Sda Srs 2 placement question

Options
2»

Comments

• leftwinger57
    leftwinger57 Posts: 2,917
    Options
    Guys I've been here for over ten years and still don't get how one gets better bass closer to the wall from a non rear firing ported speaker which obviously bounces sound waves off the wall. 2Bs are a sealed back cabinet w/ the obvious exception of the terminal cup. Right now my 2Bs are about 14" off front wall to rear of speakers and I have to say my Rectilinear Low Boys w 12' Jensen woofer kills them in the bass department. My 2Bs are spiked and if consensus says must be closer just explain if not to technical terms.
    2chl- Adcom GFA- 555-Onkyo P-3150v pre/amp- JVC-QL-A200 tt- Denon 1940 ci cdp- Adcom GFS-6 -Modded '87 SDA 2Bs - Dynamat Ext.- BH-5- X-Overs VR-3, RDO-194 tweeters, Larry's Rings, Speakon/Neutrik I/C- Cherry stain tops Advent Maestros,Ohm model E

H/T- Toshiba au40" flat- Yamaha RX- V665 avr- YSD-11 Dock- I-Pod- Klipsch #400HD Speaker set-

Bdrm- Nikko 6065 receiver- JBL -G-200s--Pioneer 305 headphones--Sony CE375-5 disc
  • analogluvr
    analogluvr Posts: 72
    Options
    Even if your speaker is not rear ported you get boundary reinforcement effect.
  • try1256
    try1256 Posts: 26
    Options
    Guys I've been here for over ten years and still don't get how one gets better bass closer to the wall from a non rear firing ported speaker which obviously bounces sound waves off the wall. 2Bs are a sealed back cabinet w/ the obvious exception of the terminal cup. Right now my 2Bs are about 14" off front wall to rear of speakers and I have to say my Rectilinear Low Boys w 12' Jensen woofer kills them in the bass department. My 2Bs are spiked and if consensus says must be closer just explain if not to technical terms.

I had my 2a's then my 2b's about 18" from the wall. They sounded good but not overpowering in the bass register. While looking for some different info, I found a post regarding distance from the front wall. I moved them to 7" from the wall and as stated elswhere, bass kicked in. I also found that at that distance, moving the speakers forward or back as little as an inch has a significant effect on bass response. When I installed the black hole 5 in the 2b's, the bass got much tighter and the notes are better defined. The soundstage also got wider and contrary to conventional wisdom, deeper as well. I can't explain the science but the result speaks for itself. Give it a try.
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    Options

http://www.prosoundtraining.com/site/synaudcon-library/how-boundaries-affect-loudspeakers/
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    edited May 2017
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    You cannot use the AI-1/Dreadnought with blade/blade SDA speakers because they are wired differently.

This^^^^^^^
    Blade blade interconnect uses both blades for sda effect each blade goes back through the crossover. Pin blade only used the pin for sda effect. The blade on p/b was for support mostly and goes direct to ground.

Even six inches off the wall you will get huge sound stage well behind the speakers at times it's unreal on some recordings. You'll swear there is another six feet behind the wall. Experiment you'll be glad you did and toss out all that regular speaker for placement for SDA's
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,475
    Options
    I moved the 2.3TL's to 6.5" off the wall and did not like the results. A very slight increase of deep bass but with a decrease in imaging. After one night I moved them back to 7" and all is good. :)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Yes sir, that half inch can make or break'em.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk