polks terrible website

12346»

Comments

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 9,425
    My first receiver was a RS Lafayette model, and it worked pretty good. At least I enjoyed it at the time, along with the AR turntable, Shure cartridge, Sony RTR, and Pioneer CS-A700 speakers. The Sansui that replaced it didn't seem all that much better.
    Bud

Lumin S1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-20 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon for source, Denali 2000 (2) for amps
    Shunyata Z Anaconda XLR analog ICs, Z Anaconda speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables
    Revelation Audio Cryo-Silver Reference DB-25 umbilical power cable for preamp modules

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 8,476
    A lot of the Radio Shack stuff was OEM, rebadge stuff from companies like Sansui and Sony but usually at a cheaper price
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures, Simaudio 780D DAC
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Modwright LS100, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 7,279
    We never got any Allied catalogs but the Radio Shack catalogs from the early 60's to early 70's were good reads. And of couse the Heathkit catalog required a decent amount of gawk/wish time.

MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 15,303
    I don't need encouragement ;)

FWIW, my ever-growing, albeit with glacial slowness, collection of Heathkit catalog scans may be found @ https://flic.kr/s/aHsk3wZ2hc

11947040984_4833bdcafa_b.jpgHeathkit0001 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

32596428976_96baf76062_b.jpgHeathkit 1964 Christmas by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I think I may be a wee bit off-topic...
    "Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 7,049
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    A lot of the Radio Shack stuff was OEM, rebadge stuff from companies like Sansui and Sony but usually at a cheaper price

I had a pair of Optimus speakers that were rebadged Yamahas.
    | Front - Dynaudio Emit M20 | Center - N/A | Rear - Polk Monitor 4 | Sub - N/A |
    | AVR - Yamaha Aventage RX-A1020 | Preamp - Dared MC-7P | Amp - B&K Reference 4420 |
    | Turntable - Yamaha PX-3 | Cartridge - Dynavector DV-20X2H | Digital Source - AURALiC Aries Mini |
    | TV - LG 60" 4K | Gaming - Xbox One - PS3 - New 3DS XL - Nvidia Shield TV |

This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality
    Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal
    All this pain is an illusion
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 16,606
    Would those have been the early Mach Ones
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono twin chassis phono preamplifier, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Stradivari v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X1 two channel preamplifier Signed by Poppa himself, Pioneer PDD 9MkII SACD Player, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo BDP-95 Bluray, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds

edited June 6
    No -- the Yamaha OEM came much, much later -- and they were pretty dismal Yamaha three-ways, at that (no offense to Mr. Nightfall).

The STS-100, e.g. (seen here in the 1998 catalog, from www.radioshackcatalogs.com)

110.jpg

The Yamaha morph was the NS-A636.
    I found a pair of 'em at the Harvard (MA) town dump many years back-- but, even at that price, I thought they were a poor value ;)

17680135616_7409d548d0_b.jpgdumpyamahae by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

(That dump-find CR-220's a pretty nice, albeit very entry level receiver, though -- but it predates the speakers by a couple of decades)

"Some amps run on self bias, some amps run on fixed bias. But his amps run on confirmation bias." -- seen on audioasylum

Tell y'all what -- if there is sufficient interest in the R/S, Lafayette, Allied, Heathkit "topic", let's start another thread.

This is way off topic for this one ("Polk's Terrible Website")... even by my stream of consciousness standards!

:)

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 8,118
    The Radio Shack catalog wasn't quite up there with the Heathkit Bible but I'd rank it ahead of the Sears catalog. I'm talking before RS turned into the cellphone and AA battery store.

You left out the all important radio controlled cars
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,543
    edited June 6
    Sorry, was supposed to be a PM.

That's what I get for leaving too many windows open.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • gimpodgimpod Posts: 1,707
    edited June 6
    Jstas wrote: »
    Sorry, was supposed to be a PM.

That's what I get for leaving too many windows open.

Yea - Likely story. :wink:
    BTW: The voices do talk to me, I think they need there mouths washed out. :o

I just hate it when I've spent an hour or more (I can be long winded type with one finger while hitting the right key about 75% of time or hitting 2 keys at once) writing a post only to hit the wrong keys or click the wrong button and pouf every things gone and 95% of the time I can't get it back. Thank god I don't use speech to text!

I wish this forum editor was more functional and had multiple levels of history.
    "If you design software that any moron can use only morons will use it." JMO
    ---
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain

Unfortunately for most of us we only get to experience the first day and then we can't even remember it.
    ---
    "Close only counts in Horseshoes, Hand Grenades and Thermonuclear Weapons."
    "50% Why... That's almost half."
    "I know, I'm sick and need help."
    ----
    www.gimpod.com
    ----
    "The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction." ~ Kenneth Swauger
12346»