Vintage Polk SDA speakers compared/contrasted with Tekton Design Double Impact speakers

Options
I've never heard either Polk SDA nor the Tekton speakers. But after seeing many pictures of the SDAs, I stumbled across Tekton Design Double Impact speakers a few months ago and was immediately reminded of vintage SDAs.

The Double Impacts are 11 driver speakers that include two 10 inch woofers, two 6 inch midrange drivers and 7 ring radiator tweeters.

With the ring radiator tweeters, they almost look like the offspring Polk SDAs and LSIMs (I know, sacrilege!). The Double Impacts retail for $3,000 for two including shipping. They are 4.5 feet tall and weigh 106 lbs.

Tekton is an American made and designed internet direct speaker company.

They have other multi driver speakers not as grandiose as the Double Impacts. Many of their speakers are rated as very efficient, easier to drive 8 Ohm speakers. The Double Impacts are 4 Ohm.

I'm curious if any SDA owners have owned or heard the Double Impacts and if their multi driver array has a similar sound. What are your general impressions of Tekton Design speakers?

Best Answers

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Answer ✓
    Options
    The Tektons use a "traditional" crossover. Not a crossover that incorporates the interaural crosstalk reduction of the SDAs.

Having heard several Tektons and 3 different models of SDAs so far, they are without any doubt a completely different sound/signature.

As for Tekton in general, they favor pro drivers which tend to be highly efficient and very dynamic but lack in the smoothness and detail areas.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Braddles63
    Braddles63 Posts: 184
    edited April 2017 Answer ✓
    Options
    I have owned a set of Tekton Lore speakers. When set up pointing straight ahead they can through a sound stage that would challenge the SDA effect with some recordings.
    I agree they are a completely different sound. Tekton are very lively and dynamic. Great detail and vocals. The Polks are more laidback and musical and not as in your face as the Tektons can be.
    A friend of mine recently bought a pair of the DI. They are a more even sounding speaker than the lores. Especially in the top end. Great bass definition and with the 2 x 6.5's better midrange than the Lores did. Did lack a bit of top end sparkle which amazed me since it has 7 tweeters but very easy to listen too. He only has them for a week when I listened to them so maybe some more hours on them will see some changes.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Answer ✓
    Options
    a priori -- 11 drivers sounds like a disaster waiting to happen, sonically.

It seems odd to me that Tekton has produced such a monstrosity -- their stock in trade has long been simple (e.g., two-way) loudspeakers with high sensitivity and/or easy impedance curves. Did they throw their past out the window?

mini-loreblack_1_orig.jpg

as opposed to

doubleimpactsoftgloss_1_orig.jpg

Just... eww.
    Our revolutionary U.S. patent #9247339 (issued January 26th, 2016) allows us to literally align the moving mass of speaker cones to the harmonic spectra of the musical instruments being played. This means that, in theory, we’ve now made every other high fidelity loudspeaker on earth obsolete in one fell swoop! Again, I believe I can make a strong case for claiming that every other high fidelity loudspeaker is now obsolete or (for models that do try to mitigate moving mass) at least subtly obsolete. I’m quite confident in stating that we’re now producing the most accurate and best sounding loudspeakers ever built – period!

all righty then.

Answers

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Skip, is VMPS still in business ? Talk about monstrosities.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Do they deliver them in a white van?
  • afishkind
    afishkind Posts: 15
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I own a pair of SDA 2Bs and a pair of Tekton Double Impacts.

They are certainly different. The Tektons will make you feel like you're tripping and in the Fillmore at a Dead show. Sometimes this is what you are looking for ... reviews are correct in that bass is punchy and present ... first time I haven’t needed a sub. Male and Female vocals are exquisite and thrilling ... thought people were corny when they said “air” before but you can hear the whole studio ... gasps ... plucks ... breathing ... sighing ... Soundstage is wide ... not as wide as SDAs ... I feel much more engaged with the music. Imaging is startling. Two downsides ... garbage in sounds terrible ... they don’t rock out at well as they jazz out.

Sometimes ... you don't want the in your face qualities of the Tektons. The SDAs are smoother and deeper ... and less fatiguing overall than the Tektons ( I find all speakers fatiguing in some way or another). The bass is is less punchy but I don't always need slamming bass. Rock and roll is superior on the SDAs which I find surprising. Hope that helps.

w7a6msz4arxa.jpg