Hearing is believing!!!

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    I would just use the Furez and terminate with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QRQYSO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17IVE6SUAZA2P

Might be good to use the same wire as is running to the speaker. Just makes me err I only ordered enough for my speakers and didn't think of jumpers.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    mrloren wrote: »
    I would just use the Furez and terminate with these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019QRQYSO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17IVE6SUAZA2P

Might be good to use the same wire as is running to the speaker. Just makes me err I only ordered enough for my speakers and didn't think of jumpers.

Can one simply use a short piece of bare wire as a jumper or are spades required?

Yes you can use bare wire but it is suggested not to.

Bare wire will be exposed, copper corrodes fairly easy. I use to use only bare wire for my connections till I pulled one out of the post one day and the wire was green. It was the monster cable I use to have. A friend said to use banana plugs. Put the plug on get the screws set and use heat shrink to cover it. When I pulled the GLS plugs off my Furez it still looked new after 2 years.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    Is it better to solder connectors to cables or use one of the many screw-clamp type connectors. I would think a good solder job would be the best but don't see as many solder-only type plugs or spade connectors for audio cables.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Is it better to solder connectors to cables or use one of the many screw-clamp type connectors. I would think a good solder job would be the best but don't see as many solder-only type plugs or spade connectors for audio cables.

I've done it both ways, i like to use the screw down type for the convenience of being able to easily switch out if needed. If you heat shrink the connector and cable after it helps to keep exposure to to the atmosphere at a bare minimum. My method is to use deoxit gold on the bare wire before i stuff the absolute most wire possible into the connector. I've had the worst luck on the standard BFA type of connector. They had in my experience either folded up from the weight of the wire or lost spring tension after awhile. I have preferred the better spring type bananas. Douglas connection carries some excellent Furez BFA type that have a polymer type of insert that both helps the spring pressure and bending problems. I have not used but he and I talked at length once about them at one time. There is both screw lock and solder type on his site.
  • mrloren
    I never had a problem with BFA plugs. I have the cheap brass want-a-be gold easton on my bedroom HT with Monoprice 12AWG.

I just made some Monoprice 12AWG with easton BFA for a friend. The center on his receiver is push pin, I was wondering why I saved all of those monster crimp pins

ylvusvqcyvk3.jpg

• Gatecrasher
    I always thought that a mixture of both would be the best where you crimp the connector to the wire and then solder it afterwards for a permanent electro-mechanical connection.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I never had a problem with BFA plugs. I have the cheap brass want-a-be gold easton on my bedroom HT with Monoprice 12AWG.

I just made some Monoprice 12AWG with easton BFA for a friend. The center on his receiver is push pin, I was wondering why I saved all of those monster crimp pins

ylvusvqcyvk3.jpg

That cable is going to turn green.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229

Want to know a little secret? I NEVER use solder for speaker cable connectors. Some manufacturers use it, but when I did some research testing soldered vs non soldered connections, found the non soldered to have better clarity all across the sound spectrum. Also found tighter bass with non soldered. So, when we make speaker cables and bi-wire jumpers no solder is used.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Solder is tin and lead. No wonder I like Jimmy Page.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    I solder all my connections. If it's good enough for MIT, Shunyata and PS Audio it's good enough for me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited April 2017
    I always thought that a mixture of both would be the best where you crimp the connector to the wire and then solder it afterwards for a permanent electro-mechanical connection.

There's no need to solder after a good crimp. In most instances you will not get much solder to flow into the area IME. Getting a connector hot enough to flow the solder into a tight crimp will more than likely make the temper it had nonexistent. Once again IMHO
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    Want to know a little secret? I NEVER use solder for speaker cable connectors. Some manufacturers use it, but when I did some research testing soldered vs non soldered connections, found the non soldered to have better clarity all across the sound spectrum. Also found tighter bass with non soldered. So, when we make speaker cables and bi-wire jumpers no solder is used.

Solder is mostly tin, and tin is far less conductive than silver or copper. Large solder connections are far more electrically noisy than a high pressure mechanical connection, which is why AudioQuest uses screw down connections on their speaker cable terminations and why PS Audio uses pressure welding on their power cable terminations.

On printed circuit boards, the traces are copper, but the leads of most components are steel, and tin is a little more conductive than steel. However, in the case of component leads and component solder joints, the lower conductivity of tin and steel is mitigated by the relatively short paths and very small amounts of solder used. The best solders add a small amount of silver to improve conductivity...and sound.

Metal%20Conductivity%20Relative%20To%20Silver_zpsewcwbjsp.jpg

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Gatecrasher
    edited April 2017
    If you read my post I stated that I crimp the connector first (which makes the electrical contact) and then solder it afterwards to add mechanical strength (and corrosion resistance) so I would think in this situation the electrical properties of solder would be irrelevant since the actual electrical contact is being made by the connector - not by solder alone.
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    They trick to crimps is to have the right crimp tool. Not "a" crimp tool. The right crimp tool.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • Gatecrasher
    One of my other hobbies is restoring early solid-state pinball machines (1976-1985). The first thing I always do right off the bat whenever I buy a 40 year old pinball machine is to replace every terminal in the Molex connectors. These are tiny .100 & .156 style terminals and there are over 100 per machine to do. They take a special Molex crimper.

After you do a few thousand, you get the hang of it pretty-good. You have to strip the correct amount of insulation from each wire and then crimp them properly. It's back-breaking work bent-over inside the machine doing it. I usually do about 20 at a time and then take a break. After a beer or two I go back and do another batch. Eventually I get them all done.

This is the most-important thing you need to do to get these machines up and running reliably again. After 40 years the terminals are always tarnished and/or bent to the point they no longer make good contact with the pins on the circuit boards.
  • mrloren
    F1nut wrote: »

ylvusvqcyvk3.jpg

That cable is going to turn green.

yes it will sooner or later, I did the ones in my bedroom HT the same way over 2 years ago. still no green yet... and I said yet.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited April 2017
    Yep2 wrote: »

That is cool , but you might consider point to point wiring with barrier strips.
    Eliminate the Molex.

Naw that ain't how it works in pinball. It just isn't done that way. You need the connectors to be able to replace the boards easily. It would make it almost impossible to diagnose problems or repair individual circuit boards if you had to un-solder everything every time you have an issue. It would be like hard-wiring all the boards in your PC. It would work great until you have a problem. Then you'd be screwed.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited April 2017
    You don't test Molex connectors. They are there to allow the user to quickly and easily remove the various boards. Plug and play.
  • Gatecrasher
    edited April 2017

Metal%20Conductivity%20Relative%20To%20Silver_zpsewcwbjsp.jpg

That chart on conductivity is interesting. I always had the impression that gold was a better conductor than silver but never really looked it up.

Back in the early 1980's I worked for AMP Inc. in the prototype model shop manufacturing electrical connectors. We would insert-mold the connectors in a plastic injection molding process and then form the lugs and terminate them.

I vividly remember a cool project we had back then. We were manufacturing prototype IC chip carriers and sockets. The chip carriers were square with legs on all four sides and they would snap into a square female socket that was to be soldered onto a circuit board. We would mold the chip carriers and then they would go to a secondary operation where these women would manually wire-bond a silicon chip in the center of them using microscopes.

The chips were wire-bonded to the carriers using .002" diameter wire made from 99.99% pure Russian gold. As you can imagine, it was a painstakingly-slow manual operation but it was in the developmental prototype stage. The legs of the chip carriers and the sockets were also plated with 99.99% pure Russian gold. This was at a high-security facility in Harrisburg, PA.

At the time none of us working on this project really knew exactly what these four-sided chip carriers and sockets were to be used for? To us back then it was just another high-tech connector project. For all we knew they could have been used in the space shuttle or nuclear missiles.

Prior to this project the majority of the chip carriers we were making were the rectangular "DIP" style with legs on two sides.

So can anyone guess what the eventual use for these odd-looking four-sided components would be?

The first one to guess the right answer really knows their sheet. lol