It's time...maybe

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
Looking for some suggestions/advice for a topic most older members can relate to....hearing aids.

After spending the last few decades in the construction business, it's become obvious it's taking it's toll. People always ask me, why didn't you wear hearing protection ? My type of business required you to work in close proximity to heavy machinery, traffic, jack hammers, if you can't hear the warnings, or a fellow worker over your shoulder, your life is at risk. Given the choice of which to put at risk, your hearing or your life....I still believe I made the right choice.

Having experienced some slow loss of hearing over the years, like conversations in a crowded place, across a room, people in the back seat of the car, having to turn the TV volume up for dialogue, reality sets in. Funny though, with music....I have zero problems. Maybe because I'm more attentive to it. So went to get the old ears checked out, hearing test....and just as suspected moderate hearing loss is what they classified it as.

Not only do I need one, but 2 hearing aids. I like the ones least visible, in your ear, not behind. These suckers can cost 3g's each.....huh ?? Guy tells me lots of technology in these things. I said really ? More than an IPhone ? Because an IPhone has lots of tech in it for 700 bucks. Oh, and HC insurance surprisingly doesn't cover them either....go figure, right ?

Doing my research now, and I'm finding many who spent the 3g's on certain brands didn't like them. There are no refunds, no home trials, unless you go to places like Miracle ear and you'll pay upwards of 7g's for the services. Such a scam with these things as it appears a handful of companies make these things and others slap their brand name on them and jack the price. I'm not looking for the latest and greatest, put automatic volume adjustment is an option I'd like. Don't need wifi connected to my phone but also don't want to have to manually adjust every time the noise environment changes.

So my questions to all you old timers is, is there certain brands to look for, stay away from ? Any online sites that offer trial periods ? Better pricing ? Do some work better than others ? What's been your experience with these over priced pieces of junk ?
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @tonyb

I've found that HORNS are by far the most effective...

d238ca3df765fd751a8d79bd4454f3de.jpg

EarHorn.jpg

Want to hear better.... just get a BIGGER HORN
    hearing-aid.jpg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Tony, I've been cursed with Hearing Loss and the need for Hearing Aids for many years now, my best advice is to go out and try on as many different styles as you can.

Settle on the most comfortable pair, as you will be wearing these things for the majority of the rest of your life. I have the "Behind the ear" style as the only thing suck in my ear is the soft, pliable, ear piece. These are also the most cost friendly type. The Batteries are less expensive also.

I've had the style of aids that fits entirely in the ear and they were very uncomfortable by the end of the day, but that's maybe just me.

The upside is, you can hear again, I can still remember the first morning I walked out onto the deck and I could hear the birds singing, I hadn't experienced that for years previous.
  • Guys, hearing loss isn't joke material.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    TForan wrote: »
    Guys, hearing loss isn't joke material.

Especially when you love good Audio...

• Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited April 2017
    Tony go with the least cost alternative that works for now... 2 years from now revisit again and see what new technology/surgical options can bring.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited April 2017
    I know Bose isn't loved around here, but they are looking into hearing loss products:

http://hearphones.bose.com

Not classified as a hearing aid, since this would then need all the FDA stuff that goes along with it. It's a first generation product so it has limited availability. You have to go to one of the listed stores to buy them out. Still, you get to try them out so it's less risky than traditional hearing aids, and they cost quite a bit less the options listed. Plus side is that you can use them for music too.

Although I work for the company, I am watching how this product does in the market so I can get a pair for my father. He currently uses a wireless over-ear headset to watch TV.
  • tonyb
    You guys are funny. Maybe you missed it, but I'm looking for the LEAST visible options, that Bose product doesn't fit the criteria. Thanks anyway.

I realize the behind the ear units have become way smaller these days, but still...a wire coming out my ear is not desirable for me. Nobody with experience on these in-ear solutions ?

Mikey,
    That advice is more so what I'm thinking. I'm just afraid if I go too cheap it would turn me off to future purchases. There's a distinction with hearing aids, the kind that just amplify sound, and the kind that adjust and compensate for talking on your cell phone, wind noise....like driving in your car with the window down, reducing tinnitus, etc. I don't need to hear louder, just clearer.....especially with dialogue. I want to try my best at making it a pleasurable experience, so I don't get aggravated and give up on the idea.

The test also showed I have a hard time with words staring with a PH-CH-SH...so I told the wife....don't use those words then. lol. Put a list of words on the fridge, so people know what not to say to me. :) Besides....we're both Italians, sign language is big in our world.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I was told at a young age that i would need them at 30. Well, i am only a couple years beyond that and my wife tries to have "the talk" with me about them on a monthly basis. Apparently i never hear her...

I do work in construction and my ears take a beating daily. Like you, i need to just face the music and start to consider my options.

My reasoning for not wanting them is because i feel they would "Crimp My Style" and the ladies don't like no hearing assistance :D
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited April 2017
    Tony:

I have nothing of real value or substance to add to this conversation. So I will simply say I'm sorry you (not @mrbiron, just you :wink:) are in this predicament, and bow out.

Regards
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    edited April 2017
    I was going to insert old f a r t joke hear (pun)......but hearing loss is no laughing matter, especially for us audiofools. I have been taking measures the past 3-5 years to protect my hearing at concerts or any loud events. I wasn't too reckless when I was younger and I didn't work jobs with dangerous levels of decibels.

My gf calls me an old man when we go to concerts as I normally use earplugs. Right now I still have excellent hearing except during the cursed allergy season when my head/ears/nose is stuffed.

Good luck on your quest Tony, lots of good technology out there, just takes some research and user feedback.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Do as much research as possible; try to find ones that you'll actually use. Saving a kilobuck on hearing aids you don't like will leave you with something expensive and unused! Your professionals should be able to tell you what various models can do, you can choose based on features/comfort/how well they 'disappear'...

My father-in-law (lifelong carpenter who apprenticed in a shop in Germany next to LOUD machinery with no protection as a teen) had become increasingly withdrawn and unable to participate in conversations, etc.--He just got a pair of aids that can be adjusted via a phone app (!!) to account for different needs. So the talk about tech packed into them is no joke! Anyway, now my mother-in-law needs to ask him to turn the TV louder (and trust me, it used to be BLARING!). So major improvements can be had!

I wish you well in getting your hearing back to(wards) par--I suspect I'll be making that same choice in the next 20 years as I have some deficit at this point in my life.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    edited April 2017
    Right behind you Tony. Between construction, fire alarm inspections, and shooting, I'm good now but know my day is coming.

The worst part is when the wife asks "Did you not hear what I said" and you won't have an excuse
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,309
    I have had a high frequency hearing loss since I was in middle school, and it doesn't have to be all that high either. And now, for a long time, any kind of background noise, washes out what I am actually trying to hear. Half of the time when I talk to people, I am augmenting my hearing with lip reading.

Unfortunately, being "hard of hearing" is annoying to other people. That's the worst part. If you have poor eyesight or are blind, they take pity on you or, at the very least, make allowances for your handicap. If you can't hear well and they have to repeat themselves, they get angry.

I hope you can find some affordable option for your problem, Tony.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Go talk to your ENT Dr. before you go talk to the folks who are wanting to get you into their best profit margin piece. I know it would be my first step.
    If you have already been there then just ignore this :p
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Right behind you Tony. Between construction, fire alarm inspections, and shooting, I'm good now but know my day is coming.

Those fire alarm inspections are killer. I love when walking through with the fire marshal's and they always say,
    "i want the alarm at max setting!"
    But sir, my ears are already bleeding...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • decal
    decal Posts: 3,205
    This is exactly why I wore hearing protection for 30 years in the offshore oil and gas industry. I just turned 60 and still have very good hearing. Proper hearing protection blocks out noise not sound.
    If you can't hear a difference, don't waste your money.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 342
    edited April 2017
    This innovative Australian company is a world-renowned leader in hearing implants and are very well regarded :) .
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    just be sure not to sign up for their app as they may listen in on your life ;)
  • tonyb
    Willow wrote: »
    just be sure not to sign up for their app as they may listen in on your life ;)

Or send me subliminal messages to vote for who they want. lol The more research I do, the more I understand there isn't a whole lot of options.

I just thought some of you old timers might have some personal experience with these things. I've done the Google thing, stuff all looks the same, reviews are suspect at best so there are no real due diligence avenues left to take, aside from shooting in the dark and hoping for the best.

I'm somewhat surprised too, not like hearing aids are anything new, they've been around a very long time. Maybe I'll wait a bit longer, it is aggravating for people trying to have a conversation with you but I have a quota of people to piss off on a daily basis. ;)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    I always get a kick out of the Miracle Ear commercials on the radio... That and the braile on the drive up ATM's
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Sorry, you are in this condition Tony. Yes it is expensive to get hearing aids/glasses. Every time I need to get my eye script updated it costs me up to 1000.00!

I need two pairs of multi focals, one pair to wear while the second one is being made. and two pairs of readers one for home and one for work.

The most important thing is to find something that is comfortable to wear. Quite frankly, If I have to choose between looking uncool vs actually hearing the world and conversations around me, I'm going with hearing!

It's also a hell of a lot better than standing a foot from someone, and shouting at the top of your lungs at them just so you can hear your own voice. Now THAT is beyond annoying!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Gatecrasher
    Gatecrasher Posts: 1,550
    edited April 2017
    I never realized just how expensive hearing aids were until my Father finally got one.

I'll call him this weekend and find out what kind he has and how he likes it.

If it were me though I'd be more concerned with performance than how stylish I looked wearing it.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I wonder if you can get an in-ear aid that gives super hearing. That would be great for listening to the stereo, evaluating cables, etc.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • MrBuhl
    MrBuhl Posts: 2,419
    Opened up my Dad's entire world, (Shop teacher, tank commander) once he finally got them, always said it was the best decision he ever made. He had little in ear jobbies that he had to manually adjust the volume on, but didn't seem to bother him. That was 10+ years ago, what you seek is out there.

Wish the Mrs. would get one, she gets pissed at ME because she can't hear... huh?
    VA HT HK AVR20II, Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD, Polk Audio RC80i / Polk Audio CSi3, 60" Panasonic Plasma, Nordost / Signal Cable A2 / Wireworld / Pangea / Magic Power
    VA 2 Channel Focal Electra 926 speakers, Pass Labs X150.5 Amp, Eastern Electric MiniMax Preamp (Tutay mods), Eastern Electric Minimax CDP (Scott Nixon mods), Music Hall mmf 5.1 Turntable, Parks Audio Budgie Phono Pre , Audioengine B1 streamer, MIT S3 IC's / MIT Shotgun S3 Speaker Cables / PS Audio power cables
    Noggin Schiit Valhalla, Pangea, Phillips Fidelio X1, Polk UF8000

Polk SDA1c modded
    Polk CRS+ 4.1TL modded (need veneer)
    Polk SDA2BTL (fully modded)
    A/L 1000VA Dreadnought Canare 4s11 SDA cable
    SACD Marantz DV8300
    Sony S9000ES CD/DVD/SACD
    Yamaha YP-D6
    Soundcraftsmen PCR800
    Audible Illusions L1 Preamp
    Vincent MFA based Cocci Tube Preamp
    Pho-700 Phono Pre
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution IC's

• tonyb
    Performance is an issue with these things, as well as reliability. Nobody wants a hearing aid that makes everything sound like a Monoprice cable. I also see that getting 4 years trouble free from these things is an achievement. Most have a 2 or 3 year warranty though. Just have a hard time wrapping my head around spending that kind of cash for something that might last 4 years. Like buying a new Cub Cadet every 4 years, wouldn't that piss you off ?

Maybe Matt Polk will get into hearing aids and create an SDA one. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    tonyb wrote: »
    Then there's that uncool cable running behind your head
  • tonyb
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    tonyb wrote: »
    Then there's that uncool cable running behind your head

True dat.....don't want to feel like I've been assimilated into the Borg collective. I've heard once you start wearing these things, you have a craving for Bingo halls, 50% off night at Olive garden, and reruns of Phil Donahue.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's