Monitor 5tl Rebuild/Crossovers

Options
[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited April 2017 in Vintage Speakers
About two months ago I picked up a set of Monitor 5's with their original stands for $40. I wanted to overhaul these and attempt to max them out. Here's what I've come up with so far.
I decided that I wanted to go point to point with my crossovers. So I mimicked what alot of others have done and double deckered it. I used some crossover grid plates from PartsExpress and machined them into circles so they​ could still fit in the original hole.8d9trbdiixfd.jpg
I had come across some 1/8 stainless circles in the laser drop bin at work and machined a bolt hole pattern as well as mounting points for the binding posts and the supports for the nylon uprights. okwrcvi3txd1.jpg
So after about a week of reengineering these things I finally ended up with this.7i7flsfksvjb.jpg
f9tib5iojaba.jpg
kkerxxywjaaa.jpg
I didn't want any reach around wiring, so I made sure that the grid plates had a decent size hole in the center to accommodate for all the wiring.
I had originally planned on making some stainless spacers. But ultimately decided to use 1/4-20 nylon all thread with nylon spacers. I figured there would be a far less chance of any conductivity.
The only thing that's left is the melamine veneers. I decided to go with black, I think that'll compliment the red grill cloth nicely. h1wxsj8xfenk.jpg
pie07az8d432.jpg
Any suggestions on upgrades before I put these up for sale?
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• Orangeman
    Orangeman Posts: 56
    Options
    Very nice job !
    I have monitor 5's and might at some point attempt a xover mod.
    Can you please list all the xover parts you used by brand, value and vendor both for the 198 tl mod and the xover parts for just a 194 tweeter drop in ?
    For now I'm just going to drop in 194 tweeters.
    After installing the 194 tweeters,if I want, can you get by by just replacing the two OEM caps with sonicaps and that's all ? I don't want to put a lot of money into them. They're not my main system speakers.
    How do your *new* monitor 5's sound compaired to stock ?
    I have no sugestions for upgrades other then wiring the new xover for bi-wiring / bi-amping !
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,578
    Options
    Well i really like the XO work. Sadly I'm not a fan of the shouting red cloth.
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Orangeman wrote: »
    Very nice job !
    I have monitor 5's and might at some point attempt a xover mod.
    Can you please list all the xover parts you used by brand, value and vendor both for the 198 tl mod and the xover parts for just a 194 tweeter drop in ?
    For now I'm just going to drop in 194 tweeters.
    After installing the 194 tweeters,if I want, can you get by by just replacing the two OEM caps with sonicaps and that's all ? I don't want to put a lot of money into them. They're not my main system speakers.
    How do your *new* monitor 5's sound compaired to stock ?
    I have no sugestions for upgrades other then wiring the new xover for bi-wiring / bi-amping !

Gracias! They sound great I'm totally impressed with these little guys. Well if you're going to replace the caps you might as well go all the way and replace the resistors and inductor. Wouldn't really cost a whole lot more.
    Im going to do what Larry did with his CRS+s and put the black melamine wrap on them. It might be considered heresy by some but I know I'll like the look.
    I honestly think might hold on to these, the resale value isn't going to be much...so I might as well. Considering the amount of work I've put into these.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,081
    Options
    ER308L wrote: »
    I honestly think might hold on to these, the resale value isn't going to be much...so I might as well. Considering the amount of work I've put into these.

You are correct about the resale plus they sound fantastic when all the upgrades are done. Break 'em in and keep them.

H9

"Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,907
    Options
    I can't wait till you have these done in black..
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited May 2017
    Options
    One of my favourite older Polks.
    We have a pair and love them.

Great work, looks fantastic.

You asked for ideas on upgrades, not sure, but those long metal bolts, may interfere with the coils...http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2017
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    You asked for ideas on upgrades, not sure, but those long metal bolts, may interfere with the coils...http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

Thanks!
    I'll eventually take those and cut them down at work. Yep I bookmarked that link. Interesting information.