Another Doug accolade

Options
Jimbo18
Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
edited April 2017 in The Clubhouse
End of last week, I contacted Doug about wanting to try some better wire but that I can't really afford to put much into it. And that with my very modest setup, I was afraid that it wouldn't make much difference.

He immediately offered to lend me some used wire he has around, just let him know what length I need. Doug has never dealt with me before and didn't hesitate to make that offer.

I decided I would just buy some of his 10ga Furez wire unterminated, and I mentioned that the Monitor 5jr+ speakers I own, have spring clips. He told me that the 10ga might not fit and offered to terminate two ends of them with Vampire pins.

Just installed the pins, and they fit perfectly. And so far the new wires sound great. More clarity. They need a lot of breaking in, but so far, I think it was a very good, very modestly priced, upgrade.

Thanks, Doug for the help and extremely fast shipping.
2epqmxde2iv7.jpg
4rgei88nm525.jpg

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Nice, I like the 10awg Furez wire.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    Options
    Lookin' good Jim! Congrats, and not surprisingly, very cool of Doug.

Take a good look around and take some deep breaths while you're still topside, because...

This is you
    ogm0nyelj823.gif

This is us
    b9n0202k1qa0.gif
    I disabled signatures.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    ^^^^Post of the year, Scott!!!
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words Jim :) Those Vampire Wire gold plated copper pin 1 connectors really help with those spring type speaker connectors.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    I need to get me some of those Vampire connectors! My amplifier has the spring clip (Ew) and my 10g has some serious issues trying to fit so I put them aside for the time being. Thanks for opening my eyes to these connections!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    I need to get me some of those Vampire connectors! My amplifier has the spring clip (Ew) and my 10g has some serious issues trying to fit so I put them aside for the time being. Thanks for opening my eyes to these connections!

They fit perfectly in the spring clips. I briefly wondered if the 10ga would be an issue but fortunately Doug knew they were necessary and suggested it.
  • msg
    Options
    I need to get some of these janks, too. I'd like to have a set of "legacy" cables that I can use with old receivers and stuff. Pins on both ends would still work just fine on most speakers, too, I think?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    I need to get some of these janks, too. I'd like to have a set of "legacy" cables that I can use with old receivers and stuff. Pins on both ends would still work just fine on most speakers, too, I think?

Seems like they would fit in 5 way binding posts just fine. Just have to insert them through the hole in the base and tighten down the screw like you would on bare wire. Not ideal, probably, though. They work best for spring clips whether they are on the speaker or on the receiver.
  • msg
    Options
    Are there notches in these pins, Jim? so that the springclips sort of hold them in place?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Jimbo18
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Are there notches in these pins, Jim? so that the springclips sort of hold them in place?

No, no notches. The ones I have seen on other pins, were so that you coulld break part of the pin off if it was too long. Which means, they are more suseptible to breaking from the weight of the wire.

You can pull these out with enough force. Maybe a takes a little less force than pulling a nanner out. Partly depends on how strong the springs are, I guess.
  • msg
    Options
    oh, I didn't know that.
    I disabled signatures.
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    Options
    Vampire Wire used to make pin connectors that had the notches you were talking about, but discontinued them. They were made of brass and gold plated. The Pin 1 is made of gold plated copper, a much better metal for sound reproduction. Yes, they can be used in a 5 way binding post that has the hole in the shaft. Compared to a lot of other connectors the Vampire Pin 1 is very inexpensive, only $11.95 for 4 pair.
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com