2.3tl mod - no turning back now!

2»

Comments

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Nice!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • RDO's and spikes would be first on my next to do list.
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Yes I agree, however, never been a fan of any speaker spiked on hardwood floors. Have tried several speakers and it seems to harden up the sound.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    Crossovers are completed and will ship tomorrow.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,548
    Crossovers are completed and will ship tomorrow.

You're a gem John very nice of you to do for this Polkie.
  • stones89
    I know! The best...
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • stones89
    Look at this fine work from John!!!xgfaabznjaol.jpg
  • nooshinjohn
    Glad they got there ok... I was worried about the large inductors on the bottom.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • stones89
    John challenged me to the crossover upgrade and now I know why. He was right! He built these for me just to support a fellow Polkie and audiophile. Incredibly generous gesture that I will never forget. And the workmanship is top notch!

Initial reaction is Wow, a significant improvement in all areas. One of the most notable differences is how much louder the dimensional MW's play. I played my hifi news test record to make sure everything was in phase and rewired correctly and the channel track is a great way to test the dimensional woofers. At least 3 times louder than they were.

Deeper, blacker background, smoother, more articulate, more clarity, deeper bass and still very musical!

I have listened to 2 albums that are my references and can positively say with no burn in these speakers have improved a ton. I will spend some time with them and get some hours on them and report back.
  • stones89
    John, they arrived in perfect shape - thanks to your great packing.
  • nooshinjohn
    I still have the old boards here... should I scrap them or send them out next week?

• stones89
    Just scrap them....thanks
  • drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    B) Good on ya John!
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • nooshinjohn
    stones89 wrote: »
    Just scrap them....thanks

Told ya so! B)

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Ok so I'm a noob here, but not in the world of speakers... Stones, in your pic of the power grabbed magnets, I noted that there is none at the frame to magnet seam. That point is usually where the failure occurs, not between the pole piece and magnet ring as shown in the pic. Now granted, I have see the pole plate shift and pinch the coil, but in my experience, it's rare. Also I should mention that the above failures were witnessed in the pro audio world, not Hi-Fi.
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,888
    Super cool of you John...
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    edited May 2017
    FestYboy wrote: »
    Ok so I'm a noob here, but not in the world of speakers... Stones, in your pic of the power grabbed magnets, I noted that there is none at the frame to magnet seam. That point is usually where the failure occurs, not between the pole piece and magnet ring as shown in the pic. Now granted, I have see the pole plate shift and pinch the coil, but in my experience, it's rare. Also I should mention that the above failures were witnessed in the pro audio world, not Hi-Fi.

The adhesive for these drivers should be applied around the plates at the top and bottom of the magnet. None needs to be applied between the frame and the bottom plate. That said, I don't see any adhesive around the bottom plate and magnet of stones89's drivers, so he should address that.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    F1nut, what about the stories I hear of ppl transporting their speakers only to find that one of the motors has fallen off the frame?
  • F1nut
    These don't fall off the frame.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stones89
    I did put glue on both sides of the magnet just not as much on the bottom so it isn't as visible but I feel it is secure.
  • FestYboy
    F1nut wrote: »
    These don't fall off the frame.

Not to sound rude, but do you care to elaborate? Production revision, only specific model drivers do it? I've admittedly been bitten by the bug, so I'm out for any and all information I can get my hands on.
  • F1nut
    edited May 2017
    All the MWxxxx drivers are the same basic build. The magnet is sandwiched between the plates. If the magnet and top plate come off because the original glue let go the bottom plate always stays attached to the basket. I've never seen or heard otherwise.

President of Club Polk

• FestYboy
    I see. That's good to know. Unfortunately, that's not how the lower cones in my Celestions became PRs...
    dhxy6cj2q77s.jpg
    And yes they are cheap as hell Legacy Kevlar cone car subs replacing the original drivers. I came about the enclosures when I was much younger and the 10 drivers were missing, so I threw in what I had... Not actually bad, but not great.

End of Thread Jack...