Pros and cons of multiple subwoofers

2»

Comments

• marcpamjocemarcpamjoce Registered User Posts: 41
    I run those in my bedroom.

"Speculating"
  • ZLTFULZLTFUL Posts: 3,956
    Well, I guess svs pb12plus/2 would suffice for watching cartoons and such, but I'd recommend quad Funk Audio 21.0L's at a minimum if one is truly interested in an adequate HT experience.

Now 4x) 21.0 would be insane. Are you running those quads or are you speculating? You would need alot of sealed subs to dictate the output of lets say a JTR 4000 or the new PSA V3601, or heck even the new 18" Rythmik. Sealed subs are not any good for HT applications, IMHO. Anywhere around the port tune would spank the sealed subs and in order to introduce sealed subs into a Home Theater, you would NEED room gain to compensate. I have heard both applications and sealed subs don't cut it unless you are a 2 channel audiophile.

I know quite a few folks who would disagree with you on that sentiment. I know you are expressing your opinion and I won't begrudge you of that at all but there is a reason Jeff (Permanian of JTR fame) still sells both sealed and ported subs.
    Sure, the 4000ULF has massive amounts of output. It was literally making me physically nauseous sitting at less than a meter from it.
    But the caveat here is different strokes for different folks.

The KC theater crawl in February (see AVSForum) had some good examples of both sealed and ported and even a couple of folder horns. Many folks' favorite theater of the entire crawl was 8 sealed 18s.

Arguably one of the best theaters on AVSForum is The Savoy. David uses 2 JTR S2s (sealed) and 4 18in sealed MBMs.

Anyway, you may prefer ported subs but that doesn't mean it is the best or sealed is the worst.
    Like I said...different strokes for different folks.

• mikeyb128mikeyb128 Posts: 2,194
    edited May 13
    I used two SB ultras For theater use and they were potent little monsters, they had this slam you in the chest feeling, and had gobs of output. Yes my PB's dig deeper and have more output, but man those little sealed svs ultras kicked some serious a$$ in my basement, enough to get complaints from the neighbor 2 houses over. This was on a cement slab!

A friend of mine is a huge DIYer, he used 4 sealed 21 inch B&C subs in his room. 2 up front, 2 firing into the back of the couch. Holy sh$t is it amazing.
    Post edited by mikeyb128 on
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 8,967
    Not being a bass-hole, I do not even use my sub (Polk LSiW) anymore in the HT. The Aerial Acoustics 7T in the front, PSB Synchrony One Center, and PSB Synchrony One in the rear have more than enough bass for movies. Freaking Interstellar pops the dedicated 20 amp breaker for the HT from the bass in the opening scene.
  • gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 957
    edited May 20
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The Aerial Acoustics 7T in the front, PSB Synchrony One Center, and PSB Synchrony One in the rear have more than enough bass for movies. Freaking Interstellar pops the dedicated 20 amp breaker for the HT from the bass in the opening scene.
    You need another (or 2) dedicated 20 A feed(s). I "upgraded" at my new place.

Tony

• gp4jesusgp4jesus Posts: 957
    I hafta moving the last of the crap from my old place to storage, Goodwill, or wherever. [then] finish connecting/powering my surrounds.

I'm considering using my Audio Pro* sub as a dedicated rear channel sub, just for fun. W/surrounds set to Large as it* digs quite well into the high 20s. Maybe doesn't compare to some subs but should do well for the rear.

Tony
2»