Fake Amazon Reviews

msg
msg Posts: 9,309
edited April 2017 in The Clubhouse
Sometime a while back, I heard about vendors paying shopping review services to post positive reviews on their products on sites like Amazon, for example. I'm sure I just thought in passing, hmmt, that's pretty sheisty, and then just never thought much on it.

Well, I've been trying to find a cheap hand held steamer (not stReamer) to use in cleaning records, and usually hit Amazon for this sort of thing. These things seem to be unusually difficult to find these days, by the way? So I narrowed it down to a few different units the other day and added them to a list. I was looking through them today to try to get one on order to have in time for the weekend. I start going through these reviews as I usually do, trying to get a sense for quality/longevity/value, and it occurs to me that there seem to be an awful lot of people leaving 5-star, one-liner reviews... Like it's a space limited Ebay feedback or something. Thennn I remembered hearing about fake reviews and it hits me - that's exactly what I was looking at on these stupid steamers! Reading the 1-star contributions, a lot of the people were saying the same thing - I must just have gotten a bad one, because I read all the reviews and everyone else's [product] seems to be working fine. or something to that effect.

This is some dirty business.

I've also recently noticed that vendors are contacting me through my Amazon account asking me to leave feedback. On one hand, I do like to contribute when I've had a good experience and feeling inspired to share it, but I'll do that if I feel like it. I don't particularly want to be hounded about it. Now though, with all these fake reviews, I can't tell if the vendors' requests are legit, or just another one of these review services' tactics to try to pump up the number of reviews. I've had personal correspondence with some of these vendors in the past, who've seemed to be the owners themselves, mostly on the smaller brand, mom and pop shop type items - LightDims, for example - but not sure what to make of the more recent ones, because they're all starting to sound similar, and it seems to be increasing in frequency.

Anyone else noticed this?
Makes it kind of difficult to make an informed purchase decision. Bit of a gamble there in the end on some of this stuff. Pretty bad when you realize you've come to expect that a lot of what you'll buy these days is poorly made and just not going to last anymore.

So there's your first hint - short, one liner, 5-start reviews.
Another hint, apparently, is if the reviewer has an unusually high number of reviews. But who's going to investigate that much. Not me.
I disabled signatures.

Comments

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Like everything else, you have to do your own research, and shop carefully. I don't buy anything used from someone that just launched. Not from Amazon, or Audiogon. They have to have several 5 star reviews before I will even look at them.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    DonnerUndBlitzen I wouldn't be surprised if an algorithm is writing a lot of those reviews. I just look at the bad reviews to try and see what the possible issues are.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I also pay attention to the negative reviews more than the positive these days. One thing I wondered about for a while was how something as mundane as a spool of "milspec" parachute cord could get multiple thousands of reviews with something like 95 percent of them five stars and none negative. Granted, it's pretty hard to screw up selling something like that. Then I bought some and found the vendor hounded me for a month by offering an inducement in exchange for a five star review. I didn't bother to leave a review.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    ^^^^ :o:D:D:D:D:'(:D:D:D:D
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,927
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I also pay attention to the negative reviews more than the positive these days. One thing I wondered about for a while was how something as mundane as a spool of "milspec" parachute cord could get multiple thousands of reviews with something like 95 percent of them five stars and none negative. Granted, it's pretty hard to screw up selling something like that. Then I bought some and found the vendor hounded me for a month by offering an inducement in exchange for a five star review. I didn't bother to leave a review.

I dunno -- I think I'd be postin' a bad review if I used some parachute cord for my parachute and it turned out to be second-rate, you know?

:*
  • msg
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Hello all, this thread cracks me up because the only reviews I pay serious attention too? Are ones like the Banana slicer.
    Here's a good example.....this is a review of Hanes Men's boxer briefs...
    I have been wearing these underwear for quite some time now...
    Tom, I was laughing reading that review. Just had to mention it specifically; the LOL flag just doesn't do justice to my reaction :D
    I disabled signatures.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I dunno -- I think I'd be postin' a bad review if I used some parachute cord for my parachute and it turned out to be second-rate, you know?

Serves me right for looking to see if Amazon sells parachutes too:

https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Fetish-Parachute-Ball-Stretcher/dp/B01JZ3P55W/ref=sr_1_56_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1493303165&sr=8-56&keywords=parachute

Thankfully that product has no reviews yet.

• msg
    edited April 2017
    ^^^LOLOL
    It is only just now that I take a closer look at the text of the link you posted, lol

ah, jeez. don't scroll down. or you'll see the "introductory kit" offer for 48 bucks.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited April 2017
    Emlyn wrote: »
    the vendor hounded me for a month by offering an inducement in exchange for a five star review. I didn't bother to leave a review.

I have had so many do that on Amazon it has almost turned me off from ordering anything that comes through Amazon. The other day I ordered something off eBay read the description very carefully nowhere did it say anything about Amazon, low and behold it came through Amazon as the shipping box said Amazon all over it. Two days later I have the seller hounding me through both eBay and Amazon to leave feedback. I told the seller to quit emailing me because if I left feedback they would not like the feedback I left. The seller used a TRUE (trademarked) item description for the item I wanted but in turn sent a Chinese knock off. When pressed about it the seller stated that both come from the same factory in China one with a trademarked name the other which I received could be sold for cheaper since it was not trademarked. I stated that if he felt they were of the same quality then both would sell just as good so why use the trademarked name in your sale?

As you can see the seller has updated the listing to include the generic brand name(KitchWhiz) but still uses the trademarked brand name in the header.
    At the bottom under the feedback banner he now list the actual size (its smaller) and the actual brand name again.
    He returned my money and told me to keep the item after our discussion.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262935979725?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Slimy folks seller ....why eBay allows this kind of stuff more and more often is beyond me.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Some of the best reviews I have seen online were for super high end AQ HDMI cables... check them out.
  • txcoastal1
    edited April 2017
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    Some of the best reviews I have seen online were for super high end AQ HDMI cables... check them out.

https://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-Diamond-6-56-Braided-Cable/product-reviews/B003CT2A2M/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_hist_1?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&reviewerType=avp_only_reviews

Top critical review
    See all 60 critical reviews›
    984 people found this helpful
    2.0 out of 5 starsGood cable, terrible instructions
    ByPatrick E. Hansenon January 13, 2013
    I love this cable. Crystal clear audio and video. My only problem was that the instruction manual was very vague and misguiding. Long story short, I got it stuck in my urethra. :D:D:D
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    I literally started laughing out loud reading these in the waiting area of the GT pool waiting for my kids.... good stuff.
  • txcoastal1
    Ken S would have banned half the reviewers :)

Just joshin' on ya' Ken :):p;)

• simm
    simm Posts: 562
    I read somewhere that the 3rd party vendors have financial issues with Amazon if they don't get feedback. I can't remember if it their payment is delayed but something along those lines.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    Hello all,
    This thread cracks me up because the only reviews I pay serious attention too? Are ones like the Banana slicer.
    Caveat Emptor.

Ahhh, the Banana Slicer. Fond memories of those reviews, made for some fine reading
    :)
    Best Buy had/has some reviews of Audioquest cables that were mighty fine, too. Okay, they were snarky as heck, but well written and darn funny.

I read/research a lot before I purchase off of either Ebay or Amazon. Out of 100 reviews, a product will typically get 3 or 4 1-Star reviews. Usually those are from lunkheads with insanely unreasonable expectations. "I bought this ring compressor but my wife's meatloaf still tastes bad !". Well ... huh ?
    But sometimes those reviews will tell the tale. "This product has a great price but look at the label. It's sweetened with arsenic/strychnine ..".

With Amazon, even filtering to "Verified Purchases Only" will still leave you with some useless reviews.
    If a product has 100 reviews and 95+ are 5-Star then look for the "This is an honest review that I received compensation for".
    I've noticed that a lot of "Vine' reviewers are paid shills.

The "Questions/Answers" on Amazon are a pretty good source of info, too. You can quite often see a useful Q/A like "This product is good, but it is the same as XYZ that is gold plated and sells for 1/2 as much".

And, if for no other reason, you may come across a Question that makes you wonder about the future of the human race. RE: a stuffed animal plushie. "Please tell me that this isn't made from the skin of real animals !". At that point, it's perfectly reasonable to unleash a torrent of SNARK. B)

Sal Palooza
  • msg
    I literally started laughing out loud reading these in the waiting area of the GT pool waiting for my kids.... good stuff.
    x3g6r4c7nfdo.png
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    LOLOL, bones!
    I disabled signatures.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Don't any of you dare look at the reviews for Fiber One bars....

Don't do it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Hands down, this is one of the greatest set of product reviews EVER!

The product is a 5lb bag of Haribo Gummy Bears sold on Amazon. The reviews are well worth reading and downright hilarious. Apparently one of the ingredients in the gummy bears, when too much is ingested, can cause some VERY unpleasant intestinal problems.

From one of the reviews...

"The cramping started about an hour later, and soon enough I was as bloated as a balloon in Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. When the rumbling started I sprinted down the hallway and made it to the bathroom just in time for the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse to stampede from my backside, laying waste to my home's septic system AND my will to live. After three hours of a pelvis-shaking Gummy Bear assault, I was spongy and weak, surprised that I had any bones left. I cursed Haribo with the little strength I could muster."

Enjoy...

https://buzzfeed.com/michaelrusch/haribo-gummy-bear-reviews-on-amazon-are-the-most-insane-thin?utm_term=.qbBl5n3Ze#.bf6Rv8k12

I'm in tears....
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,199
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Don't any of you dare look at the reviews for Fiber One bars....

Don't do it.

Tom

Well that's just great. I woke up to answer a msg from a friend at work, got side tracked afterwards, and now am going to be up until the sun comes up. You peoples are .... Evil !
    .... but in a good way.
    Sal Palooza