Who here has an outdoor movie setup?

Options
DaveHo
DaveHo Posts: 3,480
For this summer, our church is looking to put together an outdoor movie rig for the youth group & neighborhood kids. From what I've been told an inflatable screen is the desired display surface, 12ft diagonal IIRC. Not sure if it's been purchased yet or not. I've been tasked with getting pricing info for a projector. A quick Amazon search gives me many low cost choices, < $200, that are frequently bought for this purpose. Can anyone offer some input on what they have or what kind of picture quality I can expect? Obviously, ultimate picture quality is not required. Personally, I think a cheap projector & a big screen will probably look terrible, but I've never had a projector, so what do I know.

Thanks.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The projector I use is the Benq 1080 model. Go on sale some times for $550 - 600, if they still sell that model. I have never used the inflatable screens but people up here in MN. Rent them on CL. I had a 120" screen that bungeeed to a frame and base that can apart for storage. Lots of work I thought every time I wanted to watch some movies on the weekend. Plus tipping when the wind picks up. Sold it .I have a three foot overhang on the back of the house that I have a 12 foot wide screen permenantly mounted out of the weather and I spray painted the metal case the color of my trim on the house. When I go out to watch movies I just pull screen down and unfold a folding leg table and bring the PS3 and projector out and the lawn chairs and cooler and my family have fun. We do this almost every Friday and Saturday night that weather permits and we are in town. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • recoveryone
    recoveryone Posts: 885
    Options
    http://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/175382/outdoor-projector-setup-info#latest

I have to differ on PQ and SQ. I took the approach as I would with my indoor setups.
    Family Room HT 7.2/i]:Vizio Oled55h1 Pioneer Elite SC-LX502 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Eversolo DMP A6 Panamax M5300-EXSpeakers Fronts Fluance XF8L Center Polk Audio S35 Side Surrounds Optimus LS30's Rear Surrounds Optimus LS30's Subs SVS PB4000 x2 Living room 2ch: Crown Xli 1500 amp Teac EQ MKII FX Audio X6 Mk II DAC Squeezebox Touch Fluance Signature Tower Speakers Panamax M5100-EXOffice media room:Vizio M50Q6 50" Pioneer Elite VSX LX103 Squeezebox Touch Polkaudio R50 Towers Polkaudio CS 10 Panamax M4300 Monoprice 12" subMaster bedroom:Vizio M55Q7 Pioneer Elite VSX LX302 Pioneer Elite BDP 85FD Squeezebox Touch Polk audio RTi 6 fronts, Rears Dayton B652 Polk Audio CS10 center Monoprice 12" sub Panamax M5300-EX
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    Dave,

We use an old projector I picked up from Penn State University's surplus store on campus. They often 'retire' fairly nice stuff and sell it dirt cheap. I believe the PJ I got was about 10 years old, but retailed for close to $10k. It is a good one that was likely used in one of their conference facilities (I'll check the brand/model, later, but I think it's a Mitsubishi). The lamp only had around 750 hours on it and it's only 720p, but the picture is fantastic. They just had their auction, and had I known you were looking and if you wanted, I could have picked up one of these for $250 for you:

https://epson.com/For-Work/Projectors/Large-Venue/PowerLite-Pro-G5750WU-WUXGA-3LCD-Projector-with-Standard-Lens/p/V11H345020

Thankfully, I was able to repurpose a lot of things I already had so the cost for the initial setup was minimal (I had the amp, Oppo, speakers, and paid $75 for the PJ I got). It's a pretty decent setup for a backyard though!

The link Ron (txcoastal1) posted above will give you a better idea of what we did last summer. We plan to keep the tradition going this summer as well with hopefully a few more movie nights than last year. Definitely a fun time.

Best of luck,
    -Al
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    The PJ I got at PSU surplus is a Hitachi CP-X505.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,480
    Options
    Thanks for the info everybody.