellar pops the dedicated 20 amp breaker for the HT from the bass in the opening scene.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 976
    edited May 20
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The Aerial Acoustics 7T in the front, PSB Synchrony One Center, and PSB Synchrony One in the rear have more than enough bass for movies. Freaking Interstellar pops the dedicated 20 amp breaker for the HT from the bass in the opening scene.
    You need another (or 2) dedicated 20 A feed(s). I "upgraded" at my new place.

Tony

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro
    Samsung BDP, Charter HD Rcvr, Xbox 360, Dennon LDP, Phillips CD chgr

Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside; CC outside
    BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside & out
    8 ga Powerline - LR woofers, inside & out

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 each tower's woofers has its own Rotel 98X amp, M & T has its own P'sound HCA-1000
    CC: Rotel RB985 -> tri-amped CSi A6
    Audio Pro SWs: front - B1.39: rear - Evidence
    Surrounds: Hafler XL280 -> RTi A3*
    Power Conditioning & Distribution:
    3 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 4 Furman Miniport 20s
    *Bi-amped, Summer, 2017 I hope
    I hafta moving the last of the crap from my old place to storage, Goodwill, or wherever. [then] finish connecting/powering my surrounds.

I'm considering using my Audio Pro* sub as a dedicated rear channel sub, just for fun. W/surrounds set to Large as it* digs quite well into the high 20s. Maybe doesn't compare to some subs but should do well for the rear.

Tony
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro

LR: tri-amped RTi A7 each tower's woofers has its own Rotel 98X amp, M & T has its own P'sound HCA-1000
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    I'm considering using my Audio Pro* Evidence** sub (8", f3, 27hz) as a dedicated rear channel sub, just for fun. W/surrounds set to Large, should be interesting.
    Just picked up a second Evidence** - one for each surround channel. One, as above, WAS interesting. Two? Can't wait till Sunday after church.

Tony
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro

• Absolute_ZeroAbsolute_Zero Posts: 67
    Using the 'Golden Ratio' for sub placement, my Emotiva DC-1 has all outputs active. I feed a MiniDSP that does all the correction that the dual subs didn't account for. My delay lines are setup, house curve setup along with a flat response profile.

I don't think there is really any con to multiple subs other than additional footprint being taken up.
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 14,455
    I don't think there is really any con to multiple subs other than additional footprint being taken up.

The only real downfall is the potential extra time needed to get them to constructively align.....

Its taken me a bit to get to where I feel they are complimenting each other and work well in my room....

But the extra time spent and the result are WELL WORTH IT, so dont get me wrong...

I'm a HUGE PROPONENT of AS MANY SUBS as you can get into your room as extra overhead is ALWAYS a good thing, it means you need less power, have less THD....

Advice is free, the Flea Market is earned - F1Nut

Lessons cost money, good ones cost LOTS - Tony Beets

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)

My system makes me happy and changes too often for me to care to update a list..... you guys are good at spending my money!
    edited July 9
    The two Surround subs are just 12.5" cubed - easy to place.
    I'm a HUGE PROPONENT of AS MANY SUBS as you can get into your room as extra overhead is ALWAYS a good thing, it means you need less power, have less THD....
    I agree - the Starfish effect. Choose cafefully, though. Quality over quantity.

In my case, the front sub does the CC's heavy lifting & LFE duties only. To set the Surrounds to Large I must set the LR* to Large.
    *Good to the low 30s

I pray the 976 allows independent setting of Large or Small as I choose. Of course if I happen across another B1.39 or two more Evidence subs, well...

I'll cross that bridge when I get there. Tony
    Outlaw Audio 975 Pre/Pro

• Absolute_ZeroAbsolute_Zero Posts: 67
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    The two Surround subs are just 12.5" cubed -

The smallest dimension on my subs are 24".
2»